Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-02-2022, 03:33 AM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Another 7" Asymmetrical Reader

There's another 7", asymmetrical reader that will soon be joining the Kindle Oasis, the Kobo Libra 2 and (its cousin) the Tolino Vision 5. It's the PocketBook Era. (Supposedly coming out in July.)

Here's a link to the announcement in the PocketBook forum...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=347144

It has a smaller footprint than the Libra 2, the Vision 5 or the Kindle Oasis, but it weighs more. It's got a flush screen (like the Oasis), includes BlueTooth for audio books and TTS, but also has a built-in speaker, which makes Pocketbook's TTS feature more useful for me. (I don't own BlueTooth headphones and carrying around a BlueTooth mini-speaker is kind of a pain.) It comes in 16 GB and 64 GB versions (like the new Kindle Paperwhite). Supposedly it's going to sell for about $200 (for the 16 GB version). Unfortunately (I'm guessing) this will probably replace the Touch HD 3 (PocketBook's current 6", high-end reader). It still has ADE "built-in", integrated DropBox and the other features that I like about the PocketBooks.

I'm curious if anyone would consider Era reader in comparison to the Oasis or Libra 2? This may be one I'm interested in. Not sure yet I'll have to see some reviews). Oh, it has the E-Carta 1200 screen and USB-C charging port.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:45 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Will the Era be using the latest version of RMSDK?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2022, 07:49 AM   #3
rantanplan
Weirdo
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Shine Color, Tolino Vision 6, Kobo Clara 2E, Boox Note Air 2+
The Pocketbook Inkpad Color already used RMSDK 11. Is there a newer one?
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 10:12 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have no idea. I'm guessing it will be using whatever the RMDSK PocketBook is currently using on their other readers. But, if you asked me what RMDSK was I wouldn't be able to tell you.

EDIT: Okay, finally looked it up. It looks like PocketBook updated to RMDSK 11 early in 2020. I think that's the newest version, right?

And now, at least, I finally know what it means... Reader Mobile Software Development Kit. I guess the version is important?

Last edited by rcentros; 06-02-2022 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-02-2022, 10:54 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Quote:
What is your fascination with RMSDK versions?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2022, 11:09 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
No.

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:22 AM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
The Pocketbook Inkpad Color already used RMSDK 11. Is there a newer one?
That's what I'm wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
No.
What is the latest version?

And, my main question. Why does this matter?
Old 06-02-2022, 11:40 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
What is the latest version?

If you are asking me, I don't know.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:55 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If you are asking me, I don't know.
I responded to your post, but I was basically just throwing the question out there. By what I can find it looks like 11 is the latest version. I guess it means it has more features, but I'm still reading ePubs on older readers and some of them (like the Sony PRS-T3) still look pretty good.
Old 06-02-2022, 12:16 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I responded to your post, but I was basically just throwing the question out there. By what I can find it looks like 11 is the latest version. I guess it means it has more features, but I'm still reading ePubs on older readers and some of them (like the Sony PRS-T3) still look pretty good.
As near as I can tell from Adobe and it's partners such as Datalogics, RMSDK 11 is still the latest version.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 12:52 PM   #11
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
I guess the version is important?
To one MR user, yes. to the rest of the planet, not so much, I suspect.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 01:09 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What is your fascination with RMSDK versions?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
RMSDK is the underlying code for ADE. The latest RMSDK is supposed to be ePub 3 compatible. It follows the CSS and the text rendering is pretty good.
Old 06-02-2022, 01:15 PM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I prefer the Sony PRS-350 and old LCD Binatone Readme (uses old RMSDK) to the rendering of Kobo kepubs. I only use kepub for test, though I understand the features people like on it. For reading actual novels with sensible minimalist formatting I see no problem with current Kobo RMSDK and epub2. Screen size, quality, font, and unobtrusive formatting (not trying to ape an egotistical crayon dept in a paper Publisher's office) is more important than RMSDK version.

I'm very happy with my original Libra (7") or Sage (8") because easy to read and page turn buttons. The Notebooks on Sage have allowed me to give up writer's notebook, journal/diary and workshop notebooks. I thought I'd use the Elipsa for those, but bought primarily for PDF; however when I saw how the notetaking worked I bought a Sage. The Elipsa is often too big & heavy as notebook.

I fix Gutenberg ebooks automatically, the house full of random penguins needs cleaned out by hand and the 50 or so titles I've done from Wordprocessor files rarely need more than 3 image css files edited to match the WP view using a small page size in LO Writer. But I'm not fussed with popup footnotes, or enlarging images by tapping, or multimedia (apps make epub3 look stupid). I want to read. I've given up text books, but they and colour coffee table books still really need paper, though a 10" eink isn't bad for PDF and a high quality 2K or 4K 24" screen for big colour books as PDF.

Last edited by Quoth; 06-02-2022 at 01:19 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 01:38 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
RMSDK 11 has more features and does support ePub 3 better.Supposedly RMSDK 11 uses Readium. So I would hope that RMSDK 11 would be pretty good for ePub 3.
Old 06-03-2022, 12:07 AM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I'm curious if anyone would consider Era reader in comparison to the Oasis or Libra 2?
It costs more for less storage than a Libra 2.

I liked the looks of the Era. But I couldn't see choosing it over the Libra 2 if I were looking at both.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote