Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-22-2023, 09:54 AM   #1
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Send-to-kindle delivering KFX format to more devices

Amazon's send to Kindle accepts user-supplied books via email, web, or app and converts them to Kindle formats for delivery to various Kindle reading apps and devices. Until recently only Scribe devices received personal documents in KFX format. All other Kindles received either KF8 (azw3) or MOBI format.

This appears to have changed in the last few days so that now most apps and devices that support KFX will receive personal documents in that format. The main exception appears to be the Kindle for PC app which still does not get KFX.

It is not yet clear why Amazon is doing this. One possibility is that they are preparing to allow hand drawn annotations to be viewed or created on non-Scribe devices and doing that requires KFX format. Another possible reason is that this is being done as part of a general shift away from the older Kindle formats.

I do not know if this change applies to everyone in every region. I see it for my own newly sent personal documents and saw a report on Reddit of someone else experiencing the same thing. I am curious to hear if this change is universal or limited.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 12:06 PM   #2
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
Doesn't seem to be global. I've done a quick test with 2 different epub files. One was send using email and the other using amazon.com/sendtokindle web app. Amazon.com account with country for digital content set to Serbia.

Books were delivered to Kindle for Android v8.85.0.100(1.3.296551.0) on mobile phone with Android 10 & also to Kindle PW5 with firmware v5.14.1.1. azw3 format was downloaded in both cases.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2023, 12:14 PM   #3
jonathan2022
Connoisseur
jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android
I'm from zimbabwe. I agree not global yet. I think they night usually Start with usa and Canada first then the world.
jonathan2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 12:19 PM   #4
jonathan2022
Connoisseur
jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just tried sending a doc today. Seems to be still in azw3 format on Android 12. Using latest kindle for android.
Old 09-22-2023, 12:26 PM   #5
jonathan2022
Connoisseur

Out of curiosity jhowell which method did you use to send. Kindle on the web or send to on Android/other device
Advert
Old 09-22-2023, 12:53 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The method should not matter, everything feeds into the same web service.

It's enabled for every Kindle devices/apps that I've checked so far: Fire HD 10, Paperwhite 11 gen, iPhone, iPads (including one that was not on latest version of Kindle app) etc.

The only exception is my Fire HD 6. And Galaxy Tab Kindle app lacks Alignment option, but scrolling and page flip work (updated the app and re-downloaded, still no Alignment option).

Note that anything previously sent as ePub will now download as KFX for users that the feature is turned on for.

Personally, I've been waiting/hoping for this change since I got a Scribe in February. So this makes me very happy.

The other shoe to drop will be when other devices and apps start getting Print Replica instead of low function PDF.

The third shoe will be when Scribe gets access to most or all Kindle Store Print Replica content. I presume Share will be restricted to Notes and Highlights and not the entire document as with personal documents in this format.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-22-2023 at 01:44 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 03:03 PM   #7
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
As far as I can tell, I'm not getting KFX on iPhone or iPad. Is there an easy way to identify what I'm getting?

For both Kindle for Mac 1.40.1 and the new Mac beta, I'm getting old mobi (not azw3).
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 03:56 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
As far as I can tell, I'm not getting KFX on iPhone or iPad. Is there an easy way to identify what I'm getting?

For both Kindle for Mac 1.40.1 and the new Mac beta, I'm getting old mobi (not azw3).
Getting KFX with the beta, just needed to re-download.

If it's not working for you, you are not one of the Chosen. (what region are you in?).

Kindle Classic is EOL and I doubt they'll flip the switch for it, even if they could.
Old 09-22-2023, 06:38 PM   #9
axu2
Connoisseur
axu2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe
I can confirm I got KFX on Android 11
axu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 06:48 PM   #10
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan2022 View Post
Out of curiosity jhowell which method did you use to send. Kindle on the web or send to on Android/other device
I used the web version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Tap the middle of the screen while in a book. If the lower left corner of the screen that comes up has a 3x3 grid of dots then it is KFX format.
Old 09-22-2023, 07:10 PM   #11
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
... Tap the middle of the screen while in a book. If the lower left corner of the screen that comes up has a 3x3 grid of dots then it is KFX format.
Excellent! Thanks! I didn't realize that feature occurred with all KFX books. For some reason I thought it depended on formatting within KFX. I can now confirm that Send-to-Kindle is not (yet?) resulting in KFX for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
... If it's not working for you, you are not one of the Chosen. (what region are you in?).
I am one of the unChosen in USA

ETA: I am now one of the Chosen! 26 Sep

Last edited by odamizu; 09-26-2023 at 02:56 AM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 07:19 PM   #12
dedeca
Enthusiast
dedeca is on a distinguished road

Device: PW3 and PW5
That's great news!
I suppose there's no need to update the Kindle to the latest firmware 5.16.3, right? I don't want to update and lose the jailbreak.
dedeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 07:56 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedeca View Post
That's great news!
I suppose there's no need to update the Kindle to the latest firmware 5.16.3, right? I don't want to update and lose the jailbreak.
I think that remains to be learned.
Old 09-22-2023, 08:15 PM   #14
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedeca View Post
That's great news!
My Oasis 2 running 5.16.2.1.1 firmware is receiving personal documents in KFX. I also have a Paperwhite 3 running 5.15.1 firmware and that is not receiving personal documents in KFX even though it receives purchased books in KFX. So there is a software version cutoff involved.
Old 09-22-2023, 11:22 PM   #15
dedeca
Enthusiast
dedeca is on a distinguished road

Device: PW3 and PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
My Oasis 2 running 5.16.2.1.1 firmware is receiving personal documents in KFX. I also have a Paperwhite 3 running 5.15.1 firmware and that is not receiving personal documents in KFX even though it receives purchased books in KFX. So there is a software version cutoff involved.
Well, it's good to know that I won't need to update my pw5 (it's on firmware 5.16.2.1.1).
dedeca is offline   Reply With Quote