Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2015, 08:55 PM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Why doesn't KOBO Preload books on their readers?

Why doesn't Kobo preload free books on their readers?
I much would have preferred having a few hundred of free books on my device, than having to download them from their store...

I mean, they're free, and probably some are worth reading.
It just takes me a few thousand clicks to get my reader load up about 300 books
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:12 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
On the original Kobo they actually did; this was back when the kepub's were actually stored in the database.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2015, 09:43 PM   #3
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Because not everyone wants the same books, and people would inevitably complain about the books selected to be preloaded. This way Kobo doesn't need to worry about which books are loaded on the device, nor making sure those books are in each preloaded firmware, or credited to each account upon creation so a factory reset doesn't get rid of them. And customers are able to pick and choose the free books they want.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:48 AM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
When I bought my Kobo Glo, I remember seeing about 10 free books in the directory, but they didn't display on the reader. Books like Great Expectations, Don Quixote in Spanish, are 2 that I remember off the top of my head, a few other language titles too. To even find out what they were I had to move them off the reader, add an extension to the file names, and then I could open most of them on my PC. But some were from Project Gutenberg and formatting wasn't the greatest. I just deleted them since none of them were anything I'd want on the reader (a good copy of Great Expectations, sure, not the poorly formatted copy they gave). I don't think I bothered to check on the Glo HD.

I'd be thankful they didn't load up the reader with other junk.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Thank G-d no recent ereaders were designed with that kind of redundant idiocy.

If you want to mass-load books onto your ereader, use calibre.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2015, 12:55 PM   #6
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
So that I didn't have to eliminate dozens of books my hubby would never read from my Christmas present to him?

Calibre has been a great aid in adding the hundreds of books I think he might like in an organized fashion (automated collections are great!).
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:04 PM   #7
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
That's ok. Every time you click, and angel gets its wings...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:28 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I mean, they're free, and probably some are worth reading.
The "probably" is part of the problem. If Kobo did preload books, if we were lucky, there would be a big long thread here complaining about the crap they selected and suggesting what Kobo really should preload.

And if we were unlucky, there'd be hundreds of threads complaining.
Quote:
Yes, but they are 300 books you chose and that means you probably want to read. If there were 300 preloaded books, you would still be doing those few thousand clicks to put your books on it. Plus all the extra clicks to remove the ones you don't want.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:51 AM   #9
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
My first Kobo Wifi came with free books . I did read some of them and they were easy to remove or reload with Calibre. The friend I sold it to liked the classic books.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:01 AM   #10
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It just takes a SD card format (about 30 seconds) to erase all of them.
It took me a good 4 hours, to get about 500 books of my potential interest on them (mainly science, history, biography, religion, and some other non-fiction).
Old 12-04-2015, 01:36 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
It just takes a SD card format (about 30 seconds) to erase all of them.
You want to pull the internal SD card out of the Kobo device and format it? That would be a pretty stupid thing to do as the device would stop working.

But I suppose you mean format the user partition when the device is connected to a PC. Not as dangerous, but it would wipe the user info and you need to do the setup again.
Quote:
It took me a good 4 hours, to get about 500 books of my potential interest on them (mainly science, history, biography, religion, and some other non-fiction).
My first reaction was to wonder what you did you do for the other 3.5 hours. When I setup a new Kobo ereader, the sideloading would take maybe 15 minutes. Plus an hour or so of processing by the device. That would put over 1000 books on the device.

But, my second reaction was to work out that that was 30 seconds per book. Everyone of them is a book you want to read. That doesn't sound like a waste of time.

And thinking about your delete time, that's a mass "I don't want any" delete. If having preloaded books is actually a good idea, you would be looking through them and deleting them one at a time. That to me is a waste of time.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:34 AM   #12
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You want to pull the internal SD card out of the Kobo device and format it? That would be a pretty stupid thing to do as the device would stop working.

But I suppose you mean format the user partition when the device is connected to a PC. Not as dangerous, but it would wipe the user info and you need to do the setup again.

My first reaction was to wonder what you did you do for the other 3.5 hours. When I setup a new Kobo ereader, the sideloading would take maybe 15 minutes. Plus an hour or so of processing by the device. That would put over 1000 books on the device.

But, my second reaction was to work out that that was 30 seconds per book. Everyone of them is a book you want to read. That doesn't sound like a waste of time.

And thinking about your delete time, that's a mass "I don't want any" delete. If having preloaded books is actually a good idea, you would be looking through them and deleting them one at a time. That to me is a waste of time.
Like I said,
I took the time to load books of topics of my interest, selected English, selected 'free' and started downloading all those that I thought I'd like.
Screening each book's intro in the Kobo store takes a good 10 seconds.
I don't fully read the intro, but just to get a general guess at what the book would be about.
30 seconds per book isn't that bad!
Old 12-04-2015, 04:30 AM   #13
Desdinova
Eternal light
Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, Touch, H2O - now Aura One and Kindle Oasis 3
The problem with preloaded books is one man's trash is another man's treasure. It seems the public don't want preloaded content when it only takes a small time to load your own.
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:45 AM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdinova View Post
The problem with preloaded books is one man's trash is another man's treasure. It seems the public don't want preloaded content when it only takes a small time to load your own.
The problem with "one man's trash is another man's treasure", is that preloading means you irritate people with trash, and not preloading means you irritate people with having to sideload their treasure.

So the vendors might as well save themselves the trouble, AND irritate the people who will be less irritated -- the people who will have to sideload a few more books than they are already.

And chances are that even they would have to delete large portions of the uncurated mess anyway.
This doesn't remind me of treasure so much as pack-rat hoarding.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:24 AM   #15
ProDigit
Karmaniac

I don't know,
It's still nice to have some good classics on the reader (like Robinson Crusue or something). Much better than nothing.
You'd be able to start reading, and experimenting right off the bat (as soon as you open the box)