Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-07-2008, 05:53 PM   #1
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Are you an unintentional/intentional Reader salesperson?

I've had my Reader 505 since May now, and I've joked to the people at Borders saying they should pay me commission on these things. So far, I know for a fact that I've induced four people into buying one (a result of them seeing me reading it and then asking me all sorts of questions), then another I just bought my mom for Christmas.

Every time I bring it out in public, I get questions. But I love to answer them! It's nice to talk to people and help them decide whether one is worth it for them or not.

For my part, you'd have to kill me to get me to give it up. I'm sure you all feel the same. Just wondering if any of you are prone to gushing about your Reader to random people...
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
For my part, you'd have to kill me to get me to give it up. I'm sure you all feel the same.
Depends on what you mean by "give up".

If you mean... give them the one I have now... I would easily part with my reader for $500 or more.

If you mean, give up for a time... sure.... pay me well. But, I would rather live without a reader than die. If someone said, give me your reader or I will shoot you dead like a dog... um... here ya go! Enjoy.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I've talked two people into buying a reader so far - and one is planning to buy one for her daughter for Christmas this year.

Two have bought eBookwise, and one later upgraded to the Sony 500 (when it was available for $50 with the Sony credit card from Chase). I've been showing her the 505 and trying to convince her to upgrade, but she's not sure about that $300 price!

The one probably buying for her daughter isn't sure which yet. She's thinking maybe the Sony, though!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:19 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Depends on what you mean by "give up".

If you mean... give them the one I have now... I would easily part with my reader for $500 or more.

If you mean, give up for a time... sure.... pay me well. But, I would rather live without a reader than die. If someone said, give me your reader or I will shoot you dead like a dog... um... here ya go! Enjoy.

BOb
Well, okay, maybe I was exaggerating. A little. You get the picture, though. Right? I swear, I do value my life...

FizzyWater- I only recommended the Kindle to one person, and he travels all week long and prefers WSJ and magazines to books. Looking at it in person though, made me glad I got my Reader.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I've been a very enthusiastic proponent of eBooks and eBook Readers, First with my PRS 500 and later my Cybook.

I've been pretty happy showing them off to interested people and giving demo's. And after that sending them to Mobileread to find out more (Might have corrupted a few Waterstone's Employee's by pointing them to possible sources of cheaper eBooks)

In fact I got so tired of forgetting useful links when I was writing them for for people that I Created a Business card template to print out which I could just hand out to people. You can Find those templates in this thread and feel free to use them.

The only drawback I really run into is having to explain DRM and limitations on those books.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2008, 10:23 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Well, okay, maybe I was exaggerating.
I know. My reply was very tongue-in-cheek.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:27 PM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Just one (other person bought one)based on my salesmanship but I have been told that I ought to work on a comission for the various readers.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:46 PM   #8
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
To my knowledge, 2 people have definitely bought 505's after seeing mine & hearing the "sales pitch" from me. A few others have at least *said* they planned to buy one.

I really love what a conversation piece it is. People ask me about it all the time, in restaurants, on planes, wherever I haul it out. A commission would be nice!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:57 PM   #9
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I know of three Kindles bought as a direct result of seeing mine -- two of them in our family (sister and niece) and the other is a person I work with from time to time. I, too, find myself extolling the virtues of an electronic book reader. I travel with both a Kindle and a Sony PRS-505. Whenever I'm asked about the reader I'm using at the time, I also bring out the other so that folks will be able to compare them. I do have to admit that there are features I like about each and wish I could find a single device with all the best features.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:05 AM   #10
xanlexian
Connoisseur
xanlexian began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 / Nook GL / Kindle 3
When I was in my local public library, I was asking the librarian there about their (paltry) e-book selection. Her and I were talking for a bit and I was telling her that one of my main decisions to go with an e-book reader was this, "you're sitting there. Reading along. You get involved with the characters. You start feeling emotions towards the characters, the situations, the plot. The story progresses, you get more involved. You may giggle, you may shed a tear, then all of a sudden -- EWWW!!! OH MY GOD!! A BOOGER!!! Not to mention, you KNOW where most people do a lot of their reading... I don't want to be holding somebody else's 'book 'o' farts".

The librarian laughed and told me, "Honey, I've been a librarian for over 35 years. I've known this to be fact since the beginning of my career. I've been waiting for e-books for a LONG time, I was an early adapter to the technology. We're getting more e-books in all of the time."

After that -- FIVE other people that overheard our conversation started asking both of us about e-books and readers (the librarian has a PRS-500, 505, 700, and a couple of Kindles -- according to her).

So, it was kind of a team effort -- but yeah. I'm SURE I've sold a few of 'em!

Then there is the story of my wife... When I purchased mine, she was telling me "oh geez... another one of your gadgets."

She uses it more than I do. I told her to go buy her own! hehe! (and she did)
xanlexian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:03 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Just last Thursday.
The second victim of my Sony Reader advert program has ordered PRS-505

(Although, I explained the DRM issue, buying lit books and making them DRM free, which is a hassle if you don't care about DRM, while at the same time she can buy CyBook Gen3 and buy mobipocket books....in addition to a few firmware bugs and not always working dictionaries....)
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:00 AM   #12
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
I am constantly recommending it to people. It doesn't hurt Sony that we now have purchased three 505s for people in our house alone. There should be a frequent buyer plan. LOL
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:06 AM   #13
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
I've helped the industry sell 4 or 5 505's and 1 Kindle. Too bad Sony doesn't have BeBook's deal, I'd be halfway there!

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:11 PM   #14
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I've talked a half dozen people into buying a Sony 505 or 700. And I just sent an email to Number 7 telling her the 505 is for sale on the BestBuy Web site for $200.

Sony owes me a drink!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #15
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I do the whole dog-and-pony show for anyone who asks, seeing me use mine. That's once or twice a week. No idea how many I've sold but it has to be a number greater than one!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote