Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-27-2015, 10:17 PM   #1
marcuslemonis
marcuslemonis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1
Sony PRS T1 - Infinite Reboot Loop on Opening Book

Must say I am pretty annoyed with Sony.

Recently had some issues with the PRS T1. The device was never tampered with or rooted. Typically I would even only keep 10 books at a time on it to keep it fast.

Anyway I ran into a problem where it wasn't loading properly. Yet still functioned when plugged into windows using USB for data transfer.

So I downloaded the latest application from the sony site (Reader software) in which after installing it recommended updating the firmware (I believe to 10.0.7)

After the firmware update everything worked fine once again. I also saw the change to where it said kobo store within the reader. So it works fine for a week and I finish up the book I am reading.

Then I go to plug it into the computer / usb to add a new book and BOOM. Nothing, the thing just bricked. The computer no longer recognizes the device, and all the device does is;

It boots up to the:
Reader
Opening book.....
[status bar]

It just sits there for about 10 seconds, and then flashes and again nothing happens. It constantly repeats itself until the amber flashing light turns red and then stops rebooting (when I assume it runs out of battery). The status bar never moves.

I have tried all the standard stuff, the reset button. The hard reset (in which the screen never changed and it is impossible to get past the opening book screen)

The only thing that showed any type of progress was the Recovering a bricked device (sd recovery, sd rescue) [https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST..._sd_rescue.29]

I would shut it down pressing reset+power for 3 seconds until the led turns off. Then Hold the home+menu and press power. Finally the status bar filled up and I followed the instructions on the wiki. But then the same thing happens, the status bar fills. I release. It sits for about 10-15 seconds then goes right back into Flashing off for a second, coming back on to the opening book screen, and reboots like that infinitely until the battery dies.

I also noticed that the sd recovery didn't have the new firmware update. So perhaps there is another way?

Has anyone else run into this problem or can suggest anything? Point me in the right direction perhaps?
marcuslemonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:45 AM   #2
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Well, try to delete all books from its memory (or recover them if they are no backups ) then try again.

I had myself an issue like this, with a badly formatted ePub. I managed to delete it and everything came back to normal.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2015, 10:49 AM   #3
marcuslemonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Well, try to delete all books from its memory (or recover them if they are no backups ) then try again.

I had myself an issue like this, with a badly formatted ePub. I managed to delete it and everything came back to normal.

Any thoughts on how to go about this?

The ebooks are directly on the reader and not on a SD card.

The computer will not recognize the device, it doesn't show up as a partition when plugged into the computer via USB. The screen never changes from the opening book.

On top of all this I cant even get it to fully charge. I plug it in even via usb to power adapter. It just starts infinitely rebooting until the battery dies even when plugged in.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:09 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My suggestion is to call Sony and see what they have to say.

Phone: 1-239-245-6380

Long distance charges may apply.
Monday - Friday: 8:00 AM to 12:00 AM ET (Midnight)
Saturday - Sunday: 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM ET
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:55 PM   #5
marcuslemonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My suggestion is to call Sony and see what they have to say.

Phone: 1-239-245-6380

Long distance charges may apply.
Monday - Friday: 8:00 AM to 12:00 AM ET (Midnight)
Saturday - Sunday: 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM ET

Thanks I gave them a call,

Pretty much was useless. Gentlemen told me to open taskbar and end the reader process. Then shut off the reader.

When I explained I cannot shut off the reader because it was in some sort of infinite reboot loop and stuck on the opening book and the status bar never loads. The screen just flashes after 15-20 seconds and continues until the battery dies.

He then said okay well go to the website, we don't offer support anymore and even if you need to service the reader you cant because we dont offer support lol.

Does anyone have any kind of trick to get the device recognized when something like this happens? I cant even do a factory reset because it never gets past that opening book screen. The fact I can't see the drives on the laptop and that it isn't recognized when plugged in either makes this exceeding difficult.
Advert
Old 01-28-2015, 06:32 PM   #6
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
When my PRS-350 was having those issues I disconnected the battery.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:34 PM   #7
marcuslemonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
When my PRS-350 was having those issues I disconnected the battery.
Worth a shot at this point. Although dis-assembly seems difficult.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:57 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
When I had this problem, it was due to a bad EPUB file. I think it took several tries of connecting USB before it was finally recognized so I could delete the file. I can't remember the sequence, but I remember there have been similar posts in the past.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:21 PM   #9
marcuslemonis

**UPDATE - cracked the back open. The Lithium Ion battery is actually soldered on to a chip and then the chip to the board. So much for that idea I guess.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:31 AM   #10
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

According to the service manual, the battery can be removed as a block.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:34 AM   #11
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslemonis View Post
The ebooks are directly on the reader and not on a SD card.

The computer will not recognize the device, it doesn't show up as a partition when plugged into the computer via USB. The screen never changes from the opening book.

On top of all this I cant even get it to fully charge. I plug it in even via usb to power adapter. It just starts infinitely rebooting until the battery dies even when plugged in.
Let the battery [fully] die, eg by letting it cycle ad infinituum, then connect it to the computer. It should start in the Charging+Connect mode.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:44 PM   #12
marcuslemonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Let the battery [fully] die, eg by letting it cycle ad infinituum, then connect it to the computer. It should start in the Charging+Connect mode.
I remember one time I had an issue and this solved it.

However this time, it does not help. Completely dead I plug it into the computer via usb. The red light comes on and the second it gets enough charge it just continues to boot up and go back to the infinite reboot. Never leaving the Opening Book screen, and never seeing any progression on the bar.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:48 PM   #13
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Have you tried a hard reset? There are instructions online, including at this site: http://t1-reader.ru/en/reference/reset.html
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:18 PM   #14
marcuslemonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Have you tried a hard reset? There are instructions online, including at this site: http://t1-reader.ru/en/reference/reset.html

Hey,

It is impossible to do a hard reset because it never actually gets past the opening book stage to get to the home screen.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:50 AM   #15
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

Normally it should work. If you have troubles, then maybe it's not the loading of a book the thing that bothers you but maybe a firmware error.