Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM   #1
Majutsushi
Majutsushi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Libra Colour
[Metadata Source Plugin] Apple Books covers

I recently discovered that iTunes has an API that lets you search for books available on the Apple Books store, and makes high-resolution covers available for them. And so taking the idea from the Kindle hi-res covers plugin I decided to make this API available as Calibre plugin.

The nice thing about the API is that you don't need to know any Apple Books-specific identifier for a book, you can just search by title and/or author. The one downside is that the store is country-specific, so you may need to configure your country in the plugin's settings. I've also added an optional secondary country setting in case you often want to search for books from different countries. Unfortunately there's no way to just search all country stores.

If available in the metadata the plugin will first try to look up the book's ISBN directly, and if unsuccessful it will fall back to the search mentioned above.

Note that the API documentation says that there is a rate limit of about 20 requests per minute, although I haven't been able to trigger that yet. Configuring two countries means there will be more requests per search, so there is a chance that this will hit the rate limit earlier.

The source is available here: https://github.com/majutsushi/apple-books-covers
Attached Files
File Type: zip Apple.Books.covers-v0.1.0.zip (21.2 KB, 5 views)
Majutsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:35 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I did some testing on 20 books with your plugin and it seems to return the same hi-res covers as the Kobo Metadata plugin in most cases. On 2 books, the Kobo Metadata plugin returned the correct hi-res covers and the Apple Books plugin returned an incorrect cover. On another book, the Apple Books plugin returned the correct hi-res cover and the Kobo Metadata plugin returned an incorrect cover.

Thanks very much for an useful addition to calibre's cover downloader toolset.

Edit: added a couple of images of cover options.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-08-03 214054.png
Views:	7
Size:	426.5 KB
ID:	209941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-08-03 214704.png
Views:	7
Size:	555.4 KB
ID:	209942  

Last edited by DNSB; Today at 12:48 AM. Reason: Attach image of cover downloads
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 01:23 AM   #3
Majutsushi
Majutsushi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Libra Colour
Yeah it's probably expected that the ebooks in different stores will often have the same cover, but since this uses an official API it should hopefully be more reliable than scraping websites.
Majutsushi is offline   Reply With Quote