Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old Today, 05:39 AM   #1
DJUNGELSKOG
DJUNGELSKOG doesn't litterDJUNGELSKOG doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW5/Libra 2
Is my PW5 dead?

Something weird is happening with my PW5. I believe that its internal memory has failed and became read-only. This has happened to my old Pocketbook and I was able to replace it’s SD card. Now my Kindle is exhibiting similar symptoms.

My device is jailbroken and has Koreader installed.

I have noticed that Koreader doesn’t persist the history when I open different books and it doesn’t persist the reading position when the device goes in or out of sleep.

I have decided to try using stock firmware to confirm that the problem is hardware-based and I have noticed similar symptoms. Additionally I could no longer open the “A” menu.

At this point it became evident that the problem is hardware-based and I probably need to replace the device’s SD card. I decided to try rebooting the device, and now it’s stuck in a boot loop. I guess that it’s trying to write some logs on startup but writing doesn’t work. The device won’t connect to the PC either.

Is this something that I can fix? I don’t mind soldering and I’m comfortable with Linux terminal.

Thank you!!
DJUNGELSKOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:39 AM   #2
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
Kindles don't use / have SD card's (only the first ever Kindle model had a SD card slot) as internal storage, they use eMMC.

Also on PW5 model there are no serial connection pads on the (production version of) the motherboard, it uses a special type of USB-C cable. And as a bonus UART input is disabled / locked.

So basically you can't do anything other than attempt to replace the eMMC chip, if you have necessary equipment and skill to do that.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert