Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-15-2023, 02:54 PM   #1
Duke5127
Duke5127 has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Duke5127 has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Duke5127 has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Duke5127 has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Duke5127 has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Duke5127 has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Duke5127 has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Duke5127 has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Duke5127 has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Duke5127 has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Duke5127 has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Does anyone have Literata 3 with Fixed Line Spacing?

I don't expect anyone to have Literata 3 with fixed line spacing for pleasant reading on Kobo devices, but figured I should ask.

Alternatively, does anyone know how to fix the line spacing and change the font name so I can do it by myself and then upload the font in the modified fonts thread?
Duke5127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 02:57 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke5127 View Post
I don't expect anyone to have Literata 3 with fixed line spacing for pleasant reading on Kobo devices, but figured I should ask.

Alternatively, does anyone know how to fix the line spacing and change the font name so I can do it by myself and then upload the font in the modified fonts thread?
You don't need fixed line spacing as long as the default line spacing in the font is not too large. You can use the lien-height slider on your Kobo to set the line-height.

The problem comes if the eBook has DRM and sets a line-height when then can through off what you like to read with. If there is no DRM, you can edit the eBook and remove all line-height lines from the CSS and set what you like with the slider.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2023, 03:06 PM   #3
Duke5127
Duke5127 has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Duke5127 has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Duke5127 has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Duke5127 has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Duke5127 has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Duke5127 has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Duke5127 has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Duke5127 has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Duke5127 has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Duke5127 has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Duke5127 has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You don't need fixed line spacing as long as the default line spacing in the font is not too large.
That's the problem: the default line spacing in the font is too large. When I use the line-height slider to adjust the line spacing to 0, the height is still too large.

I would like to modify the font to make the default line spacing in the font identical to Bookerly, but I'm not sure how.
Old 07-15-2023, 03:23 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's the problem: the default line spacing in the font is too large. When I use the line-height slider to adjust the line spacing to 0, the height is still too large.

I would like to modify the font to make the default line spacing in the font identical to Bookerly, but I'm not sure how.
You will need a font editor. You will need to edit the metadata for the the font.

I don't recall what need to be edited. I'll have a look at ChareInk6 and see what was done to fix the line spacing.
Old 07-15-2023, 03:30 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Have you tried Literata Book? It is basically Literata with tighter line spacing. I don't know which version of Literata it is from. I never paid attention.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2023, 03:51 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Have you tried Literata Book? It is basically Literata with tighter line spacing. I don't know which version of Literata it is from. I never paid attention.
I just had a look at the Regular version of Literata Book and the default line spacing is good. Give it a go and if you still need help, let me know and I'll help.
Old 07-15-2023, 03:58 PM   #7
Duke5127

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yeah, I'm currently copying the line metrics from Literata Book to Literata 3. Does anyone know if the copyright statement needs to be changed if I want to share the modified font here? I'm renaming the font to Scriptoria.
Old 07-15-2023, 04:00 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

You do need to change the name both internal and external.
Old 07-15-2023, 04:40 PM   #9
Duke5127

Here's Scriptoria, Literata 3 with Literata Book metrics.
Attached Files
File Type: zip scriptoria.zip (574.2 KB, 140 views)
Old 07-15-2023, 04:43 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes, it is a fixed line-height.
Old 07-15-2023, 05:23 PM   #11
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
@JSWolf do you have a recommended font editor?
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 05:27 PM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Maybe patching would help? I think you can tighter line spacing with patching.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 06:04 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Why, yes, yes, I do, it's actually my daily driver.

Do note that I do some other nastiness to it (mainly affecting the weight a tiny bit, IIRC), as detailed in the link in the comment. (Ignore the unrelated deprecated fluff at the beginning).

Keep in mind I target decent OTF renderers, I don't actually recall how well either RMSDK or ACCESS deal with it (because I don't care ;o)), though I suspect RMSDK should be fine with it, at least.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-15-2023 at 06:07 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 10:29 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Hey, thanks man! What's the difference between Literata Book and Scriptoria? Are there new glyphs or anything?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 11:55 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
What he just described, I assume . The font's license means we can't redistribute a modified version without changing its name . (Hence my own sneaky Lit3rata, which *may* actually be playing it a bit too fast and loose, but IANAL; and it's hardly seeing wide release anyway).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-15-2023 at 11:57 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote