Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-29-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
New large novel compared favorably to Proust - Anyone read this?

Being a huge fan of Proust (which I will begin re-reading shortly) - perhaps a reading group here on Mobileread is in order? - I ran across "My Struggle Book 1," by Karl Ove Knausgaard.

This is a 6-volume set of over 3,600 pages and has been compared to Proust.

I was so intrigued that I bought volume 1.

Has anyone read this book?

Here's a link to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/My-Struggle-Ka...Ove+Knausgaard

Here's a review quote from the New York Times Book Review:

"Why would you read a six-volume, 3,600-page Norwegian novel about a man writing a six-volume, 3,600-page Norwegian novel? The short answer is that it is breathtakingly good, and so you cannot stop yourself, and would not want to...Arrestingly beautiful."

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-29-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
What is it about you and "size"?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
What is it about you and "size"?
Old 05-29-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
3,600 pages and no e-book availability. MY BACK!!!

I'm tempted to read book one. Is there such a genre as doorstop autobiography?
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #5
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I've read a lot recently about this series, but I haven't begun reading it. There was a rather interesting piece written by Ian Brown in the Globe and Mail a few weeks ago and then a review the following week. I found the second volume on Overdrive from my local library, but not the first.
I too would be interested in hearing from others who've actually read it.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2014, 11:26 AM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just put Volume 1 on hold at my local eLibrary

Last edited by MickeyC; 05-29-2014 at 11:29 AM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
3,600 pages and no e-book availability. MY BACK!!!

I'm tempted to read book one. Is there such a genre as doorstop autobiography?

The first three are available from Amazon as ebooks.

(I haven't checked the remaining three. They may not yet be available in English.)
Old 05-29-2014, 01:15 PM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

(I haven't checked the remaining three. They may not yet be available in English.)
Nothing past book 3. I read on reddit that they are being released one per year.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:43 PM   #9
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Oops. I found it now. In Canada it appeared to not be available, but that's because I needed to search for A Death in the Family and not My Struggle to find it.

A Death in the Family

Not available as an e-book from my library yet though.

Last edited by HomeInMyShoes; 05-29-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Nothing past book 3. I read on reddit that they are being released one per year.

Ouch!

That's a long time.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:00 PM   #11
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Being a huge fan of Proust (which I will begin re-reading shortly) - perhaps a reading group here on Mobileread is in order? - I ran across "My Struggle Book 1," by Karl Ove Knausgaard.

This is a 6-volume set of over 3,600 pages and has been compared to Proust.
I've seen this come up when searching for Proust-related titles. I might read this after I finish my current re-read of Proust. It'll take a while.

A reading group sounds like a good idea but I wouldn't want to be obligated to read x amount of pages per day just to participate.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:29 PM   #12
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Amazon.ca has the first section A Death in the Family for $5.19 right now.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:48 AM   #13
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Slightly O/T but Anthony Powell "Music of Time" sequence, 12 volumes of about 80-90 thousands words each is a good read along Proustian lines.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
Slightly O/T but Anthony Powell "Music of Time" sequence, 12 volumes of about 80-90 thousands words each is a good read along Proustian lines.

I actually have volume 1, which was a freebie from somewhere. (I started reading it, but got side-tracked with some other books and temporarily shelved it.)

Thanks for the reminder of this, however.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:42 PM   #15
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
I actually have volume 1, which was a freebie from somewhere. (I started reading it, but got side-tracked with some other books and temporarily shelved it.)

Thanks for the reminder of this, however.
I've seen the Anthony Powell books in stores. They have a painting on their spines that, when the entire series is placed together, makes a complete picture of several people dancing. That kind of design is something that printed books still do better than electronic ones.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote