baursak
Connoisseur
baursak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2021) Signature Edition
Reading position spontaneous reset

My config is as follows:

1. Kobo Sage after factory reset w/out connect to Dropbox or Google Drive
2. Calibre fresh install on Macbook
3. KTE plugin in Calibre properly working with updating Series on Kobo just fine

However, all my 119 books are now 'Unread' after sync this morning
- just sync, no sending books to Kobo
- all jobs in Calibre are 'green'
- no error mesages

What could it be?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	39
Size:	591.3 KB
ID:	208837   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	36
Size:	476.4 KB
ID:	208838   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.png
Views:	37
Size:	476.4 KB
ID:	208839   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.png
Views:	35
Size:	495.6 KB
ID:	208840   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.png
Views:	40
Size:	502.1 KB
ID:	208841  
baursak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 02:01 AM   #2
baursak
Connoisseur

Update

Maybe the following Calibre preference is the reason (the screenshot below)?

I do not understand what each of them three exactly means

- Manual management
- Only on send
- Automatic management

Or maybe macOS is the reason? I am on the latest Sonoma 14.5. Macbook Pro 14 M2 Pro (2023)

Or maybe Windows 10 is preferrable somehow?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6.png
Views:	27
Size:	735.1 KB
ID:	208843  

Last edited by baursak; 06-13-2024 at 02:06 AM. Reason: edit
Advert
Old 06-13-2024, 04:04 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Did you read any of the books after the factory reset and sending them to your Kobo? If not, unread would be the expected status. If you are using the KoboUtilities plugin, you can create some custom columns to save reading status. See the first page of the configuration dialog for this setup. This will allow you to restore reading status, etc. after a reset.

As for the management? Automatic management so any updated calibre metadata will be sent on connect is my personal preference.

I would also suggest removing the checkmark from Do not treat replacements as new books since that can cause issues when you have edited a book and then re-send it.

Last edited by DNSB; 06-13-2024 at 04:11 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 01:31 AM   #4
baursak
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Did you read any of the books after the factory reset and sending them to your Kobo?
yes, I did

Quote:
If you are using the KoboUtilities plugin, you can create some custom columns to save reading status. See the first page of the configuration dialog for this setup. This will allow you to restore reading status, etc. after a reset.
I did it. But it's a pity, that info is saved on Kobo, which doesn't help. I would prefer it to be saved in Calibre so that I could use it to recover Kobo.

Quote:
As for the management? Automatic management so any updated calibre metadata will be sent on connect is my personal preference.
Thanks. You dispelled my doubts.

Quote:
I would also suggest removing the checkmark from Do not treat replacements as new books since that can cause issues when you have edited a book and then re-send it.
I tried this w/out success.
Old 06-16-2024, 08:36 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you are using the KoboUtilities plugin, you can create some custom columns to save reading status. See the first page of the configuration dialog for this setup. This will allow you to restore reading status, etc. after a reset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baursak View Post
I did it. But it's a pity, that info is saved on Kobo, which doesn't help. I would prefer it to be saved in Calibre so that I could use it to recover Kobo.
Sorry but that information is saved in calibre not on Kobo by which I'm going to assume you mean Kobo's webservers? I've attached a couple of images of how I have this setup. The Store is done on each connect while a restore requires me to use the Restore function in the KoboUtilities Store or Restore Bookmark option.

Image 1 is the configuration page for the KoboUtilities plugin, image 2 is the columns in calibre, image 3 is the Store or Restore Bookmark menu image 4 is the custom columns.

Please note that this will only work for books read by Nickel since KOReader does not store information in the Kobo database.

I use this after any database issues where I had to wipe the database since it will restore the reading status and then I use the Update metadata in Device Library to set the date added to Date (the date the book was added to calibre).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-16 172644.png
Views:	14
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	208924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-16 172831.png
Views:	22
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	208925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-16 173006.png
Views:	16
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	208926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-16 173713.png
Views:	24
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	208928  

Last edited by DNSB; 06-16-2024 at 08:38 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
calibre, kobotouchextended, reading