Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-21-2024, 08:37 PM   #1
tigrpal
tigrpal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th Gen.
RAM too small?

I've added a study Bible to my Paperwhite. File is 32 mb. Lots of footnotes and links to take you to different parts of the Bible. It often, not always, causes my Paperwhite to crash not only while I'm using the Bible but sometimes when I'm reading other books. I do a restart and it works fine for a while. When I remove the Bible from my Paperwhite, no crashes. Reload and it starts to crash again so I know the problem is this book. The Bible works fine in my Kindle app on my phone. Is the Bible using up too much RAM causing the crashes? If so, I will start to look for another device with more RAM unless anyone has a better solution.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
tigrpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 09:06 PM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It's more likely that that particular Bible is poorly formatted. The larger an e-book is, the more complex the code becomes, and the more chances there are for something to be handled incorrectly. Religious texts are some of the largest and most complex e-books you can get.

If you remove DRM from your books, you can load it into Calibre or Sigil to check it for errors. If you don't, your only option would be to buy a different Bible and hope for better results on round two.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 02:06 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
As an alternate to the study Bible being poorly formatted, one bible that I looked at that a friend was complaining about had a almost ridiculously complex table of contents with over 42K entries. The issue was not the formatting which was bog standard. The main issue I found was that keeping that oversized table of contents in memory caused memory starvation on an ereader with it's limited RAM memory.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 02:19 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I am curious: is this PDF, or a Kindle format?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 02:34 PM   #5
tigrpal

Kindle formatted.

Last edited by tigrpal; 04-22-2024 at 02:37 PM. Reason: added info
Old 04-22-2024, 02:53 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Bibles can really push the limits in terms of number of ToC entries. I've also had some trouble feeding omnibus collections in ePub format to Send To Kindle for the same reason. Last time I had trouble, it seemed the limit was somewhere in range of 1500-2000.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 05:08 PM   #7
tigrpal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Bibles can really push the limits in terms of number of ToC entries. I've also had some trouble feeding omnibus collections in ePub format to Send To Kindle for the same reason. Last time I had trouble, it seemed the limit was somewhere in range of 1500-2000.
So can this be solved with more RAM? My Kindle has 512MB. Some Android ereaders have 2, 3 or 6 gb of RAM. Would they be better for such a book as this?
Old 04-22-2024, 10:45 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Probably yes. As you mentioned the Kindle app on your phone shows no issues so likely any iOS or Android device with more memory would work.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote