Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-05-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Xia
Zealot
Xia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheeseXia can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 (x2)
$2.99 for Kindle: Measure of the Heart: A Father's Alzheimer's, A Daughter's Return

Measure of the Heart: A Father's Alzheimer's, A Daughter's Return
by Mary Ellen Geist
http://www.amazon.com/Measure-Heart-...7457571&sr=1-1
5 stars out of 5, based on 10 reviews
$2.99 (hardcover is $17.99)

Editorial Reviews
From Publishers Weekly

For everyone who loves someone with Alzheimer's, Geist observes, there are markers and moments that tell you the disease is on the way. Her account of two years spent helping a person with Alzheimer's stay in this world is both travel guide and love story—neither in the conventional sense. As Geist makes her way, trying new things, failing, scratching plans, making mistakes, and starting all over again, she uses her professional skills as a journalist and TV anchor to incorporate conversations with other caregivers, consultation with experts and wide reading in the literature. Sensitive that Alzheimer's disease affects patients and spouses in many different ways, Geist offers helpful suggestions (using his words instead of trying to teach him mine) and practical advice (Doing activities alone is imperative to the survival of a caregiver). True, there was a downside to having to come home to help care for my father, but Geist's love of her parents and their love for one another is as palpable as the sadness wrought by the disease. To all readers, she offers a deeply affecting account of personal growth: I define myself and my life in a whole new way. These days, it is the measure of the heart that matters most to me. (Aug.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

From Booklist
In 2005, when Geist’s mother, Rosemary, could no longer single-handedly care for her Alzheimer’s-afflicted husband, Woody, Geist left her job as a New York afternoon radio news anchor and moved back to the family homestead in rural Michigan. Guess what she learned? That, despite years of long hours following breaking news stories, she couldn’t keep up with her mother. Every morning, Rosemary emerged from the master bedroom perfectly coiffed and ready for the day with a neatly dressed Woody in tow. Even as Woody plunged further into dementia, Rosemary managed to seamlessly fold care for her husband into everyday chores. It took two years of concentrated effort on Geist’s part to master some of the tasks Rosemary handled with aplomb. Through it all, Geist gained insight into the care and feeding of not just Alzheimer’s patients but caregivers as well. In a very personable style she shares tips, lessons learned (some the hard way), resources, and the experience of getting to know her father in a way not otherwise possible. --Donna Chavez
Xia is offline   Reply With Quote