Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litter

Device: sony 600
Lexerd Screen Protector

My Lexerd Screen protector (I ordered through Amazon) arrived this afternoon and I installed it on my 600 touchscreen. I am using the
Lexerd - Sony Reader PRS-600 500 TrueVue Crystal Clear PDA Screen Protector

I'm kind of clutzy, so it took two tries, and lots of effort to make sure the bubbles (99%) of them were out. But, it fits perfectly.

When I first tried to turn on my Reader, at first it wouldn't turn on. Then, after I reset, it came on and was fine. I don't know what triggered the problem.

The touch works fine, I tried page turns, clicking for the dictionary, and even writing on the page. All worked perfectly.

The protector seems to be perfectly clear and I do not personally see a difference in reading with having it on the Sony. HOWEVER, I do read all of my books at Medium or Large - getting older or something.

The one thing I noticed (which we've all wondered) is how it impacts the glare. It seems to me that it actually causes just a tiny bit more "reflection" - not enough to bother me, but I if reflections/glare are an issue, you'll want to avoid this.

There is a different protector available supposed to be specifically supposed to be designed for glare. Lexerd - Sony Reader PRS-600 500 TrueVue Anti-glare PDA Screen Protector.
Grandma Aubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
Rangepath
Rangepath began at the beginning.

Device: HP Ipaq 214, BeBook;Prs-600
I put the Proporta screen protector on my 600 today. It doesn't seem to make any real difference to the read quality; but I must say having put numerous screen protectors on various devices over the years that this one was the easiest of them all to put on. Looking at the screen you wouldn't really know it was there!
Rangepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litter

Device: sony 600
Just so you know - I've noticed it picks up a few more fingerprints than the screen did. I keep the lint-free cloth handy.
Grandma Aubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
I wonder, is screen protection really necessary for the PRS-600? I can understand its use for mobile phones (which tend to hang out in pockets filled with keys), but I generally keep my reader in the protective casing that came with it (sure, it won't protect against heavy pressure, but should be enough to prevent scratches when it's in a bag), under the assumption it would suffice. It's a fairly new product, but are there already known cases of scratched readers? Or is this more of a 'better-save-than-sorry' thing for you?
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
terekkincaid
Connoisseur
terekkincaid doesn't litterterekkincaid doesn't litter

Device: nook
I tried the Wrapsol, but as I stated in that thread, it was cut too small for my screen (whether by design or accident, I don't know - I never got a straight answer from the company, though they did offer a refund). It was pretty shiny, though.

I recently received my Lexerd anti-glare film. I don't really care about reducing glare, but I didn't want a shiny protector that added *more* glare (and fingerprints).

It does diffuse light sources a little more, so it does a good anti-glare job. Also, it is as fingerprint resistant as the 600 normally is. I was afraid the antiglare would come at the extreme price of clarity, but it didn't. . After I put it on, I peeled it back halfway to do a direct comparison, and I could't tell much of a difference (I stared really hard and just didn't notice much). After a day of reading, I'm sure I won't notice anything. The real test: I will take it off in a month and see if it seems remarkably clearer to me or not.

I'm sure our 505 brethren are weeping that I've done this, but since this is my first reader, I guess I don't know any better

And FragFrog: Yes, the screen will eventually become scratched with little hairline scratches, even if you don't ever use the touchscreen (and especially if you do). One day, a tiny grain of dirt/sand will sneak in your case and leave little marks. Over time, these will add up. If you have a screen protector, you just peel it off and spend $10 on a new one. If it's your screen, you have to pony up $200 for a new screen or just deal with it. I have been using mobile (i.e. carry with you all the time) touchscreen devices (PDAs, phones, etc.) for 10 years now, and every one has tiny (or large in a couple of cases) scratches. Only my first device didn't have the screen protector to keep the actual device screen safe. I learned quickly

Last edited by terekkincaid; 11-10-2009 at 10:11 AM.
terekkincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2009, 10:20 AM   #6
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Hubby uses screen protection on all his gadgets - mobile, mp3 player, camera etc

I never do because I usually buy cases/covers and I am very careful with my items. I also hate the thought of a piece of cheap plastic over my gadgets just the same as I hate the thought of a table-cloth over a nice table - it's meant to be viewed as is IMO! Maybe I have weird ideas!!!

I have to say that apart from finger prints over touch-screens which can easily be wiped off with a proper cloth, I have never had any visible scratches or damage to my screens.

So maybe it depends whether you want to use a case and how careful you are.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
screen protector