Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-24-2016, 08:02 AM   #1
brennansf
brennansf began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino
Metadata changes don't appear on titles in Tolino reader

I have calibre, at the moment mainly to edit metadata. I'm a little bit stumped though. When I edit metadata for books from the reader, I click title and author so that everything is green, click OK, and assume that the information will be edited in the Tolino as well. But it isn't. What am I doing wrong???

Jerry
brennansf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:45 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to resend the books to the reader for metadata updates to show.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2016, 10:45 AM   #3
brennansf

But send them from where to the reader?
Old 07-25-2016, 10:57 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennansf View Post
But send them from where to the reader?
You are asking this in the Calibre Forum.

If the metadata has been corrected in CALIBRE, it does not magically transfer to a Tolino.

The Send process, includes the latest metadata with the transfer.
If you use the O/S Copy, that does not happen
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:32 PM   #5
brennansf

Thanks very much for your patience. I'm asking this in the Calibre forum because I am new to this software and I have not mastered or fully understood the process. That is exactly the help I am looking for, and that is what forums like this are usually for. I never suspected a 'magical' operation. You act like everything here is self-evident, but this function is not particularly clearly explained in the manual--something I read through before turning here. I don't even see a Send function on my interface.

But, look, if it is too much trouble to help, just don't bother.
Advert
Old 07-25-2016, 07:27 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@brennansf - when you update the metadata the library database is updated and a copy of the changes are stored on the book folder (for database recovery purposes) - that's all.

When you plugin in your device, then providing calibre can 'see' it, the top toolbar should change to include Send to Device, and the column On Device should appear on the extreme left of the book list.

When a book is Sent to a device, or Saved to disk it will contain the current metadata from the database. If you want the book file in the library to be updated with current metadata, you can use the Embed Metadata feature, you will have to add it to one or more toolbars via Preferences->Toolbars.

IMO the best way to get up to speed with calibre is via the Video Tutorials

As a general rule I do not like video tutorials, loathe them more like; however, the calibre video's are an exception. Watch a segment, pause video, practice on test library - if you don't get it, rewind and repeat...

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-25-2016 at 07:33 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:42 AM   #7
brennansf

@BetterRed Thanks very much for the info. I'll give it a try. Much appreciated!
Old 07-30-2016, 09:52 AM   #8
brennansf

Hi, BetterRed,

Worked like a charm. Thanks so much for your help.

Jezzer