Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-01-2024, 01:20 PM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaby View Post
I find that non-disabled people almost always say this about something new that they deem unnecessary until they try it, like it, and then it’s ok for everyone to want it. You don’t have to be disabled to want this. It’s doesn’t have to be a matter of laziness. It’s perfectly fine to just want the convenience of something.
Oddly enough, I have tried several page turners, physical, Bluetooth and WiFi. One part of my career was working with disabled students to help them to have as much independence as possible in learning. I also helped people outside work set their page-turners up. While most could be made to work, I did not find them worthwhile for me. As I said, with ereaders being a niche device with total sales of ereaders being a rounding error in Apple or Samsung sales, page turners for eInk ereaders are a niche within a niche market.

Quote:
I don’t know if you’ve been paying attention but page turners are popular in this niche community. Go on any book community social media and you’ll find it in nearly every ereader must have video. These are regular people not nerds like us here. I’m willing to bet good money the majority of these people using page turners aren’t disabled.
Within the group of people I know IRL who use ereaders, the percentage of users with disabilities that would prevent them from holding their ereader in their hands is rather low. For that fraction that has issues, assistive technology while maybe not a "life-saver", does help them to enjoy some quality of life. However, I think I am close to reality when I say that the vast majority of ereader users do not want or need a page turner.

Quote:
I am disabled. I don’t hold my Kindle often. When I do hold it it’s because I’m outside and tilted back in my wheelchair. I use gravity to help me hold it. My pager turners are assistive technology (AT) for me just like my Kindle. When I’m reading in bed my Kindle sits on my overbed table on a tablet stand. I can read while upright or reclined in my hospital bed.

This would’ve been so useful back when I still playing violin. Someone always had to turn the page for me.
I have no objection to page turners per se. What I object to is the people who appear to be claiming that more than a small minority of ereader users want and would make use of a page turner. Even with iOS or Android tablets, where setting up a page turner is relatively trivial, you don't see many people making use of a page turner.

I remember being a page turner while at university. It got me into the concerts for free and forced me to concentrate on the music to know when to flip the page. Sadly, I was never good enough at playing any instrument to think of a career in a folk group.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 01:32 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@JBaby you cannot post images from Tapatalk. They don't work. Can you please edit your post and attach them?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2024, 01:34 PM   #33
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
@JBaby you cannot post images from Tapatalk. They don't work. Can you please edit your post and attach them?
Jon, just to make you happy and save you the effort of having to open the links:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jbaby_01.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	207280   Click image for larger version

Name:	jbaby_02.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	207281  
Old 04-01-2024, 02:23 PM   #34
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Jon, just to make you happy and save you the effort of having to open the links:
While I generally enjoy when Jon receives a good ribbing, in this case I also didn't see the images nor links in the post -- they just showed up as cloud icons w/ an exclamation warning symbol on them.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 02:27 PM   #35
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Does being a niche within a niche matter? Pocket, wiki, Dropbox,...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2024, 02:40 PM   #36
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Does being a niche within a niche matter? Pocket, wiki, Dropbox,...
When it comes to requesting a company include functionality that will cost more than the increase in sales will compensate for, it's a tough sell.
Old 04-01-2024, 02:42 PM   #37
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
While I generally enjoy when Jon receives a good ribbing, in this case I also didn't see the images nor links in the post -- they just showed up as cloud icons w/ an exclamation warning symbol on them.
I grabbed the URLs and looked at them when I quoted the original message. I still had the pages open so made it trivial to download them and then attach to a message.
Old 04-01-2024, 02:45 PM   #38
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I also didn't see the images nor links in the post -- they just showed up as cloud icons w/ an exclamation warning symbol on them.
Yes, MR "helpfully" blocks all external images. In order to view them, you must right click on the image, copy the image URL, paste it into another browser tab, and delete the useless MR proxy part of the link (in bold):

Code:
https://usercontent.mobileread.org/proxy/nMi9IHtJmjW69jlpohoxWKrp684/aHR0cHM6Ly91cGxvYWRzLnRhcGF0YWxrLWNkbi5jb20vMjAyNDA0MDEvZDI1MTFhMjY1ZTcwMzhjYzg2Y2EyOGFlMjQ4NjFhYzQuanBn#https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240401/d2511a265e7038cc86ca28ae24861ac4.jpg
Once you isolate the actual image URL, you can view the image. Why the staff doesn't fix this, I have no idea. It would make more sense to ban the use of the img tag than to allow people to post images that nobody can actually see without extra work.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 02:49 PM   #39
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Yes, MR "helpfully" blocks all external images. In order to view them, you must right click on the image, copy the image URL, paste it into another browser tab, and delete the useless MR proxy part of the link (in bold):

Code:
https://usercontent.mobileread.org/proxy/nMi9IHtJmjW69jlpohoxWKrp684/aHR0cHM6Ly91cGxvYWRzLnRhcGF0YWxrLWNkbi5jb20vMjAyNDA0MDEvZDI1MTFhMjY1ZTcwMzhjYzg2Y2EyOGFlMjQ4NjFhYzQuanBn#https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240401/d2511a265e7038cc86ca28ae24861ac4.jpg
Once you isolate the actual image URL, you can view the image. Why the staff doesn't fix this, I have no idea. It would make more sense to ban the use of the img tag than to allow people to post images that nobody can actually see without extra work.
I find it easier to quote the message so the URLs are easily available. I noparsed the two links from the original message below:

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240401/d2511a265e7038cc86ca28ae24861ac4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240401/1d4bab97bacf12e6b74c99b5b1311db2.jpg[/IMG]

Just using URL at least gives us something we can click on.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...ae24861ac4.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...b5b1311db2.jpg

Last edited by DNSB; 04-01-2024 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-01-2024, 03:01 PM   #40
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
But, as JSWolf requested and you did, attaching images is best.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 03:03 PM   #41
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
But, as JSWolf requested and you did, attaching images is best.
I agree with that as the thumbnails are worth the effort. What I was discussing was the best way to handle those sites that don't work with IMG tags or for people who have issues using the Manage Attachments tool.
Old 04-01-2024, 03:16 PM   #42
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
attaching images is best.
No, fixing the IMG tags so they work properly would be even better.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 03:41 PM   #43
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
When it comes to requesting a company include functionality that will cost more than the increase in sales will compensate for, it's a tough sell.
And yet pocket, wiki, Dropbox,...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 03:43 PM   #44
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Not when the image URL no longer exists.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 03:43 PM   #45
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Considering the issue is several sites that do not permit access by other websites, that would be unlikely to happen even if Mobileread was in active development.

Perhaps you can suggest a quick fix for the issue of Youtube videos that will not display from other websites?