Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 06-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Amazon Kindle DX vs. jetBook Color

Interesting information about search time and opening time for PDF files on Ectaco blog:
http://ectaco-global.blogspot.com/

I don't have Kindle DX to compare it but I can confirm that new jetBook Color firmware works much faster and i hope it will be even more faster with new update.

Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
GA Russell
Ford to the rescue?
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Kris, what about the prices of the two?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2012, 01:26 AM   #3
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
JBC $500 vs Kindle $379.
Although some second hand kindle DX'es go from 192 all the way up to $465 (almost same price as JBC)!
Can you believe that on amazon there are sales people selling a more expensive second hand than new??

The extra options are well worth the price, Kindle's missing SD cardreader slot is a big turnoff for me!
I dislike companies that try to work with a closed system.

I also dislike the DX keyboard and it's low battery life for e-ink.
Although, the battery life of the kindle is about the same as for the JBC. It's 1 week with wifi on. The JBC is 21 days wifi off,which is about the same as the kindle dx.

Really the only 2 things the DX has better is a whiter background, and the somewhat cheaper price. Ow, and the WORKING wifi on the kindle (JBC's wifi is still quite useless)!

Last edited by ProDigit; 06-08-2012 at 01:34 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:59 AM   #4
read365
Enthusiast
read365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to beholdread365 is a marvel to behold

Device: pocketbook pro 902, Jetbook Color 1
JBC is nice
but kindle dx is pear screen.
so little whiter than JBC

anyway i like JBC than kindle...
read365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
X read X
Banned
X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook, iPhone 4, Jetbook Color.
This is interesting i was waiting for something like this 2 bad i don't have a kindle dx or i would try it myself.

What annoys me is people saying 'ipad is faster'. iPad is a completely different device!!! Its really comparing apples to oranges. Literally!

"My Ferrari is faster" well i'm a golfer dammit and i need a place to put my clubs! Haha.
X read X is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I have both devices. I think they complement each other.

The Kinde DX is fine for rotating A4 e-books in landscape mode. That is not possible with the JetBook Color (but it has a nice reflow feature which works passable well).

There are no more firmware updates for the Kindle DX which means some pdfs with new features will not work.

Btw. the battery life for the Jetbook Color is overstated ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree with you.
On a good month I get 21 days of battery life, but that's without much reading.
Most of the time I get about 14 days of battery with regular reading of between 2 and 4 hours per day.

Concerning PDF's, there's not much more that can change. PDF's are basically established, and they won't see much changes, unless you're talking about integrating video in a file, which will be impossible, and silly on an e-ink device (as well as on printed paper).

The Kindle DX is at it's end of it's life cycle (about to be phased out, and no more support for upgrades), the JBC is at it's beginning. They're expected to still create firmware that will fully make use of the wireless features, as well as menu structure improvements, and file format compatibility and bug fixes.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I dislike is the deceptive advertising Etaco does. They show a color image and tell us the device is 1200x1600 resolution when in color it's only 800x600. That's very deceptive advertising. But then, Ectaco has a history of making comparison charts that lie. They did so when comparing the Jetbook to the 505 and K2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I dislike is the deceptive advertising Etaco does. They show a color image and tell us the device is 1200x1600 resolution when in color it's only 800x600. That's very deceptive advertising. But then, Ectaco has a history of making comparison charts that lie. They did so when comparing the Jetbook to the 505 and K2.
Relax yourself JS. We've heard you talking bad about Ectaco for years and yet you still have not been able to purchase one...not even ONE yet.

When you do, let us know how the 'advertising' works or doesn't.

And FYI, the colors aren't bad at all. I'm glad to have a large device that i load my own files to.

There would be no other company with Color E Ink if it wasn't for Ectaco so savveeeeee itttttt.
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post
Relax yourself JS. We've heard you talking bad about Ectaco for years and yet you still have not been able to purchase one...not even ONE yet.

When you do, let us know how the 'advertising' works or doesn't.

And FYI, the colors aren't bad at all. I'm glad to have a large device that i load my own files to.

There would be no other company with Color E Ink if it wasn't for Ectaco so savveeeeee itttttt.
I'm not buying Ectaco's products until maybe they can bring one out that has truth in advertising. I wasn't commenting on the colors just that the image they show is 800x600 and yet they claim 1200x1600. That's not truth in advertising. That makes people think it's a 1200x1600 color display when the color is only 800x600.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #11
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm not buying Ectaco's products until maybe they can bring one out that has truth in advertising. I wasn't commenting on the colors just that the image they show is 800x600 and yet they claim 1200x1600. That's not truth in advertising. That makes people think it's a 1200x1600 color display when the color is only 800x600.
The color is primarily for pictures and other illustrations. I don't think it's fair to calculate in 800x600 (which would be 600x800 if you want to be right).

Btw. the Kindle DX advertisment is not completely right as well. No way to have 3 weeks of battery power. I have the impression you're more on a fanboy trip as beeing objective.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
The color is primarily for pictures and other illustrations. I don't think it's fair to calculate in 800x600 (which would be 600x800 if you want to be right).

Btw. the Kindle DX advertisment is not completely right as well. No way to have 3 weeks of battery power. I have the impression you're more on a fanboy trip as beeing objective.
It depends on how they are calculating the three weeks. That's most likely fudging things. But still it could be valid enough given the fudge factor in use.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #13
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I agree with LuBiB. JBC is unique product because nobody have Color E Ink screen.
All iPads, Nook Tablets and Kindle Fire good for video but bad for long time reading so jetBook Color is a good combination of Color and healthy reading on E ink screen.
I installed April's firmware and it works much faster than before. I still use my
jetBook mini for reading during the trips and use jetbook Color for home reading.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:26 AM   #14
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Either way, the most important thing in a book is being able to read the text, be it black or white. In that, the JBC has a 1200x1600 resolution.
and the image speaks for itself when you see it, it's clearly capable of displaying smaller text, that 800x600 devices can not display; and in the same quality field as 1024x768 to 1600x1200 LCD screens.

Eventhough other e-ink devices have 8-bits of colors on every pixel, and they look nice in black and white, they still don't have color. The JBC has ~4k colors, which in my mind still is better than to have less than 1600x1200 of just B/W pixels.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #15
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
It would be more relevant to see an independent comparison of Jetbook Color and Kindle DX. Any company when producing a comparison will ignore the negative and emphasize the positive. Some fruit named companies have brought this to an art form.

Especially curious, how fast the page turns are for diagram laden 20Meg PDFs on Jetbook Color vs Kindle Dx.
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ectaco, jetbook color, kindle dx, search time