Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #1
jecilop
Addict
jecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Android
Is it possible to edit mult. books at once -NOT metadata edits?

I want to be able to edit (such as a search/replace) multiple books at once.
I haven't been able to find any method for this.
Quality check plug-in is powerful and can generate a text list only of books meeting certain search criteria, but I still have to go to each book individually to edit the content.

For example, say 10 books have a repetitive phrase or link from old conversion software or methods. Rather than open each to do a search/replace, I'm hoping there is something that can do this powerful (and yes, dangerous if you don't know what you're doing) job.

Modify epub doesn't appear to handle this either.
Edit Metadata only works on metadata as named (though I did check the search replace tab in it).

Am I overlooking something out there? I haven't found any plug-ins that can do this. Edit Book only works on one at a time.

I should not that I'm talking about more than just a single word search/replace as can be done during a conversion. This type of edit would include a long string of html code. As best I can tell that is more in depth than search/replace using the conversion function can do.

I appreciate any input.

Last edited by jecilop; 10-14-2014 at 09:14 AM. Reason: clarification
jecilop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The search and replace in conversion works with arbitrarily powerful regexps on the HTML of the book.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #3
jecilop
Addict
jecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Hmmm..well, that also begs another question...

I've noticed Quality check only returns a list that you can copy/paste to a text file for reference.
Advanced Search in Calibre only searches metadata and thus returns entries for that search.

I can't find a search that will search what Quality check does (search epub) but also returns the "list" as entries from the database just like searching metadata.

I end up having to go find each book to make my changes.

Is there something that can give the results of searches inside the file the same way a metadata search can do? I can find ways to work with those returned entries easily, but right now it's more than tedious to attempt changes.
Ex: Search 12,000 entries for files that I want to edit. If 150 return, i have to go to each book rather than being able to select them all at once or even in groups.

Please tell me I've overlooking something easy.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #4
jecilop
Addict

Wow..I apparently wasn't using the Search/Replace as well as I could, @kovidgoyal.
I just tested a number of files with various repeating issues I have been editing individually to remove, and it worked flawlessly! Thank You.

Still, I would like to know about having a list of books that result from an epub search via Quality Check to show as a list of entries just like a metadata check and not just as a text list to make it easy to work with the returned information in groups rather than seeking each file...
Old 10-14-2014, 11:04 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jecilop View Post
Wow..I apparently wasn't using the Search/Replace as well as I could, @kovidgoyal.
I just tested a number of files with various repeating issues I have been editing individually to remove, and it worked flawlessly! Thank You.

Still, I would like to know about having a list of books that result from an epub search via Quality Check to show as a list of entries just like a metadata check and not just as a text list to make it easy to work with the returned information in groups rather than seeking each file...
Set a tag based upon the QC return

eg
Run QC (check for embedded fonts)
<results show> Select all: Bulk Metadata edit (E): Add tag: 'has fonts': OK
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
jecilop
Addict

UPDATE: answered

@theducks,
So I'm running a test to get pics to show you that ALL I WAS GETTING WAS THE LOG file returned when I suddenly realized the books are listing in the returns also.
I don't know how I never realized it was doing this correctly before.
This makes complete sense, but somehow I always thought I was getting something else. Maybe I was clicking t0o fast on prior attempts and cause other search results to show....

If only I could permanently erase the record of asking this question. I feel like an idiot. : smack:: smack:
Old 10-14-2014, 12:47 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jecilop View Post
@theducks,

I don't know how I never realized it was doing this correctly before. :
Trees
Forest
Got the splinters to prove it
Not to worry, there usually is a way.
Kovid thought of most everything.

We (the PI developers and users) help, when he missed one
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote