Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-07-2022, 01:27 PM   #1
Blakestr
Enthusiast
Blakestr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2017 32 gb Gold
My Tags are a mess - what are best practices for organizing?

Made a catalog but it was a nightmare to peruse - I read on here that a recommended catalog tip (especially for kindle) is to make smaller catalogs that you can add to a collection, which acts as a psuedo table of contents. Great idea.

Except, according to calibre, I have over a thousand tags - sub tags seems like a good idea and I started to do that but then I realized it doesn't reflect an accurate count (so if I have Fantasy tag with 1000 items and I drag a SEPARATE tag "Dark Fantasy, with 50 items" ontop of that tag, it doesn't show a count of 1050 under Fantasy, which doesn't make sense (and yet does, might just be preference)

So rather than try to discover what I'm sure is a best practice, I would ask here for the general workflow. Clearly I'm going to be doing some bulk metadata editing and trimming single tags, but any tips I would appreciate!
Blakestr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 02:08 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I delete all tags that come with books and set my own. I only use the broadest genre tags (fantasy, mystery and so on), plus a couple of others. So I have no more than 20 tags overall. I don't bother with subgenres, that way lies madness.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2022, 02:10 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I delete all tags that come with books and set my own. I only use the broadest genre tags (fantasy, mystery and so on), plus a couple of others. So I have no more than 20 tags overall. I don't bother with subgenres, that way lies madness.
That is a good idea to start tagging my books by genre. But I too remove the mess the publishers leave in the OPF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 02:52 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Don't forget to setup Preferences: Adding books: Adding Actions (a tab): Control how tags are processed (button)

This can be preset to filter and combine tags upon import
(Do you really need tags for 42 ways of tagging Science Fiction?)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 09:13 PM   #5
Blakestr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Don't forget to setup Preferences: Adding books: Adding Actions (a tab): Control how tags are processed (button)

This can be preset to filter and combine tags upon import
(Do you really need tags for 42 ways of tagging Science Fiction?)
THANK you for posting this tip - it was unknown to me and one of the reasons why I posted was to find out stuff like this
Advert
Old 08-07-2022, 09:14 PM   #6
Blakestr
Enthusiast

What's the best way to handle deleting these tags without having to open up the books? just select every category that says "science fiction", science fiction dark, science fiction military, etc, and then just delete it and add it to a science fiction tag while the books are all selected?
Old 08-07-2022, 10:20 PM   #7
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakestr View Post
What's the best way to handle deleting these tags without having to open up the books? just select every category that says "science fiction", science fiction dark, science fiction military, etc, and then just delete it and add it to a science fiction tag while the books are all selected?
Right click on the tag and select Manage Tags
From the pop up box, select the tags to delete and press the delete icon (green arrows) or use the context menu and select Delete
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 10:56 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can do a Master delete of all occurrences using the Tag Browser. Right click the tag name.

Just remember, it is DUMB. If a book only has that single tag, it is still GONE.
I recommend using this method to clear the BS/Garbage tags first.
You can also use the Tag Browser to adjust the CASE of a tag. Right-click:change case...

You can also fix spelling or tense. Series: Mystery vs Mysteries (I choose singular as it applies to the Book, as my standard. I also get rid of junk metadata as applied to a Title or Series: A Novel, Series when used in the title)
Old 08-08-2022, 09:36 AM   #9
Blakestr
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Would you mind sharing your tag list? Trying to even figure out how to narrow mine down IS the way to madness...
Old 08-08-2022, 11:09 AM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakestr View Post
Would you mind sharing your tag list? Trying to even figure out how to narrow mine down IS the way to madness...
  • Fantasy (i.e. fiction taking place in a fantasy world)
  • Science Fiction
  • Arthurian
  • Alternate World (alternate versions of our world)
  • Contemporary (fantasy taking place in modern world, urban fantasy etc.)
  • Mystery (contemporary mysteries)
  • Historical Mystery (mysteries taking place in the past)
  • Historical (fiction taking place in the past)
  • Historical Fantasy (fantasy fiction taking place in the past)
  • Historical Romance (I have a few of those, but no contemporary romances)
  • Thriller
  • Humor
  • Gay (an additional tag for fiction with gay protagonist(s))
  • Lesbian (see previous)
  • Nonfiction
  • Parallel World (fiction in which characters from our world cross over to a fantasy world, or vice versa)
  • Superhero
  • Time Travel
  • VR (fiction taking place in a virtual reality)

plus a few tags concerning reading status and the like.

Last edited by Sirtel; 08-08-2022 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 01:24 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Consider using Hierarchical tags

Mystery
Mystery.Historical
Mystery.Cozy

The dot level is a refinement.
Search on Mystery and you get them all or you could specify a subset.

I also find this really useful for series that have cycles or sub series
Pern.Dragonriders
Pern.Harper hall
Old 08-08-2022, 01:32 PM   #12
Blakestr
Enthusiast

I wouldn't mind this but, as it has been pointed out, subgenres can lead to madness - I'd love a logical framework or examples
Old 08-08-2022, 02:21 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Consider using Hierarchical tags

Mystery
Mystery.Historical
Mystery.Cozy

The dot level is a refinement.
Search on Mystery and you get them all or you could specify a subset.

I also find this really useful for series that have cycles or sub series
Pern.Dragonriders
Pern.Harper hall
I don't use tags for subseries. If marking a subseries is important to me (it's not always), I just put it in the comments.
Old 08-08-2022, 04:09 PM   #14
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I apply 3 tags per book

First set of tags - Library, Fixed, Stub
Library - Book added to the library, yet to be read.
Fixed - Book has been read and coding and formatting cleaned up also.
Stub - A library entry that either represents a pbook or an ebook I want to read
Once Fixed is applied, the other tags below are then applied

Second tags - pbook and ebook
Tells me if I own the paper version or the digital version. In many cases I own both.
I have a lot of stub files in my library that are entries for the pbooks I own.

Third set of tags are genres.
Once I read the book, I add the genre that I feel is most appropriate.
They are the usual type - Adventure, Humorous, Mystery, SciFi etc
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:10 PM   #15
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I probably need to prune my tags, too. Originally, along with the overall genre, I set up tags for the protagonist (if it was a recurring one). For long series, I set up tags for any subseries (for instance, in Pratchett's Discworld, I'd tag books in the Rincewind, Witches, Wizards, Watch, etc. subseries). One of my most used tags is one for Standalone books (those not in a series).
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tags