Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
ldrover
Connoisseur
ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.ldrover is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad Mini
Connect Calibre to iPad

I am trying to connect Calibre to my iPad. I have been using these instructions to configure Calibre...

Launch calibre, set Preferences:
Preferences|Behavior|Preferred output format to EPUB
Preferences|Conversion|common options|page setup|Output profile to iPad
With the Apple iTunes interface selected, click Customize plugin. Set 'Copy files to iTunes Media folder…' is enabled in iTunes Advanced|Preferences to match the setting of the similar option in the iTunes Preferences|Advanced dialog step above. If the option is checked in both dialogs, iTunes will make copies of transferred books in your iTunes Media folder. If the option is unchecked in both dialogs, copies will be made in your calibre configuration directory. Regardless of your choice, both options should be set the same.

Enable the formats you want to transfer to iTunes. iBooks supports both epub and pdf formats.
Restart calibre.

Select Connect/Share↓Connect to iTunes to connect iTunes as a Reader device.

To send epubs or PDFs from calibre to iTunes:
Select the book(s) to send from your calibre Library window, then click Send to device. Your books are added to the 'Books' playlist in your iTunes library.

Things went OK until I get to Select Connect/Share↓Connect to iTunes to connect iTunes as a Reader device.

Can't for the life of me figure how to Select Connect/Share
ldrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I have zero experience with Apple devices, but the instructions in the following sticky post may help. Calibre + Apple iDevices: Start here

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-25-2013 at 11:30 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrover View Post
I am trying to connect Calibre to my iPad. I have been using these instructions to configure Calibre...

Spoiler:
Launch calibre, set Preferences:
Preferences|Behavior|Preferred output format to EPUB
Preferences|Conversion|common options|page setup|Output profile to iPad
With the Apple iTunes interface selected, click Customize plugin. Set 'Copy files to iTunes Media folder…' is enabled in iTunes Advanced|Preferences to match the setting of the similar option in the iTunes Preferences|Advanced dialog step above. If the option is checked in both dialogs, iTunes will make copies of transferred books in your iTunes Media folder. If the option is unchecked in both dialogs, copies will be made in your calibre configuration directory. Regardless of your choice, both options should be set the same.

Enable the formats you want to transfer to iTunes. iBooks supports both epub and pdf formats.
Restart calibre.

Select Connect/Share↓Connect to iTunes to connect iTunes as a Reader device.

To send epubs or PDFs from calibre to iTunes:
Select the book(s) to send from your calibre Library window, then click Send to device. Your books are added to the 'Books' playlist in your iTunes library.

Things went OK until I get to Select Connect/Share↓Connect to iTunes to connect iTunes as a Reader device.

Can't for the life of me figure how to Select Connect/Share
In calibre's main toolbar, there is an icon labelled 'Connect/Share'. If you click on that, you will see a drop down menu with the 'Connect to iTunes' option.

This will be true if you are running Windows or a version of OS X earlier than 10.9 (Mavericks).

If you are running Linux or OS X 10.9, 'Connect to iTunes' will not be visible. For more information about why it's disabled under OS X 10.9, see this thread.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 10-26-2013 at 08:37 AM.
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote