Notices

Old 07-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
barcabod
barcabod began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Organising my folders

Hi

Just bought a Kindle 3 today
I have loaded alot of books onto it and started to put them in collections via the home screen.All this went well,I was thinking it would be easier to find book by naming the collections after the author.

All the collections are now at the start of the home page,but when I scroll to the end of the collections the names of the books are still there (20pages of them told you I loaded alot of books)

Is this the way kindle sorts it?

I was hoping that I would only see collections on the home screen even if i had say 2 pages of collection

I hope to god I have explained myself properly

Any help would be great thanks
barcabod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I don't know about "author" collections, but I just make up my own collections names, like Fiction, Non-Fiction, To-Read, etc., and the books are no longer listed after the collections list.........so, either you are doing something wrong, somehow, the author thing is different, or ?.

Last edited by markdek; 07-02-2011 at 04:15 PM.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Make sure you are sorting by Collections at the top not by Author or Title.
You can change the sort by with the left and right arrow keys.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Make sure you are sorting by Collections at the top not by Author or Title.
You can change the sort by with the left and right arrow keys.
Yep, this could very well be the prob.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
barcabod

Blossom/Mark

Thanks for quick reply
please bear with me
my screen says the following

showing all 129 items by collection

Authors name(2)
authors name (21)
etc

then on bottom it says page 1 of 13

When i click for next page i have 2 more collections then the books that are already in the collections start

So i have

Authors name (9)
then

book title then author etc for another 11 pages

Thanks for your help

Last edited by barcabod; 07-02-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Advert
Old 07-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then you need to add those books to collections. Each books has to be in a collection or it will show after the collection list.

Sometimes Collections can be a bit buggy. When I have a book that wont dissapear from screen I add it to a second collection then once I see it no longer listed I remove it from the extra collection and it usually stays. I find this happen alot if you use subfolders in your documents folder.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranf View Post
You can download the "Kranf Kindle Collection Manager" here:
http://www.applied-mathematics.net/t...onManager.html

It's free!
It's ultra easy to use!
See you!
It does look interesting. I have had a little problem though. Most of my books aren't showing up in collections now, but just as books on the Kindle. So now instead of 9 pages I have 135 pages of books.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:18 AM   #8
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
I too use generalized collection names. Stuff like: On-Deck, Now Reading, Fiction, Horror, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, etc...

However, suggest you look at using the "_" underscore character in your collection/folder names. This will guarantee that your collections stay at the top of your list.

So in my case, I have at the top:
__Now Reading
_On Deck
_Fantasy
_General Fiction
_Horror
_Mystery-Crime
_NonFiction
...etc...

This works for me, FWIW.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #9
barcabod

Blossom

Am I doing this right

On the home screen I press menu and go to new collection
I write the name I want the collection called
Then press add books
I then scroll to books I want in the collection click add then done

This brings up the collection at the front of the home screen

But the books still are itemised after the collections

Hope you can help its driving me nuts
Old 07-05-2011, 02:41 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Yes that sounds right.
Could you have some duplicates maybe? That would make the book show up twice.

I would start over. Slowly add them. I would plug the kindle in while doing it so the battery doesn't get drain reindexing. If it still does and and you have it to Sort by collections and there are still loose books after you added them to your collections. It sounds like something on the K3 is faulty.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:04 AM   #11
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
A bit OT and apologies if this is old news, but have any of you folks tried the applet Kindle Collection Manager?

http://www.colegate.net/KindleCollectionManager/

Learned about it from here on MR. Though still under development I believe, it seems to work quite nicely and is exactly what I used to setup my Collections folders on my K3. Not perfect, as some books don't always transfer to the proper folders, but for sure, the folders I specify get created exactly as I want. Which is good enough for me at this point.

Then I use the K3 itself to copy/move books into the folders I want.

Works for me.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #12
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcabod View Post
Blossom

Am I doing this right

On the home screen I press menu and go to new collection
I write the name I want the collection called
Then press add books
I then scroll to books I want in the collection click add then done

Hope you can help its driving me nuts
Are you certain you are sorting by collections? Unless you sort by collection, your books will always show up regardless of whether they are in a collection or not. To me this is a bit of a flaw with the whole system of collections.

For me, I just utilize the _CollectionName method and sort by author or title (and not worry about the dozen or so pages beyond my collections)...

Out of sight out of mind.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #13
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
A bit OT and apologies if this is old news, but have any of you folks tried the applet Kindle Collection Manager?

http://www.colegate.net/KindleCollectionManager/

Learned about it from here on MR. Though still under development I believe, it seems to work quite nicely and is exactly what I used to setup my Collections folders on my K3. Not perfect, as some books don't always transfer to the proper folders, but for sure, the folders I specify get created exactly as I want. Which is good enough for me at this point.

Then I use the K3 itself to copy/move books into the folders I want.

Works for me.
I'd read about it, but never actually tried it. I may have to, though.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #14
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcabod View Post
If you open a collection, are there books in it? Just to make sure you are adding them right.

If so, to make sure you are using sort By Collections:

1. Click the Home key
2. Look at the heading line just above your first entry (something like 'Showing All 200 items By Collections')
3. If it says anything other than 'By Collections' on the right side of that line then you are aren't sorting by Collection
2. Click the top bar on the 5 way rocker to go up until you are on the heading line above your first entry
4. Click the right bar on the rocker to go right which will change the line to a list of choices (Most Recent First Title Author Collections)
5. Highlight Collections by going to the right and click the centre button on the rocker switch

Otherwise, duplicate books does sound like the most likely issue. Try picking the first book after your collections and adding it to a collection, and then seeing if it disappears from the list.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #15
Stephen in Kent
Stephen in Kent began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
sorry for hijacking a thread but thanks MeMe was always wondering how to sort by books
Stephen in Kent is offline   Reply With Quote