Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old Today, 01:46 PM   #1
AnnaSartin
AnnaSartin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre doesn't open

Calibre stopped opening on my laptop; when I try to open it, literally nothing happenes. So I restarted the laptop hoping that would fix it. It didn't. Next I uninstalled Calibre and reinstalled it, then restarted the laptop again. Still nothing. Then I tried the compatibility troubleshooter, but it seems to only troubleshooter for Windows 7, 8, and Vista (I have Windows 10 Home). I looked at the FAQ and deleted the metadata.db file mentioned. Still no help. Lastly, I tried the calibre-debug in command prompt, entered -g and the prompt told me "NameError: name "g" is not defined.

I'm at a loss, does anyone know how to resolve this?
AnnaSartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:16 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaSartin View Post
Calibre stopped opening on my laptop; when I try to open it, literally nothing happenes. So I restarted the laptop hoping that would fix it. It didn't. Next I uninstalled Calibre and reinstalled it, then restarted the laptop again. Still nothing. Then I tried the compatibility troubleshooter, but it seems to only troubleshooter for Windows 7, 8, and Vista (I have Windows 10 Home). I looked at the FAQ and deleted the metadata.db file mentioned. Still no help. Lastly, I tried the calibre-debug in command prompt, entered -g and the prompt told me "NameError: name "g" is not defined.

I'm at a loss, does anyone know how to resolve this?
Do you have the latest version of Windows 10? The version of QT used in calibre has changed to a newer version and you're Windows 10 needs to be basically at the latest version.

Turn off your AV, reboot, and try calibre. Also try safe mode in case something you are running is causing a problem. If calibre does work on your system, you'll have to stop everything running one-by-one (reboot inbetween) until you find what's stopping calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 05:05 PM   #3
AnnaSartin
AnnaSartin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you have the latest version of Windows 10? The version of QT used in calibre has changed to a newer version and you're Windows 10 needs to be basically at the latest version.

Turn off your AV, reboot, and try calibre. Also try safe mode in case something you are running is causing a problem. If calibre does work on your system, you'll have to stop everything running one-by-one (reboot inbetween) until you find what's stopping calibre.
Updated Windows and restarted, no dice. I tried the command prompt again and now it's giving me a bunch of text.

C:\Users\Kenneth Alexander>calibre-debug -g
calibre 7.17 embedded-python: True
Windows-10-10.0.19045-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19045')
Python 3.11.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19045', 'SP0', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
EXE path: C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibre-debug.exe
QPA platform: windows
devicePixelRatio: 1.0
logicalDpi: 96.0 x 96.0
physicalDpi: 106.38743455497382 x 106.82242990654204
ApplicationPaletteChange event ignored
Using calibre Qt style: True
AnnaSartin is offline   Reply With Quote