Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-22-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Audiobook recommendations: What to spend those $5 Audible coupons on?

So I grabbed that $5 Audible.com Facebook coupon that was mentioned in the deals thread, as I presume many of you did.

Now, what to get? There are no big $4.95 sales going on right now (coincidence? I think not!) but there is ALWAYS something.

Can any one suggest a good audible.com selection for around $5? I don't mind adding a buck or two more if needed.

Personally, I'm into SF, techno thrillers, James bond type stuff, etc, but I figure we can use this thread to make ~$5 suggestions for anyone's tastes.

What have you got for me?!?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Great thread idea. I have no idea, I've just been hoping for a good daily deal before the coupon expires.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll start us off:

"Hell Hole." the 4th of Chris Grabenstein's 'John Ceekpak' novels is $4.95 for paid Audible members (including Light).
http://www.audible.com/pd/Mysteries-...ook/B002V5BUG0

As a Jersey boy* who spent a lot of time down the shore, I've enjoyed the first three of these cop stories, and though I'm not crazy about how Grabenstein is starting to soapbox his personal politics, or how dark I fear the stories are getting, I'm willing to try one more at that price.

ApK

*Book three had a scene set right near my house. I was actually driving by the place as I was listening to it. I got a huge kick out of that.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I bought The Dead Yard by Adrian McKinty, a $4.49 Whispersync for Voice match for an ebook I bought on sale a few months ago for $2.16. I loved McKinty's Troubles Trilogy and the reviews for this Michael Forsythe series are great, plus Gerald Doyle's Irish lilt is wonderful.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
If you like noir and crime fiction, the Prologue Crime Kindle books are mostly $3, with the matching Audible version also $3. Prologue offered a lot of freebies a while back, so many of you might have the Kindle versions already.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm waiting to see if a Daily Deal appeals, but my backup is the Whispersync deal on The Guns of August at $3.99 plus one of the Whispersync classics I haven't yet purchased for 99¢. I haven't read Guns of August in decades and it's timely this year, so I figured it was worth the listen. I borrowed the Kindle version from Overdrive to get the Whispersync price; I know the timing might be impossible on this option with less than a week to go.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I just used the credit for Reconstructing Amelia. It's is a Kindle Daily Deal today for $1.99, with the matching Audible version for $3.99.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:31 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I spent my $5 coupon on five $0.99 Whispersync titles. I got the first five books in the Barsoom series by Edgar Rice Burroughs. All five titles qualify for the Buy 4, Get $10 promo.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:25 PM   #9
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Hmm. Still Life, by Louise Penny is the first in her Chief Inspector Gamache series, and excellent. It's a $3.99 WhisperSync price if you buy the Amazon eBook at the sale price of $2.99. Not a bad deal, though I have already read it. Oh, and it's one of the nominees for next month's reading club.

Last edited by CRussel; 04-24-2014 at 04:10 PM.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:52 AM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm toying with the idea of getting the Sandburg biography of Lincoln; 44 hours of listening for $7.34 with a rating of 4.6 stars. It would use up the $5 coupon expiring tomorrow and eat up a bit of the $10 coupon that still has two months to go and will combine well with the upcoming $10 coupon. But do I really want to listen to an account of Lincoln, no matter how masterful and poetic, for 44 hours?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:14 AM   #11
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
But do I really want to listen to an account of Lincoln, no matter how masterful and poetic, for 44 hours?
You could listen to it in sync with his real life span, over the next 56 years....

I listened to that free hour of his letters that was mentioned in the deals a while back. It was indeed interesting, but I don't know I'd be ready for 43 more hours of it.....
Old 04-29-2014, 10:19 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Still haven't spent my $10 from the Avis promo; nor have I thought about what to get with the $10 from the Buy 4, Get $10 promo when it arrives. I do know that the titles will all be Whispersync. That's a lot of audiobooks.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:42 AM   #13
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Some of the Ed McBain 87th Precinct Novels are $4.89
Some of the JA Konrath drink novels are $1.99.

Whisper sync titles
some T Jefferson Parker novels are $2.99 with upgrade to audio $1.99
Dana Stabenow first kinde books in the series free upgrade to audio $1.99
Connie Shelton Sweet Masterpiece free kindle & upgrade to audio $2.99
Connie Shelton Deadly Gamble free kindle & upgrade to audio $2.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I'll start us off:

"Hell Hole." the 4th of Chris Grabenstein's 'John Ceekpak' novels is $4.95 for paid Audible members (including Light).
http://www.audible.com/pd/Mysteries-...ook/B002V5BUG0
also the earlier novels are 99c with upgrade $1.99
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #14
ApK

There's a bunch of SF books on sale for $6.95 right now, but I'll mention one in particular:
Avogadro Corp., the first in William Herling's Singularity series, is part of the sale.

I mention this only because the Kindle version of book #2 of the series, AI Apocalypse, is on sale for FREE right now:

http://www.amazon.com/Apocalypse-Sin.../dp/B007FZVI2M

And with the purchase of the free book, you can get the Audible version for $1.99.

A great deal on two thirds of a series! And the first book is proving pretty enjoyable so far.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #15
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
There's a bunch of SF books on sale for $6.95 right now, but I'll mention one in particular:
Avogadro Corp., the first in William Herling's Singularity series, is part of the sale.

I mention this only because the Kindle version of book #2 of the series, AI Apocalypse, is on sale for FREE right now:

http://www.amazon.com/Apocalypse-Sin.../dp/B007FZVI2M

And with the purchase of the free book, you can get the Audible version for $1.99.

A great deal on two thirds of a series! And the first book is proving pretty enjoyable so far.
Looks like you can get the first one for $3.99 (Kindle) + $1.99 (add-on Audible) = $5.98 instead of the $6.95.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote