Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-24-2024, 01:28 AM   #1
Mr.Feras
Mr.Feras began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle scribe, PW5
Third party dictionaries?

Hi!
I recently saw the post by enterio about some features on the kindle scribe and MTP, and he mentioned third party dictionaries, which I was not aware were possible with kindles.

so, can someone explain the method for this? I'm certain it involves converting to kfx, but is there a header or setting in calibre and the plugin to make the kindle think that this a dictionary instead of a normal book, for looking up words.

thanks.

Last edited by Mr.Feras; 04-24-2024 at 01:30 AM.
Mr.Feras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 09:34 AM   #2
Enterio
Enterio began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th gen
On my Kindle (Paperwhite, 11th gen), the dictionaries are held in the "\documents\dictionaries" subfolder (I kept my firmware to an older version to keep my USB connection).
When I bought them online (on Amazon, see Kindle Default Dictionaries category), I received pre-made MOBI files that I only had to place in the aforementioned subfolder, without converting them to other file formats.
Afterwards, I set up my default dictionaries for every language on my Kindle in Settings → Language & Dictionaries → Dictionaries.

Hope that helped.
Enterio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2024, 11:11 PM   #3
Mr.Feras
Mr.Feras began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle scribe, PW5
Got it! thank you.
Mr.Feras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 04:32 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Feras View Post
Hi!
I recently saw the post by enterio about some features on the kindle scribe and MTP, and he mentioned third party dictionaries, which I was not aware were possible with kindles.

so, can someone explain the method for this? I'm certain it involves converting to kfx, but is there a header or setting in calibre and the plugin to make the kindle think that this a dictionary instead of a normal book, for looking up words.

thanks.
Kindle dictionary format is the original MOBI format, not KFX. They appear as .azw on the Kindle

I do not think you need to put them in /documents/dictionaries (anywhere in /documents should work), but it's probably convenient to keep them there.

This is a good article about where to find 3rd party dictionaries or how to create your own:

Kindle Dictionary Guide: How to Add, Change, and Create Custom Kindle Dictionaries
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 10:44 PM   #5
Pen&Paper
Enthusiast
Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite & Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Kindle dictionary format is the original MOBI format, not KFX. They appear as .azw on the Kindle

I do not think you need to put them in /documents/dictionaries (anywhere in /documents should work), but it's probably convenient to keep them there.

This is a good article about where to find 3rd party dictionaries or how to create your own:

Kindle Dictionary Guide: How to Add, Change, and Create Custom Kindle Dictionaries
Thanks. I didn’t know it existed. I wonder if it’s possible to convert for Kindle this dictionary based on Wiktionary.

https://github.com/BoboTiG/ebook-reader-dict
Pen&Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2024, 01:03 AM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen&Paper View Post
Thanks. I didn’t know it existed. I wonder if it’s possible to convert for Kindle this dictionary based on Wiktionary.

https://github.com/BoboTiG/ebook-reader-dict
It should be possible, but interesting they do have not figured out how to make it available for Kindle there, given how comparatively popular Kindle is.

I think you could dump StarDict to XML and then it should be 'relatively easy' to migrate to mobi dictionary format.
Old 04-29-2024, 12:08 PM   #7
Pen&Paper
Enthusiast
Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pen&Paper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It should be possible, but interesting they do have not figured out how to make it available for Kindle there, given how comparatively popular Kindle is.

I think you could dump StarDict to XML and then it should be 'relatively easy' to migrate to mobi dictionary format.
I found this github project. Many languages. There are dictionaries for Kindle in mobi fomat. Haven't tested yet.

https://github.com/Vuizur/Wiktionary-Dictionaries
Old 04-29-2024, 12:23 PM   #8
Pen&Paper
Enthusiast

Quote:
I found this github project. Many languages. There are dictionaries for Kindle in mobi fomat. Haven't tested yet.

https://github.com/Vuizur/Wiktionary-Dictionaries
EDIT : Not working on my Paperwhite...
Old 04-29-2024, 12:41 PM   #9
Pen&Paper
Enthusiast

I tested it on my Paperwhite. Was not working...
Old 04-29-2024, 08:39 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I tested it on my Paperwhite. Was not working...
You might file an issue on GitHub. Whatever I downloaded is not .mobi format as far as I can tell (calibre could not convert it, KindleUnpack could not unpack it).
Old 04-30-2024, 12:25 AM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For me, KindleUnpack started to unpack it before calibre gave the following error message:

Spoiler:
calibre, version 7.9.100
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>TypeError</b>:a bytes-like object is required, not 'str'

calibre 7.9.100* embedded-python: True
Windows-10-10.0.22631-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.22631')
Python 3.11.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.22631', 'SP0', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
EXE path: C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibre.exe
Successfully initialized third party plugins: ACSM Input (0, 1, 0) && Gather KFX-ZIP (from KFX Input) (2, 10, 0) && DeDRM (10, 0, 9) && AZW6 Image Merge (1, 1, 1) && Package KFX (from KFX Input) (2, 10, 0) && ACSM Input Plugin GUI Extension (0, 1, 0) && Barnes & Noble (1, 5, 4) && Count Pages (1, 13, 6) && Diaps Editing Toolbag (0, 4, 0) && EpubCheck (0, 2, 5) && EpubMerge (2, 18, 0) && EpubSplit (3, 7, 0) && FanFicFare (4, 33, 0) && Find Duplicates (1, 10, 9) && Generate Cover (2, 3, 4) && Job Spy (1, 0, 239) && KFX metadata reader (from KFX Input) (2, 10, 0) && From KFX (2, 10, 0) && KFX Input (2, 10, 0) && Set KFX metadata (from KFX Output) (2, 7, 0) && KFX Output (2, 7, 0) && Kindle hi-res covers (0, 5, 1) && KindleUnpack - The Plugin (0, 83, 1) && Kobo Books (1, 10, 2) && Kobo Metadata (1, 5, 0) && Kobo Utilities (2, 16, 13) && KoboTouchExtended (3, 6, 7) && Modify ePub (1, 8, 3) && Obok DeDRM (10, 0, 9) && Open With (1, 8, 3) && Quality Check (1, 13, 10) && Resize Cover (1, 2, 1) && ScrambleEbook (0, 6, 0) && SmartEject (2, 5, 0) && Smashwords Metadata (1, 0, 2)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.action", line 271, in unpack_ebook
File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.mobi_stuf f", line 124, in unpackMOBI
File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.kindleunpackc ore.kindleunpack", line 934, in unpackBook
File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.kindleunpackc ore.kindleunpack", line 855, in process_all_mobi_headers
File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.kindleunpackc ore.kindleunpack", line 632, in processMobi7
File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.kindleunpackc ore.mobi_dict", line 200, in getPositionMap
UnicodeEncodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't encode characters in position 0-1: surrogates not allowed

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.action", line 273, in unpack_ebook
File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.utilities ", line 105, in showErrorDlg
File "traceback.py", line 183, in print_exc
File "traceback.py", line 125, in print_exception
File "traceback.py", line 982, in print
TypeError: a bytes-like object is required, not 'str'

OTOH, I seem to remember it being mentioned that the Mobi dictionary format was not the same as the standard mobi format.

Edit: Just for the heck of it, I copied the English-English Wiktionary file into /documents/dictionaries on my Paperwhite 10th gen. It showed up when I displayed English dictionaries and I was able to select it. A word lookup from within a book worked. All in all, I would say the dictionary does work on a Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2024_04_29T21_29_08-0700.png
Views:	25
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	207928   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2024_04_29T21_29_20-0700.png
Views:	21
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	207929   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2024_04_29T21_35_02-0700.png
Views:	32
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	207930  

Last edited by DNSB; 04-30-2024 at 12:36 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:08 AM   #12
Pen&Paper
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For me, KindleUnpack started to unpack it before calibre gave the following error message:

Spoiler:
calibre, version 7.9.100
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>TypeError</b>:a bytes-like object is required, not 'str'

Python 3.11.5
Successfully initialized third party plugins: ACSM Input (0, 1, 0) && Gather KFX-ZIP (from KFX Input) (2, 10, 0) && DeDRM (10, 0, 9) && AZW6 Image Merge (1, 1, 1) && Package KFX (from KFX Input) (2, 10, 0) && ACSM Input Plugin GUI Extension (0, 1, 0) && Barnes & Noble (1, 5, 4) && Count Pages (1, 13, 6) && Diaps Editing Toolbag (0, 4, 0) && EpubCheck (0, 2, 5) && EpubMerge (2, 18, 0) && EpubSplit (3, 7, 0) && FanFicFare (4, 33, 0) && Find Duplicates (1, 10, 9) && Generate Cover (2, 3, 4) && Job Spy (1, 0, 239) && KFX metadata reader (from KFX Input) (2, 10, 0) && From KFX (2, 10, 0) && KFX Input (2, 10, 0) && Set KFX metadata (from KFX Output) (2, 7, 0) && KFX Output (2, 7, 0) && Kindle hi-res covers (0, 5, 1) && KindleUnpack - The Plugin (0, 83, 1) && Kobo Books (1, 10, 2) && Kobo Metadata (1, 5, 0) && Kobo Utilities (2, 16, 13) && KoboTouchExtended (3, 6, 7) && Modify ePub (1, 8, 3) && Obok DeDRM (10, 0, 9) && Open With (1, 8, 3) && Quality Check (1, 13, 10) && Resize Cover (1, 2, 1) && ScrambleEbook (0, 6, 0) && SmartEject (2, 5, 0) && Smashwords Metadata (1, 0, 2)
File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.kindleunpackc ore.kindleunpack", line 934, in unpackBook
File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.kindleunpackc ore.kindleunpack", line 855, in process_all_mobi_headers
File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.kindleunpackc ore.kindleunpack", line 632, in processMobi7
File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.kindleunpackc ore.mobi_dict", line 200, in getPositionMap
UnicodeEncodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't encode characters in position 0-1: surrogates not allowed

File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.utilities ", line 105, in showErrorDlg

OTOH, I seem to remember it being mentioned that the Mobi dictionary format was not the same as the standard mobi format.

Edit: Just for the heck of it, I copied the English-English Wiktionary file into /documents/dictionaries on my Paperwhite 10th gen. It showed up when I displayed English dictionaries and I was able to select it. A word lookup from within a book worked. All in all, I would say the dictionary does work on a Kindle.
As far as I can see, this Wiktionary doesn't seem to include the etymology of the word like the one made for Kobo.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:44 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

Spoiler:
calibre, version 7.9.100

Python 3.11.5

Well, it is standard mobi, and there was a specification for it on Mobipocket.com (probably still kicking around on Archive.org?). It has not changed as far as I know.

Seems there may be encoding issue?

Last edited by tomsem; 04-30-2024 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-30-2024, 09:19 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Well, it is standard mobi, and there was a specification for it on Mobipocket.com (probably still kicking around on Archive.org?). It has not changed as far as I know.

Seems there may be encoding issue?
Seems as if it works on my Paperwhite 10th gen.

When I unpacked it and then unpacked the kindlegensrc.zip file, it seemed to match what I saw in Creating Dictionaries which has several differences from a standard mobi.

The log file indicated it was created by KindleGen 2.9 under Windows with several warnings.
Attached Files
File Type: txt kindlegenbuild.log.txt (1.8 KB, 4 views)
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote