Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 06-16-2024, 04:04 AM   #1
sadhu44
sadhu44 began at the beginning.

Device: none
two tabs open in editor pane

Also, is it possible to have two files (tabs) open at once in the editor pane? I find it useful e.g., to edit main and the footnotes files. I have to jump back and forth inputting ids and hrefs.

Is it possible to split the window for an individual file (e.g., shows <style> in headers and also the text with the style? This is also very useful when editing endnotes in the same text file.

Thank you
sadhu
sadhu44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 04:35 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadhu44 View Post
Also, is it possible to have two files (tabs) open at once in the editor pane? I find it useful e.g., to edit main and the footnotes files. I have to jump back and forth inputting ids and hrefs.

Is it possible to split the window for an individual file (e.g., shows <style> in headers and also the text with the style? This is also very useful when editing endnotes in the same text file.
I believe that the calibre editor isn't intended to be a fully-featured ePub editor.

You might find Sigil, a free open-source cross-platform ePub editor, works better for you.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2024, 05:39 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Open two instances of the editor editing the same book and keep the windows side by side.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 05:42 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I believe that the calibre editor isn't intended to be a fully-featured ePub editor.
Have to disagree, respectfully, I use both, each has features the other either lacks or is inferior - e.g. calibre's spell checker handles multi-language texts better.

That said, Sigil has a couple of footnote related plugins the OP might want to take a look at. I'm not aware of anything similar for the calibre editor, but could be wrong… again. Search for 'note' in ==>> Sigil Plugin Index

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-16-2024 at 07:41 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 09:43 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I'm with BR.
Each has its strong points for the way I think (work).

Limiting yourself to just one, is doing yourself a disservice
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2024, 08:46 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I'll join the group saying that you should have and use both. Sigil is my goto editor but there are several tasks where the calibre ebook editor is a better choice.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 09:44 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Open two instances of the editor editing the same book and keep the windows side by side.
But Kovid, if you edit both instances won't the second instance saved overwrite the edits done in the first instance saved?

Example:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-17 103316.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	208930

When I save the left instance, the EPUB will have the "Quick Brown Fox" line. If I then save the right instance the "Quick Brown Fox" line will be overwritten with the "Cow Jumped the Shark" line.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-16-2024 at 09:46 PM. Reason: attachment went AWOL
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 09:57 PM   #8
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I asked a similar question a while ago...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=345831

KevinH offers a useable solution.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 10:49 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
But Kovid, if you edit both instances won't the second instance saved overwrite the edits done in the first instance saved?

Example:

Attachment 208930

When I save the left instance, the EPUB will have the "Quick Brown Fox" line. If I then save the right instance the "Quick Brown Fox" line will be overwritten with the "Cow Jumped the Shark" line.

BR

Presumably here you are referring to the ids in one window and updating the hrefs in the other. If you want to edit both, then all you need to do is not hit save. Finish all your editing then copy the changes in one file from one editor to the other, and hit save only in the second editor.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
editing endnotes