Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-19-2024, 01:53 PM   #1
rosenthd
rosenthd began at the beginning.

Device: Libra 2, Oasis, Inkpalm 5
Interesting/offbeat ereaders to tinker with?

Hello,

I have been reading on ereaders for a number of years and recently got an Inkpalm5 in an attempt to explore the idea of a phone-sized ereader without sinking the full cost into a Palma or A9. I was wary of the set-up experience, but found that I actually really enjoyed playing around with that part of the process, installing a new launcher, etc.

To that end, I have gone down the rabbithole a bit in terms of looking into off-beat, unusual devices, etc. that I could play around with. From elsewhere, I have been recommended trying out the Badger 2040 kit and a Corogoo.

Any other ideas of something to explore?
rosenthd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 02:40 PM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I do have an small eink module that I bought from MicroCenter.
I haven't done anything with it yet as "use this library" doesn't thrill me.

The InkPalm5 comes from Xiaomi, so I'm not sure how rootable/modifiable it is.
I wouldn't mind something smaller than a 6" reader as a treking nav device.
The eink would be good, but I rely on color also on my custom KML files.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2024, 04:50 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I've got an 7.3" eInk ACeP module for use with a Raspberry Pi. I've played with it a bit but it is so blasted slow with a 35 second full refresh time for an 800x480 display. I went with a LCD panel for the system it was going to be part of.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 03:41 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
So the quoted 1.5 second refresh for ACeP is optimism? That's a sad speed.

I've got lazy, so I now mostly buy ready to go gadgets. The 4.7″ elongated eink is cute, but I don't think there is anything to customise unless it might be a different case. It all comes apart easily. I've a 7.8″ Android eink gathering dust.

I bought a 15″ approx USB powered QHD screen for my Pi (but it has no touch). Has nearly matt screeen and works via HDMI or USB-C DP Alt. I use it more with my laptop as it's better than the builtin 17″ and sits on top. There are touch screen battery powered monitors but most don't seem very good.

I toyed with idea of a BT module in the serial port inside my DXG (I have the module), or custom SW on an original Aura H2O as it has an SD slot, but the IR touch is poor. Maybe I could do something interesting with the Boyue Likebook Mars (7.8″ android eink with SD card slot and WiFi and real headphone socket).

Last edited by Quoth; 06-20-2024 at 03:43 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 01:37 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
So the quoted 1.5 second refresh for ACeP is optimism? That's a sad speed.
The only option in the driver is the best colour refresh. And the screen itself is an older unit (the 127DPI is a great indicator of that). I've only seen one of Eink newer ACeP/Gallery 3 300DPI displays and that was a lot faster though still too slow for most purposes where you are not displaying a static image.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert