Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Got my PP, some thoughts...

Well my PP arrived today and I've been playing with it for the past few hours.

Keep in mind these are just my opinions. My other eInk devices, past and present, that I'm comparing with are the Kindle 2, Sony 505 and Opus.

My unit has the current, Sept. 10, 2009, firmware on it.

The Screen: The screen is nice, exactly what I expected. It's virtually identical to that of the Opus and there is little to no difference between it and the bigger versions on the K2 and 505. I think the 5" screens might be slightly clearer, no doubt due to the slightly increased resolution. The screen background is a lighter gray then that of the K2, just like the 505 & Opus.

The Cover: I don't really cover for the case at all. Quality wise it's pretty nice I just find it awkward. The large 'margins' all around the device make it feel more like a holder to me than a cover like the feel you get on the K2 or 505. I think Bookeen and Sony probably have the right idea with these smaller devices with the carrying pouch they both include.

The User Interface: The UI isn't horrible, but it's nowhere near as intuitive as that offer on other readers I've used. Some things take a bit of figuring out. I do find the navigation/page turn beeps annoying, but as they can be disabled that's neither here nor there. I like having folders, like the Opus, although there are benefits to the Sony's collections as well. It's easy to navigate the folders. I like that I can lock the screen which puts it into a standby mode like the Sony & K2 so that I can immediately return to the last page I was reading (unlike the Opus). For most books the TOC was unusable, at least I couldn't figure it out if it is indeed doable.

The Case: The case/housing is pretty nice. The rubberized feel makes it feel a little more solid in my hand than the Opus. Being that I'd likely use this naked without the cover that is a plus. I do notice some mottling to the finish on a small part of the back. Hopefully this is a manufacturing issue (which I can live with) and not a sign that the finish is coming off.

The Ergonomics: They're Ok. You can turn pages three ways, the left side buttons, the 9 & 0 keys at the bottom or the 'scroll wheel'. So far I've found holding it in my right hand and using the 'scroll wheel' with my thumb to work best for me although holding it in the left hand and using the side buttons works quite well too. For me the 9 & 0 key turning is Ok, but not my first choice.

The Nine Formats: I've tried the nine book formats listed on the box. They are PDF, EPUB, PDB, FB2, DOC, TXT, HTML, LIT & PRC. EPUB and MOBI/PRC were my primary concern and I was satisfied with how they display, followed by LIT which wasn't so good. I found for the most part the smallest font size, and sometimes the two smallest, to be so small as to be worthless to me. It seems like everything but EPUB, PDF and MOBI are just thrown on as an afterthought.

PDF: PDF works, but that's about it. If you're fine with how PDF reflows on the 505 you'll probably be fine with this. It's pretty similar from what I recall of the 505. This format has 5 zoom levels.

EPUB: EPUB displays well, however when zooming to the next type size it also increases the size of the annoying right margin page number which sucks. Doesn't have as good a 'feel' as the EPUB reader on the Opus. No progress or battery indicator in this mode. This format has 5 zoom levels.

PDB: PDB displays fine except the chapter breaks were ignored. This format has 3 zoom levels, the largest of which switches you to landscape mode.

FB2: I used a LIT to make an FB2 file with Calibre. Whether it's the reader or the file I'm unsure, but it was unreadable. Text was all run together and broken in weird places. This format has 5 zoom levels.

DOC: The Word doc I used was OK I guess. Fonts were terribly small, but I'm sure that would change depending on the original document. This format has 3 zoom levels, the largest of which switches you to landscape mode.

TXT: Text seems to display fine. This format has 3 zoom levels, the largest of which switches you to landscape mode.

HTML: The HTML I tried looked fine. This format has 3 zoom levels, the largest of which switches you to landscape mode.

LIT: LIT support sucks IMO. Very rudimentary. It ignores the breaks between chapters and I couldn't figure out any way to use the TOC the book I was trying had. Text was broken up with spaces in the middle of words in many places. Also it runs very slow. This format has 3 zoom levels, the largest of which switches you to landscape mode.

PRC: I used a MOBI file (as opposed to PRC) and it worked fine. The text displayed fine in this format. I could not however figure out how to use the books TOC if it's possible. This format has 3 zoom levels.

While perfectly usable, for the most part the experience feels only partially done. It's nowhere near as polished as the Kindle, Sony or Opus in feel/experience. I have a feeling this device would be much nicer if more thought had been put into the firmware. That doesn't mean it's a bad device, just a bit underwhelming. Feels a bit like what I'd expect from a first gen device (the firmware, the controls).

