Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-18-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
jeep123
jeep123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Should I return my kindle for a sony reader?

Going on a trip tomorrow morning picked up a kindle for myself and as a gift for a family member.

Love it so far but I read a lot of my own ebooks, free and from other sources. All in the mobi format. I use calibre to organize my library.

The collections aspect on the kindle is awful. I added my library of 200 books and had to manually input each into my 4 collections/genres.

Its very time consuming and even calibre's plugin for collections doesnt work on the K4...

Any thoughts? I got it from best buy so I have about 2 hours to make up my mind before they close haha.
jeep123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Do you think that the collections aspect in the Sony is any better?
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post
Do you think that the collections aspect in the Sony is any better?
Yes, the collection system in Sony is better. The only advantage the KT has over the T1 is the purchasing 'ecosphere'.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I believe the organization in the Sony is better, despite my never having used it.

However, think of the time it is going to take you to either get your books in ePub, or convert the mobis you already have to ePub.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Calibre will automatically convert mobi to epub when you transfer books to the Sony. It doesn't take any time at all. I buy Kindle books from Amazon and load them on my Sony frequently.

As far as collections, the Sony will use Calibre's tag and/or series fields to organize the books. You can change the tags once the books are already on the reader as well.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
jeep123
jeep123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
I found a small program called 'kindle collection manager' after goign through a couple such as kranf kindle collection manager, amazon's own kindle for pc, etc that does the job. I am still using calibre to manage everything and transfer over, then use this software to adjust collections if a lot need to be adjusted. Just a book or two, I can just do it right on the device.

The program requires a full restart of the kindle after the update (hold for 15 seconds not 7) and only lets you tag books into one category but it is a real help.

Honestly this issue and the fact that the kindle sucks at organizing my series is the only gripe I have and I think I have remedied the first issue. Oh and covers dont always show up (rather I get the first screen of the book?)

Supposedly if I get all the series books in the right publication order on calibre (which i have done) it should auto order them in the kindle if i'm searching by collection. it works sometimes, other times it doesnt. I really think its in what order calibre downloaded them to the kindle i'm thinking.
jeep123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep123 View Post

Honestly this issue and the fact that the kindle sucks at organizing my series is the only gripe I have and I think I have remedied the first issue. Oh and covers dont always show up (rather I get the first screen of the book?)
This is a formatting issue. If you want to start at the cover, use the Go To command when you open a new book.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep123 View Post
Going on a trip tomorrow morning picked up a kindle for myself and as a gift for a family member.

Love it so far but I read a lot of my own ebooks, free and from other sources. All in the mobi format. I use calibre to organize my library.

The collections aspect on the kindle is awful. I added my library of 200 books and had to manually input each into my 4 collections/genres.

Its very time consuming and even calibre's plugin for collections doesnt work on the K4...

Any thoughts? I got it from best buy so I have about 2 hours to make up my mind before they close haha.
The plugin does work on the K4. It's the Kindle Touch (K5) that is doesn't work on.

You can always use Kindle For PC to add books to collections then import them over to your Kindle. This is what many K5 users are doing.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Collections, schmollections. Slap 5, 6 or 10 books on the thing and go on your trip. Let calibre babysit the bulk of your library while you're away.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #10
pidgeon92
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Collections, schmollections. Slap 5, 6 or 10 books on the thing and go on your trip. Let calibre babysit the bulk of your library while you're away.
Amen.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
If you're concerned about collections? No. I wouldn't say that going from one device to another would be necessary.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #12
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I'm shocked that Sony still makes ebook readers.
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #13
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
I'm shocked that Sony still makes ebook readers.
Why, what do you know that we don't?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #14
whoever
Enthusiast
whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Windows XP
In Duokan, you throw books into folders and that become collection, I think.
whoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:28 PM   #15
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
While it is a pain the first time you add your library to a reader it is a great deal easier when adding one or two books. You have completed the most challenging element of adding your books, I think you are good to go.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote