Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-12-2024, 03:10 AM   #1
Anon Retired
Member Retired
Anon Retired began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Shine 3
Kindle Basic 2022 Not booting / low battery

Hi there! I've got a used Kindle 2022, sold "for parts", and I'm trying to make it boot somehow. What I've currently tried:
- Countless times the 40s button press trick, to no avail.
- Left it charging overnight, in the beginning, it's charging at around 5.1V and 0.2A, but slowly the current diminished to 0.04-0.03A (the no-load current being 0.015A). When the current got that low, the amber charging light stopped, but I never got a green charging light from it.
- Disconnected its battery, waited around 12 hours before plugging it in and trying again to charge it (and the button press trick), still nothing.

If it matters, when I first disconnected the battery the voltage measured at its terminals was 4V. I don't know what I could try anymore, I feel like I've bought an e-ink frisbee. If you're interested, here is the backside of it. If needed, I can provide more images (and better-quality ones). Thanks!
Anon Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 05:38 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
4V is nearly charged. About 4.2V is full and approximately 3.6V is empty.

So the issue is electronics.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 06:16 AM   #3
Anon Retired
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
4V is nearly charged. About 4.2V is full and approximately 3.6V is empty.

So the issue is electronics.
Thanks for your input, what a lovely thing to hear . If it matters, I also tried the 40s trick with the battery unplugged and the Kindle charging, but it still didn't turn on. I was wondering if I could find a reset swtich / jumpers somewhere on the motherboard, maybe there's another way of hard resetting these devices.

If you would be in my pants, what would you try to do with it (in regard to troubleshooting mainly)?
Old 04-12-2024, 06:28 AM   #4
Anon Retired
Member Retired

Also, when talking about not turning on, its behavior is: the status LED lights up green for 2-3s, then flashes green slowly, twice, and finally flashes amber fast, 5 times - rinse and repeat.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:52 PM   #5
Ancanar
Ancanar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Are You charging it with wall outlet charger? I had simmilar problem and the reader magically worked when i pluged it into my notebook usb socket and charged that way.
Ancanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 01:44 AM   #6
Anon Retired
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancanar View Post
Are You charging it with wall outlet charger? I had simmilar problem and the reader magically worked when i pluged it into my notebook usb socket and charged that way.
I charged it using both a wall outlet and a computer USB (laptop and PC too). I don't know if it could matter, but your notebook's USB was 2 or 3?
Old 04-13-2024, 12:49 PM   #7
Ancanar
Ancanar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
3.0. Also I read reports that good quality power bank can wake reader that is seemingly dead.
Ancanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 06:53 AM   #8
Anon Retired
Member Retired

Good to know, thank you!
Old 04-14-2024, 07:11 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancanar View Post
3.0. Also I read reports that good quality power bank can wake reader that is seemingly dead.
I doubt it makes any difference. There are no flavours of 5V.
Old 04-14-2024, 08:07 AM   #10
Anon Retired
Member Retired

You got a point too, but taking into account that Kindles appaprently have different tastes when it comes to cables or ports, maybe the speed of the USB matters, who knows.
Old 04-14-2024, 09:31 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebluu View Post
You got a point too, but taking into account that Kindles appaprently have different tastes when it comes to cables or ports, maybe the speed of the USB matters, who knows.
The speed of the USB isn't involved with charging. The cables and ports etc only affect connecting and seeing it as mass storage device.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:56 AM   #12
Anon Retired
Member Retired

Got it, thanks for your response.

On another note, I have left my Kindle with its battery unplugged for two days, tried again to revive it but to no avail. It's still charging for a few minutes before the amber light turns off, but it is not booting. If you have any further troubleshooting advice, I'm all ears!

Tags
battery, boot issue, kindle basic