One thing I miss is that all the other devices I've used have had a directional controller and this doesn't. Might seem like a small thing, but it makes them much more 'comfortable' to use.

Am I keeping it? I'm not sure. I really want a 5" device. I think I'll use it a bit more with and EPUB & a MOBI file before deciding.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 09-17-2009 at 06:54 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:07 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
An excellent, unbiased review.

I'm disappointed to hear about the poor implementation of LIT. If they can get that fixed, I might buy it.

In the meantime, I'm looking at Opus and/or will more than likely wait.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
AnemicOak, can you try internal hyperlinks and if there is the ability to go back to the page you came from once you do jump to the link (if you can)? Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:30 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
In the meantime, I'm looking at Opus and/or will more than likely wait.
I can say without a doubt that the Opus has the best overall reader software out there. I returned mine since it locked up so much, but have told BoB that I'll take a replacement as opposed to a refund in hopes that it was a hardware problem (I know the Opus has freezing problems, but mine was doing it a lot).
Old 09-17-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would have to disagree. Other than no full justification, the ADE that Sony uses is quite good with few lockups and the only issue I've had with ePub was when Calibre had to convert some BMP to JPG and did not do it well.
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
AnemicOak, can you try internal hyperlinks and if there is the ability to go back to the page you came from once you do jump to the link (if you can)? Thanks.
I don't have a PDF handy to try, but haven't been able to get links to work in either EPUB or MOBI.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:03 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I don't have a PDF handy to try, but haven't been able to get links to work in either EPUB or MOBI.
Mobi links work and mobi toc works but it is a little cumbersome. you have to use the menu item follow links on both the internal links and the toc links. Once you do that a small number will appear beside each link. you type the number into the field and the bottom of the screen. Tap ok (if there are more than 9) and it will follow the link. As I say, this works for the internal links and the toc.

ePUB does not follow internal links yet but PDF (ADE version) does so the method will likely be the same. On a page with links the 0 key will highlight a link everytime you tap it. Once you get to the one you want on the page then OK will follow it.

This is true both for the V3 and V5.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Mobi links work and mobi toc works but it is a little cumbersome. you have to use the menu item follow links on both the internal links and the toc links. Once you do that a small number will appear beside each link. you type the number into the field and the bottom of the screen. Tap ok (if there are more than 9) and it will follow the link. As I say, this works for the internal links and the toc.
Thanks. It is a bit cumbersome, part of not having a directional controller I suppose, but not at all hard to use. I see you can 'go back' too which is good.

Quote:
ePUB does not follow internal links yet but PDF (ADE version) does so the method will likely be the same. On a page with links the 0 key will highlight a link everytime you tap it. Once you get to the one you want on the page then OK will follow it.
Yeah, didn't think it worked for ePub yet. Just tried a PDF (the manual) and it works easily enough, but with no way to 'go back' isn't as useful as it could be.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 09-17-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

I just realized that if you have stuff on the internal memory and the SD card it doesn't display it all you have to switch from one source to the other with the menus. I'd rather it was combined.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:50 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

This is true both for the V3 and V5.

Dale
I thought the new firmware was going to fix the ADE/ePub bugs. What happened to that? Hyperlinks still broken and the right margin page numbers still increase with a font increase.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:43 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I thought the new firmware was going to fix the ADE/ePub bugs. What happened to that? Hyperlinks still broken and the right margin page numbers still increase with a font increase.
There has only been the one new firmware, which added the hyperlinks for PDF, and changed some font size things. The other firmware RobertB mentioned, I think he said it would come out Monday 9/14, hasn't been seen yet.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:02 AM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Yeah, didn't think it worked for ePub yet. Just tried a PDF (the manual) and it works easily enough, but with no way to 'go back' isn't as useful as it could be.
I got my Pocket Pro today and just upgraded it to the 9/10 version from the eZ Reader site and ePUB internal links work!!!

Dale
Old 09-18-2009, 01:16 AM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
I got my Pocket Pro today and just upgraded it to the 9/10 version from the eZ Reader site and ePUB internal links work!!!

Dale
My bad. You're absolutely right. When I tried it the first time I was doing it wrong. Did you find a way to go back? I didn't.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
My bad. You're absolutely right. When I tried it the first time I was doing it wrong. Did you find a way to go back? I didn't.
Not yet, perhaps it is still coming. Most of my eBooks have back links anyway. I have found a few limitations but at least the basic functionality is there. You can always just remember the page number and jump back using the Goto function.

Dale