Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-16-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
Insouciant Soul
Insouciant Soul began at the beginning.

Device: vox
Bricked vox? please help!

I was trying to get the android market on my vox via the steps in this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1323660&page=7
I had copied the .apks to my vox and was trying to move them to the system / apps folder but was having some trouble getting them to copy. It started to get quite laggy, I eventually forfeited and decided to power the vox off and on and see if that would make it run more smoothly. Upon repowering the vox, it stopped on the start up screen, and won't deviate from there. I have tried the factory reset involving holding down the volume up button with the power one, it seems to succeed in doing the reset, however afterwords it still won't boot up. I'm wondering if I should try peeling off the back and pressing a button there? how would I go about doing that? Or are there other options?
Insouciant Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:08 AM   #2
BWinmill
Nameless Being

As far as I can tell, the button on the inside just interrupts the power and doesn't do a factory reset.

One thing that you can try is peeling off the back to get to the internal SD card. By using Linux and an SD card reader, it should be possible for you to remove the changes that you made to the Vox.
Advert
Old 01-16-2012, 02:53 AM   #3
Insouciant Soul

Hmm.. Unfortunately I don't have an sd card reader. Maybe I'll have luck and chapters will exchange it.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
You can try formatting the vox's drive from your pc. That has been known to trigger a full system reset afterwards.

[edit]: Oh, and these are the current market instructions:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=160948

Last edited by mr_nobody; 01-16-2012 at 08:30 AM.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Vox
Have you tried doing the unofficial unbricking method? I think it is something as follows...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...69&postcount=5

You would need to use step 2. Once you get it right that should replace your /system with factory default /system image, and you will have to update the Kobo to the latest version manually... Let me know if it works!
danifunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
Insouciant Soul

I had seen that step before searching the forums, tried it with no success, and had seen that advice no where else so I didn't have much faith. But after a couple tries, it looks like it has worked. Thank you!
Old 01-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Awesome! Excellent news... Now I know what to do if i totally brick my vox...
Old 01-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
Insouciant Soul

Maybe not the right place to ask but I have been unable to find an answer and want to refrain from starting a new thread. I have the set of .apks sitting on my externalsd card. When I try to select and copy them, then paste them in the system/app folder, it says operation failed. What am I missing?
Old 01-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insouciant Soul View Post
Maybe not the right place to ask but I have been unable to find an answer and want to refrain from starting a new thread. I have the set of .apks sitting on my externalsd card. When I try to select and copy them, then paste them in the system/app folder, it says operation failed. What am I missing?
Have you mounted the system/app folder as R/W (read/write)? if not that may be the problem.

Cheers
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
Insouciant Soul

Yeah I have done that, and it replies with 'success'. Still can't copy any of the files though. i've tried each one induvidually, it just says failed everytime :/

I have a feeling maybe the mounting as read write isn't working as it says it is? what else would be stopping me? I've also had the files in the download directory of my internal sd and couldn't move them from there either

I can copy/paste the files from my internal sd to external sd no problem. But still no lucking going to apps folder. I don't think mounting it as read write is working. How can I fix that?

fucked around with it too much... factory reset take 2

Last edited by Insouciant Soul; 01-16-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #11
danifunker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insouciant Soul View Post
Yeah I have done that, and it replies with 'success'. Still can't copy any of the files though. i've tried each one induvidually, it just says failed everytime :/

I have a feeling maybe the mounting as read write isn't working as it says it is? what else would be stopping me? I've also had the files in the download directory of my internal sd and couldn't move them from there either

I can copy/paste the files from my internal sd to external sd no problem. But still no lucking going to apps folder. I don't think mounting it as read write is working. How can I fix that?

fucked around with it too much... factory reset take 2
There is a problem with the program that I initially recommended. Try using ES File Explorer instead. I'm trying to write a program but am lacking a little experience in android programming...