Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-31-2024, 02:46 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Kobo Mini (& Touch?) batteries on Amazon

For those who live in the U.S. and may need a battery for their Kobo Mini, Amazon is now carrying the one I bought on eBay a couple years ago. (I think it's the same seller.) The advantage is that (with Prime) you can get a quick shipment (in my case one day).

EDIT: The battery in the link (below) is too long. It's supposed to be 59mm long, but it's 63mm instead. That won't fit in the battery cut out for the Kobo Mini. which has a maximum length of 59mm. I've left the battery link in case someone is looking for a battery in a different Kobo that can use a 63mm long battery.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

REPEAT: The battery linked above will NOT fit in the Kobo Mini. It should, but it's mislabeled. The Kobo Mini needs 59mm or below length, this one is 63mm.

I bought this for battery because I think it will work as a Kobo Touch battery as well. At least on the N905C and probably on a N905B (though I might have to remove part of the battery "frame" on one side for the B version. The N905 uses a three wire battery connection, so I'm guessing it won't work, unless the white wire can be ignored. (It's a shame because the N905 is the one that has a bulging battery that won't hold a charge.)

I figured out something about how these batteries are numbered — probably well known by everyone but me. The six digit number of this battery is 383759. What it means is the 3.8 mm thick, 37 mm wide and 59 mm long. The open space on the N905C is 60 mm long (which means this battery would fit in the 905C) — snug, but would fit. The N905B has the plastic "ridge", which makes it slightly too short for this battery (maybe). But I could probably carefully cut out one side of the "bracket" and make it work. The N905 has the same "bracket" but it also has a three wire connection — so, unfortunately, probably won't work.

The original Kobo Touch battery is 3.8mm thick, 43mm wide and 55mm long.

I guess I'm going to have try to find a three wire battery for the N905 Touch. I'm surprised at the differences in these three models. No SD Card in the original.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	N605.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	208617   Click image for larger version

Name:	N605B.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	208618   Click image for larger version

Name:	N605C.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	208619  

Last edited by rcentros; 06-17-2024 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Wrong Model Number for Kobo Touches. Clarification.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 02:48 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Would it be possible to find a compatible battery with more power?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2024, 02:50 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Would it be possible to find a compatible battery with more power?
I don't know. I guess I could do a search. If I find anything I'll let you know.

EDIT: This one might work for the N905. It's about .7mm too thick and about 1mm too long, but it would probably work. I'll see if one is available in the U.S.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17601102571...torefresh=true

Last edited by rcentros; 06-02-2024 at 04:00 AM.
Old 06-01-2024, 08:41 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't know. I guess I could do a search. If I find anything I'll let you know.

EDIT: This one might work for the N605. It's about .7mm too thick and about 1mm too long, but it would probably work. I'll see if one is available in the U.S.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17601102571...torefresh=true
If it would fit, that would be a good boost.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 06:31 PM   #5
Alastair_S
Zealot
Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Isn't the N605 the Elipsa 2E? The Touch is N905.
Alastair_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2024, 04:01 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair_S View Post
Isn't the N605 the Elipsa 2E? The Touch is N905.
You're right, I've corrected (or at least tried to correct) all my wrong model numbers. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 06-02-2024, 04:13 AM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

I got the battery in yesterday. Getting the old battery off the "plate" of the older Kobo Mini was not fun. It took very careful prying and some dental floss. Unfortunately I wasn't careful enough with the old battery connector, and it literally crumbled on me. So, for now, I don't have a second usable Kobo Mini. (I'll probably try to use the battery in the N905C Touch, when its battery wears out (still in pretty good shape, as is the N905B battery.)

I broke down and ordered a Kobo Mini battery and a 3 wire Kobo Touch battery at AlliExpress. Both have an expected delivery date of about two months — so summer will be in full swing by the time I get back to them.

If anyone is interested in the batteries I bought at AlliExpress...

Kobo Mini...
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...2usa4itemAdapt

Kobo Touch N905 (3 wire)...
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...2usa4itemAdapt
Old 06-04-2024, 07:50 PM   #8
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
I just ordered one of those batteries off of Amazon, so I’m looking forward to its arrival. Thanks for the heads up on how difficult the glue is to separate. My mini (which I got from you) doesn’t last very long, especially compared to all the other devices. A new battery will be a fantastic upgrade. Now all I need is a slim, light neoprene case for it so I can slip it into my go bag when I head off longboarding or hiking.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 08:02 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I just ordered one of those batteries off of Amazon, so I’m looking forward to its arrival. Thanks for the heads up on how difficult the glue is to separate. My mini (which I got from you) doesn’t last very long, especially compared to all the other devices. A new battery will be a fantastic upgrade. Now all I need is a slim, light neoprene case for it so I can slip it into my go bag when I head off longboarding or hiking.
Sorry about the battery life. I thought it was doing pretty well went I sent it out, but I didn't use it much.

Be really gentle with the old battery connector, you'll need it for the new battery. I'm not sure how I managed to break my connector, but now I'm waiting (until August) for a battery from China specifically because it has that connector. (If I knew what it was called I could probably find it in the U.S. and use the battery I already have.)

I think the battery you're getting is the same one I got for my other Mini. It holds a good charge (it's now about two and half years old). I think I did follow the instructions and ran it completely down two or three times supposedly to get it to fully charge.
Old 06-06-2024, 07:09 PM   #10
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I’m not complaining. You gave me a great deal. No need to apologize.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll let you know how the install goes when the battery arrives next week.
Old 06-13-2024, 02:40 AM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I’m not complaining. You gave me a great deal. No need to apologize.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll let you know how the install goes when the battery arrives next week.
One of my batteries from China is supposed to be delivered tomorrow (actually today now) and the other one was in Stockton, CA the day before yesterday. So much quicker shipping than I expected (I was told over 60 days for both). I think the one I'm getting tomorrow is for the original Touch N905. Hopefully the Mini battery (with, supposedly, the right connector) will make it by Friday or Saturday. So two of my ailing Kobos might be back up and running this weekend.

EDIT: The N905 (3 wire) battery arrived today and it's installed. It had the right connector and was pretty much an exact fit. (Had to squeeze the wire side in a little to fit the frame.) I'm charging the battery now, but it looks like it already had a nearly full charge. Now I'll have to test the Touch and see how well the battery holds a charge (and to discharge it completely and recharge it completely, per instructions).

Received the battery in 11 days, which is faster than delivery I sometimes get in the U.S.

Two pictures below. New battery installed and a comparison between it and the old battery.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	208851   Click image for larger version

Name:	comparison.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1,023.0 KB
ID:	208852  

Last edited by rcentros; 06-13-2024 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 06-15-2024, 06:19 AM   #12
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Kobo Mini (& Touch?) batteries on Amazon

The battery arrived from Amazon, but it’s not the one depicted. 😕 It’s too thick, too long, too narrow, and the connector is wrong as well. Even the wires off the battery are too large. I’m returning it.

I guess I’ll get it from Aliexpress. That one has both 1000mAh and 1300mAh capacity. Maybe they couldn’t make up their minds. At least judging by the photo, it looks like it’ll fit, the wires seem the proper gauge, but I’m not sure about the connector. The photo doesn’t show any details.

Last edited by Cootey; 06-15-2024 at 06:24 AM.
Old 06-15-2024, 07:50 AM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
The battery arrived from Amazon, but it’s not the one depicted. �� It’s too thick, too long, too narrow, and the connector is wrong as well. Even the wires off the battery are too large. I’m returning it.

I guess I’ll get it from Aliexpress. That one has both 1000mAh and 1300mAh capacity. Maybe they couldn’t make up their minds. At least judging by the photo, it looks like it’ll fit, the wires seem the proper gauge, but I’m not sure about the connector. The photo doesn’t show any details.
If this is the same battery I bought, it should be slightly thicker (3.8mm instead of 3.4mm) slightly longer (59mm instead of 58mm) and quite a bit narrower (37mm instead of 46mm). And it did come with thicker wires. Still it fit fine in my Kobo and it is working well. The original battery was 344658 (which breaks down to 3.4mm thick, 46mm wide and 58mm long).

If they sent you the wrong battery, do you know what number was on it? If this is not a good link I need to delete it.

The battery pictured at Amazon, that I bought, is the one I bought earlier from eBay and, had I not broken the connector, would be the one I would have used in my second Kobo Mini. The extra .4mm thickness did not seem to affect anything.

The one on Aliexpress does look like it's shaped more like the original Mini battery, however. That battery, the one I ordered, is in Boise now. If they deliver it tomorrow (today), I'll pass on its dimensions. The China Post tracking is delayed so I don't know if the Boise post office has sent it my town yet or not. Normally it's a next day delivery from Boise — but a week, or so, ago it took two days (which would mean Monday). EDIT: China Post tracking now shows that it did leave Boise, so it will probably be here today. I'll post a picture.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-15-2024 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Time correction, added information.
Old 06-15-2024, 08:01 AM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Here's pictures comparing the original Kobo battery with the 384759 one I bought on eBay (and Amazon). They do have different dimensions (as mentioned earlier).

And also a picture of what it looked like installed in my Kobo Mini. Most noticeable is the difference in width.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	battery3.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	612.6 KB
ID:	208873   Click image for larger version

Name:	internal3.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	380.2 KB
ID:	208874  
Old 06-15-2024, 10:19 AM   #15
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Here's pictures comparing the original Kobo battery with the 384759 one I bought on eBay (and Amazon). They do have different dimensions (as mentioned earlier).

And also a picture of what it looked like installed in my Kobo Mini. Most noticeable is the difference in width.

If the specs were the same, I could have worked with that, but the connector you’re showing is not the one I have on the battery here. It’s the wrong connector as far as I can see. I didn’t take it out of its package so that I could return it.

If you ordered it from Amazon and got the right connector then I was just shipped the wrong battery, so your link is probably fine. i’ve been having problems with Amazon shipping the wrong products lately. So I’ll just pick it up from Aliexpress.