Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-21-2024, 05:59 AM   #1
quentincompson
quentincompson began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 8
Problem after internal memory formatting on PRS-T3

Hey, guys!

I was wondering if someone could help me out with the following problem - i' ve formatted the internal memory of my Sony PRS-t3, and then connected it to my laptop in order to sideload some books, but i've run into a problem - the folders "media" and "books" have disappeared and i have to load my books into. If i just copy them on the internal storage, then obviously aren't recognized by the reader.

What should i do?

Thanks!
quentincompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 07:02 AM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by quentincompson View Post
I was wondering if someone could help me out with the following problem - i' ve formatted the internal memory of my Sony PRS-t3, and then connected it to my laptop in order to sideload some books, but i've run into a problem - the folders "media" and "books" have disappeared and i have to load my books into. If i just copy them on the internal storage, then obviously aren't recognized by the reader.

What should i do?
Well, actually you should be able to copy books to the root directory and the T3 should see them.

But you probably would rather organize them to their normal folder.

When you click on the Sony_Reader folder (assuming it's there) what do you see (if anything)? This is where your database, Digital Editions and media folders should be (database and media not capitalized). Under the media folder you should have three more folders, books, images and notepad (again, these are not capitalized).

At any rate, that's what you should see.

If, under Sony_Reader you don't see the media folder, you should be able to use your file manager to create a new media folder. And then you can click into that folder and create the folders that should be there.

One more possible issue. In Linux (at least) when I connect to my T-3, I get two partitions. One is called Reader and one is called Setup. The Setup partition has three folders, plus a Windows .exe file. This is just for installing the Sony Reader software and setting up the T3. (Probably completely useless now.) Double check to make sure you're in the Reader partition.

Sorry for rambling.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-21-2024 at 07:05 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2024, 07:21 AM   #3
quentincompson

Quote:
Hey, guys!

What should i do?

Thanks!
Apologies for the typos - what i meant to say was "the folders "media" and "books" have disappeared and i have nowhere to load my books into. If i just copy them on the internal storage, then they obviously aren't recognized by the reader."
Old 06-21-2024, 07:54 AM   #4
quentincompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Well, actually you should be able to copy books to the root directory and the T3 should see them.

But you probably would rather organize them to their normal folder.

When you click on the Sony_Reader folder (assuming it's there) what do you see (if anything)? This is where your database, Digital Editions and media folders should be (database and media not capitalized). Under the media folder you should have three more folders, books, images and notepad (again, these are not capitalized).

At any rate, that's what you should see.

If, under Sony_Reader you don't see the media folder, you should be able to use your file manager to create a new media folder. And then you can click into that folder and create the folders that should be there.

One more possible issue. In Linux (at least) when I connect to my T-3, I get two partitions. One is called Reader and one is called Setup. The Setup partition has three folders, plus a Windows .exe file. This is just for installing the Sony Reader software and setting up the T3. (Probably completely useless now.) Double check to make sure you're in the Reader partition.

Sorry for rambling.
Thank you for such a detailed response, it means a lot! I've managed to solve the problem - initially, i did as you instructed and manually created folders "media" and "books", but the reader didn't recognize them (in the hindsight, i should've probably also created notebooks and images folders as well).

After that, i created a note on the reader, hooked it up to my PC and voila - the media folder appeared, along with the notes folder; once again, i created books folder and this time around the reader displays it just fine.

Thank you!
Old 06-21-2024, 07:59 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Apologies for the typos - what i meant to say was "the folders "media" and "books" have disappeared and i have nowhere to load my books into. If i just copy them on the internal storage, then they obviously aren't recognized by the reader."
I understood what you were saying. There may be something else wrong, but with my T3, I can copy books to the main (root) directory and the T3 will see them. But that's probably not how you want to do it, even if it would work.

Under the folder "Digital_Reader" there should be a "media" folder. If it's not there, you should be able to use your file manager to create it. Then you should be able to click into the media folder and create the three folders that should be there, "books", "images", and "notepad" (without the quotes). Once created, you should be able to copy books to the "books" folder and your T3 should be able to see them.

If that's not the case, then I'm afraid there might be something else wrong, besides the lack of these folders. If so, it'll take someone with more knowledge than I have to walk you through fixing your T3.
Advert
Old 06-21-2024, 08:47 AM   #6
quentincompson

Thank you, i appreciate your detailed and thoughtful responses! I've already responded to your first message and explained that i've managed to solve the problem, but for some reason my response still hasn't gotten posted. Maybe it takes some time for the moderator to check a post... in a nutshell, i created a note on my reader, connected it to the PC, and the media folder finally appeared with the notes folder in it. After that, i manually created the books folder and this time around the sony is displaying the books. Thank you once again!

Last edited by quentincompson; 06-21-2024 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-21-2024, 11:01 AM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Thank you, i appreciate your detailed and thoughtful responses! I've already responded to your first message and explained that i've managed to solve the problem, but for some reason my response still hasn't gotten posted. Maybe it takes some time for the moderator to check a post...
I didn't think about moderation — it's something I haven't had to worry about for a long time. The exchange did seem disjointed, now I understand why. I'm happy that you got the T3 working. It looks like your troubleshooting was better than mine.
Old 06-21-2024, 11:56 AM   #8
quentincompson

Quote:
I didn't think about moderation — it's something I haven't had to worry about for a long time. The exchange did seem disjointed, now I understand why. I'm happy that you got the T3 working. It looks like your troubleshooting was better than mine.
) Thank you for the help)
Old 06-24-2024, 07:05 AM   #9
quentincompson

Quote:
Mr. Rcentros, hello again!

I was hoping you could give me a hand with one more question... apologies in advance since you’ve already helped me out a lot.

Could you please tell me what is your rule of thumb with regards to charging your sony e reader, since there is only the battery icon in the upper corner and the books don’t display the charge left in percentages?

There are four segments in the battery icon. At which time do you recharge the e reader? Once there are two segments left? Or one?

As I mentioned, i have had a T2 for many years now and got a T3 a couple of weeks ago, but the reason I’m asking this question is that my T2 has apparently been jail breaked and the reader displays the charge in percentages at the bottom of the screen, so obviously that’s what I’ve been using as an indicator.

With T3 there’s only this icon to use as a guide..

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2024, 07:52 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
There are four segments in the battery icon. At which time do you recharge the e reader? Once there are two segments left? Or one?
I usually charge when the T3 gets down to one bar, sometimes at two. I've read that, supposedly, when the first bar disappears you're down to about 50% — so one bar probably means somewhere around 10%. (This is just my guess.)

I don't mind answering any questions I can — but just be aware that I'm not an expert on Sonys (or any eReaders).

Here's a link to the PRS-T3 User Guide in Russian.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup.../44705083M.pdf

Or you can pick one of several languages here...

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/s...anuals-lang=en

Last edited by rcentros; 06-24-2024 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-24-2024, 08:15 AM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
With T3 there’s only this icon to use as a guide..
There's one thing I meant to pass on earlier. JSWolf gave me this advice. If you want darker fonts (with better contrast) on the Sonys, you do that by going to Customize View.

When reading a book... Menu Key -> Customize View -> Adjust View -> Toolbox Icon and you should see two sliders. The top one is for contrast. I set that to 60, the bottom one is for brightness, I set that to -60. For my eyes, anyhow, it makes the text stand out better. This is a per book adjustment. So each you open a new book you'll have to change it. (I like that Sonys have separate settings for each book.)

(60, -60 is what I usually use but, of course, you can adjust to taste.)

At any rate, something I use for clearer text, thanks to JSWolf.
Old 06-24-2024, 09:32 AM   #12
quentincompson

Quote:
There's one thing I meant to pass on earlier. JSWolf gave me this advice. If you want darker fonts (with better contrast) on the Sonys, you do that by going to Customize View.

When reading a book... Menu Key -> Customize View -> Adjust View -> Toolbox Icon and you should see two sliders. The top one is for contrast. I set that to 60, the bottom one is for brightness, I set that to -60. For my eyes, anyhow, it makes the text stand out better. This is a per book adjustment. So each you open a new book you'll have to change it. (I like that Sonys have separate settings for each book.)

(60, -60 is what I usually use but, of course, you can adjust to taste.)

At any rate, something I use for clearer text, thanks to JSWolf.
Thank you very much for this piece of advice and for your previous message, i'm very grateful for your kindness and for you taking the time to assist me! Much appreciated! I'll look up the guide, thanks (for some reason it's just slipped my mind)!
Old 06-24-2024, 10:11 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I usually charge when the T3 gets down to one bar, sometimes at two. I've read that, supposedly, when the first bar disappears you're down to about 50% — so one bar probably means somewhere around 10%. (This is just my guess.)

I don't mind answering any questions I can — but just be aware that I'm not an expert on Sonys (or any eReaders).

Here's a link to the PRS-T3 User Guide in Russian.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup.../44705083M.pdf

Or you can pick one of several languages here...

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/s...anuals-lang=en
Given there are 4 segments to the battery meter, that would make each segment 25%.

I would charge when you see battery meter down to 1 segment and you are done reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 02:28 PM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given there are 4 segments to the battery meter, that would make each segment 25%.
That would make sense, but it isn't necessarily true. It seems batteries often accelerate their discharge rate as it the gauge gets lower. (This may not be the case, I just read this somewhere when looking up the PRS-T3 battery gauge information.)
Old 06-24-2024, 03:02 PM   #15
quentincompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

I would charge when you see battery meter down to 1 segment and you are done reading.
Much obliged!