Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-29-2011, 11:34 PM   #1
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Kobo Vox is Maybe Best Suited for the Tech Savvy...

...or at least those people that are patient and willing to do a bit of research and digging to get the most out of their device.

My sister got my brother-in-law a Vox for Xmas. He was not able to set it up properly right out of the box, so he turned it off and let it charge. When I got to their place, I helped him get the updates downloaded and set-up some software for him. There were a few glitchy things that happened while I was there that I helped to fix (would not turn on after sleep - aka 'sleep of death' to the forum regulars - and also had a strange blinking activity on one of the live wallpapers that caused some panicking). I bought him a really cheap magazine subscription on Zinio and showed him how to download books from the library, etc.

But...once I left, he just couldn't deal with the issues (freeze-ups, server not being available, navigation/touch screen issues, non-responsiveness, not being able to find the right apps to download...basically the usual complaints you see on this board).

It's kind of funny seeing someone you know personally go through all these types of things. Most of my friends do not frequent any sort of forums to get answers (they just want to bash it on the wall or return it), nor do they take the time to call tech support. I find that curious (since it's the opposite of me!), but it leads me to believe that Kobo products are just not well-suited to the average or less tech-saavy user - esp. the Vox, with all of it's complexities associated with an already-glitchy Android operating system.

I offered my tech-support services to my BIL, but he opted to return his Vox to Future Shop - and he said that the staff there said a TON of them were already returned for similar reasons he presented. Not good for Kobo...

Having said all that, I LOVE my Vox so much (as well as my WiFi Kobos), but I am a pretty resourceful person and don't mind digging to resolve problems. It's really just custom-made for what I need, so it's worth the extra research. I've leared a lot about Android, as well, in the process.

I really want to recommend Kobo products to my friends, but I feel like I can't!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:39 AM   #2
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Vox
The device in itself is correct, the problem is the android they are running.
All the non-responsiveness issues, touch-screen, are there because of lag, android lag on the device. But the hardware in itself is able to run it.

Well, I bought my kobo as an areader and a manga reader, and for both of those it's great. All the rest is just bonus.
They didn't lock the device, so it still look like android, and that seem to get people confuse about what the device really it an eReader anything more is bonus.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 06:09 AM   #3
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
My wife is NOT tech savvy but she uses it fine. I am here for support when needed of course. Her Windows laptop needs a lot of support but I think this is expected of Windows but not a tablet and certainly not an ereader.

It is hard to second guess Kobo on their design decisions without knowing their requirements and constraints but I would have designed it differently, that is for sure. People need toaster simplicity so I would preload a working OS and 20 free books and games, app titles and have it ask on initial boot up: do you have a Kobo account? Do you want to make a Kobo account? Or do you just want to read something? If there is no wifi available or the server is unavailable you could still read a book or play Angry birds which means a good xmas morning out of box experience. You could set up wifi and do updates later, optionally. Perhaps there wasn't time to get the software ready before manufacturing started, the schedule may have been too tight, I am in the biz so I know it is way harder and more complicated than it sounds. They send Mars landers to space before the landing software is done and I guess xmas is almost as hard a date as the launch schedule but it is a risky way to ship.

Nowadays with this class of device people need it toaster simple or back it goes... Future Shop is no hassle so they don't care, exchange or return? Return it is... thank you for choosing Futureshop.

Last edited by hpulley; 12-30-2011 at 06:29 AM.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
I agree with all the posters here. I'm not really tech-survey, but the very fact I am here on these forums means that I am willing to try to find solutions before just returning. I am not the average consumer for sure.

I love my Vox (even with its SOD issues) but I simply can't recommend it to just anyone just yet.
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
hope i dont jinx my vox now, but my experience so far has been the opposite

powered it on after i opened it on christmas day and it prompted for an update, this went through without any issues
after this had gone through i was asked if i had a current kobo id or was a new customer
signed in with my id and my books downloaded

had to read up on putting sideloaded books, but this is straight forward using calibre, also had to check on setting up gmail as an exchange account, this was trouble free and now gives email, calendar & contacts synced with google

i mainly got this for use as a reader, so adding apps is not an issue, the inbuilt ones are fine for me (mostly)
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
northbeach
northbeach began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch
I like the Vox.

However, in retrospect, I should have got the 7" Acer Iconia or 7" Galaxy Tab or 9 inch Sony tab. Only the Acer product at $249.00 - $300.00 comes close to the price.
northbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Yeah, I just recommended a kobo touch to a co-worker rather than the vox. I don't regret buying mine but the user experience is certainly not smooth enough yet for the average user.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
annian
annian began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3g wireless+wifi new E ink pearl technology
Adding epub books to Kobo Vox

Please can anyone tell me how to add books yo the Kobo Vox

I have used the guide and gone through all the steps but the books I added are not there

Thankyou
annian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #9
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Did you import them as I suggested in your other thread? Where did you get these epubs? Is it possible they are drm protected? If so, you will not be able to import them into the default kobo reader app.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #10
annian
annian began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3g wireless+wifi new E ink pearl technology
I have found how to do it now just Imported 43 epubs to my KOBO

Instructions:

01) Plug your Kobo into your computer with the USB cable.
02) Turn on USB Storage (this will connect your Kobo to the computer)
03) When your Kobo shows up on your computer (under devices), drag your epubs into the epub folder (Untitled device / KoboPegasus / Epubs )
04) Eject your Kobo from your computer and turn off USB storage
05) Go to your library
06) Go to Menu and tap 'Import Content'
07) Click Start
08) Kobo will now search the built in memory card and pick up the epubs you put into the epub folder.
09) when done all books will be shown with ticks in each
10) Now import content (No to keep on sd card or PC)
11)Will now import all books to library.

Tell it to download and epubs on your Kobo!
annian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
dee_can
Enthusiast
dee_can began at the beginning.

Device: kobo original, kobo touch, kobo vox, ipod touch
I bought my Vox with the thought that I could use it as an extra reader plus have fun learning how to use an android device.

Unfortunately, as a reader, I can't get used to the backlit screen and find it hurts my eyes even on the lowest brightness. I'm trying to give it a chance, though. Maybe I should try sunglasses? I guess if someone is buying it as an ereader they might take this into consideration.
dee_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #12
mr_nobody
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee_can View Post
Unfortunately, as a reader, I can't get used to the backlit screen and find it hurts my eyes even on the lowest brightness. I'm trying to give it a chance, though. Maybe I should try sunglasses? I guess if someone is buying it as an ereader they might take this into consideration.
You have a few things you can try in terms of the brightness:

1. The kobo reader app offers a night mode (white on black) and also sepia which may be better.

2. Aldiko offers more control over brightness than the kobo app does.

3. There is an app called screenfilter which will provide system wide brightness control. Search this forum for it...it's been discussed a couple times.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #13
dee_can
Enthusiast
dee_can began at the beginning.

Device: kobo original, kobo touch, kobo vox, ipod touch
I do have it on sepia, so I find that better. I have Aldiko downloaded, just haven't tried reading in it yet, so I'll check out the brightness settings. And, I'll search the forum for the screenfilter app. Thanks for the suggestions.
dee_can is offline   Reply With Quote