Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-10-2019, 06:24 PM   #1
kleinjar
Connoisseur
kleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: none
How terrible (or not) is the relatively recent quick-highlight feature?

Asking mainly out of concern for how the “quick highlight” feature tends to litter the MyClippings.txt file with accidental or erroneous highlights. Edit: Please note that deleting a highlight does not remove it from MyClippings.txt. I use MyClippings a lot and I even have a script for processing it according to my needs.

I don’t have quick-highlight on my PW2 yet. It’s still on older firmware. On my device, you have to tap on “Highlight” in the popup menu before your selection is highlighted and copied to MyClippings.txt. This is how I prefer it. But I’d like to update my firmware to be able to use the newer font options (bolding and sideloaded fonts).

Main question: Is it easy to avoid/prevent accidental and misselected highlights with the current firmware? I don’t want MyClippings.txt littered with mistakes.

I understand you can first select a single word and then modify the selection to avoid quick-highlighting. But how reliable or mistake-prone is that method?

Last edited by kleinjar; 03-10-2019 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Clarity
kleinjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:41 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I didn't realize there was a quick-highlighting feature but not long ago I began to notice that I sometimes got highlights when I was trying to look something up and I was clumsy. I find the feature mildly irritating now that I know it's a "feature". That said, it's easy to get rid of. I can just tap it and in the menu that pops up I tap X and it goes away.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2019, 07:02 PM   #3
kleinjar
Connoisseur
kleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refresheskleinjar can read faster than his screen refreshes

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
That said, it's easy to get rid of. I can just tap it and in the menu that pops up I tap X and it goes away.

Barry
That would still have littered your MyClippings.txt though, which is what I’m concerned about most. Deleting a highlight does not remove it from MyClippings.txt.

Last edited by kleinjar; 03-10-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:31 AM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quick highlight is a setting. You can turn it off in Reading Options.

Myclippings.txt is just a log file and so it is going to collect some junk. If you store your documents in the cloud then you can export notes and highlights using iOS, Android or Fire devices. I never use it myself and wish there were a setting to turn it off.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:35 AM   #5
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
I find the quick highlight option quite good and use it a lot and with success.
However I am sure that success depends on the text-size/finger-size ratio of the individual user.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2019, 07:53 AM   #6
kleinjar
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Quick highlight is a setting. You can turn it off in Reading Options.
I think that only affects whether the popup appears or not, after highlighting. No menu == “quicker” because less taps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Myclippings.txt is just a log file and so it is going to collect some junk. If you store your documents in the cloud then you can export notes and highlights using iOS, Android or Fire devices. I never use it myself and wish there were a setting to turn it off.
I do know exactly what myclippings is, hence this thread. And the cloud stuff you’re describing does not work for sideloaded books.

In future please take care to understand what a thread is about and confirm your answers for yourself before posting.

Last edited by kleinjar; 03-11-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:14 PM   #7
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I'm jealous because I also gave you an answer that didn't precisely fit your original query and I didn't get chewed out for it. Next time I'll try to be a little farther from the mark.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #8
kleinjar
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I'm jealous because I also gave you an answer that didn't precisely fit your original query and I didn't get chewed out for it. Next time I'll try to be a little farther from the mark.

Barry
Thanks for the laugh. What a temper this one has.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:15 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinjar View Post
I think that only affects whether the popup appears or not, after highlighting. No menu == “quicker” because less taps.
There are two cases:
1) 4 words or less: you always get prompted with pop up menu and have to select Highlight explicitly
2) 5 or more words: with ‘highlight menu’ setting Off, highlight gets created (and I assume it is logged to myclippings); with ‘highlight menu’ setting On, the pop up menu includes Undo. I assume that if you Undo then no highlight will get logged to myclippings. So the suggestion was to set it On, so that you have a chance to avoid creating (and logging) highlights accidentally. Of course if the aim was to select text and then invoke Sharing/search/Wikipedia/Translation/Report Content Error, then it is going to create a highlight as well (which is something I don’t like)

Quote:
I do know exactly what myclippings is, hence this thread. And the cloud stuff you’re describing does not work for sideloaded books.

In future please take care to understand what a thread is about and confirm your answers for yourself before posting.
Your previous posts said nothing about sideloading books. Which is why the statement is qualified with “if you store your documents in the cloud...’. Maybe the comment is of no use to you, but you are not the only person reading posts here. It just seemed to me worth noting.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:30 PM   #10
macsek
eReader fan
macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Currently using Kindle PaperWhite 4 /32. Also have a Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinjar View Post
I understand you can first select a single word and then modify the selection to avoid quick-highlighting. But how reliable or mistake-prone is that method?
It works most of the times and I do like quick-highlight; I don't use MyClippings.txt at all, just the GOTO menu.
macsek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:48 PM   #11
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsek View Post
It works most of the times and I do like quick-highlight; I don't use MyClippings.txt at all, just the GOTO menu.
Same. Also, as implied in another post above, I like to use Amazon's cloud services for reading annotations, so I have no reason to use MyClippings. I never 'sideload' books (meaning here: install them only locally on the Kindle device). I always send non-Kindle books to my Kindle account so that I can sync books, notes, and reading data across all devices, and keep all my notes in the Kindle Notebook. I actually love using Amazon's cloud services for reading, to me, it's one of the most useful and attractive reasons to use their reading ecosystem.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:30 PM   #12
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
Same. Also, as implied in another post above, I like to use Amazon's cloud services for reading annotations, so I have no reason to use MyClippings. I never 'sideload' books (meaning here: install them only locally on the Kindle device). I always send non-Kindle books to my Kindle account so that I can sync books, notes, and reading data across all devices, and keep all my notes in the Kindle Notebook. I actually love using Amazon's cloud services for reading, to me, it's one of the most useful and attractive reasons to use their reading ecosystem.
That's exactly how I feel, and it's what keeps me coming back to my Kindles. My Kobo is a great piece of hardware with a beautiful screen, but I absolutely *hate* that I have to connect it to my PC to load content that's not bought from Kobo.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:10 PM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I ONLY ever load ANY ereader via USB.
I want to make sure I have a backup. Time & experience has proven that NOT one Internet depending service or company or "Cloud" is to be trusted.

Any one depending on "the Cloud" for content or functionality is going to get burnt. Like stupid Tesco Tablets that brick if factory reset as you can't reload via USB. Pebble Watch. MS Plays for Sure. Archos Internet Radio. Logitech & Sonos gear.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:19 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
That's exactly how I feel, and it's what keeps me coming back to my Kindles. My Kobo is a great piece of hardware with a beautiful screen, but I absolutely *hate* that I have to connect it to my PC to load content that's not bought from Kobo.

Shari
Can't scp (or sftp) be set up on a Kobo?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:21 PM   #15
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
I ONLY ever load ANY ereader via USB.
I want to make sure I have a backup. Time & experience has proven that NOT one Internet depending service or company or "Cloud" is to be trusted.

Any one depending on "the Cloud" for content or functionality is going to get burnt. Like stupid Tesco Tablets that brick if factory reset as you can't reload via USB. Pebble Watch. MS Plays for Sure. Archos Internet Radio. Logitech & Sonos gear.
Is it not possible that someone can use convenient cloud services for reading, AND backup their ebooks offline and keep them in Calibre at the same time? (Hint: yes).

Tags
firmware, highlighting, myclippings