Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old Today, 12:10 AM   #1
readerindigest
readerindigest began at the beginning.

Device: none
HELP: Are Widows and Orphans fixed in recent firmwares?

A few years ago I had to revert back to my old 1st gen Paperwhite due to a major change in 5.12.2 and later updates. The text renderer was adjusted to alter how widows and orphans are displayed, resulting in annoying extra spaces at the bottom of pages that are never consistent. 😥

This was a baffling choice that hindered reading experience as you would never know whether a chapter is coming to its end or not.

Can my fellow Kindle friends verify for me whether that is still the case in recent firmwares? I'd really appreciate it as it's Prime Day! 🙏😊

[I'd asked the same qns on Kindle subreddit and will post helpful updates here]
readerindigest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:03 AM   #2
Ebookus
Digital Grenadier
Ebookus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ebookus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ebookus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ebookus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ebookus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ebookus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ebookus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ebookus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ebookus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ebookus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ebookus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Mmm, widows and orphans are set by the publisher. Kindle reads that information and acts accordingly. Do the answer, depends on the publisher
Ebookus is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 05:07 AM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebookus View Post
Mmm, widows and orphans are set by the publisher. Kindle reads that information and acts accordingly. Do the answer, depends on the publisher
One can always edit the css in a book and change the widows/orphans to 1, which basically disables them.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote