Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-15-2016, 08:51 PM   #1
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Oasis shut itself down while there was still charge at the cover

Why did my Oasis shut itself down when there was plenty of battery charge left at the cover? I started with both batteries at the Kindle and the cover fully charged at 100%. I started reading at light level 24 (maximum brightness) for 6 straight hours, WIFI off. At the end of 6 hours, I started to get low battery warning message before the device shut itself down. Before it shut down, I looked at the battery meter and it showed that the battery at the Kindle was at 10% while at the cover was still at 44%. Then the battery at the Kindle went down to 5% and then downed to 1% before it finally shut down while the battery at the cover only went down a bit further.

This mechanism made no sense. When the Kindle and the cover are connected, shouldn't it use the battery at the cover first before draining the battery at the Kindle? And why shut it down when there was still 44% battery charge at the cover? Why can't it draw current from whatever part of the unit still has battery charge?

6 hours battery life when both the cover and the Kindle are connected is unacceptable. The battery life of my KPW1 is significantly longer. It lasted 13.5 hours with light level 24 (maximum brightness), WIFI off. The Oasis has been advertised as Kindle with the longest lasting battery life ever but it doesn't live up to its claim.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:58 PM   #2
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
I'm worried about my Oasis too. It has the best screen of any Kindle I've had so I'd really hate to return it but the whole battery system is behaving inconsistently.

If I plug the Oasis with cover into a power strip both will charge to 100% (at least according to the meters). When I unplug it the Oasis meter drops immediately to 94%. I don't know if that's normal or not. If I put it to sleep for a while and then wake it up the Oasis sometimes still shows ninety-something percent but a couple of times it's been down to sixty-something percent. That's a big difference if I want to then take the Oasis out by itself.

In my only full timing test of the Oasis with cover attached I got about 24 hours of reading time -- wifi off and light at 17. That's about what I expected.

I've done a couple of tests to see how long the Oasis battery will last without the cover. I charged it in the cover, plugged into a power strip, until both meters showed 100% and then immediately removed the Oasis from the cover.

The first time I did that, I got about six hours reading time spread over a couple of days -- no wifi, light at 17. That seemed about right.

The second time I got a low battery warning after only two hours and thirty-nine minutes of reading. I put it back in the cover and it showed that the Oasis battery was at 3% and was being recharged by the cover (cover was ninety-something percent). I went on reading with the cover attached and a few minutes later it turned itself off and showed the dead battery symbol.

I'll do about another week of testing and if it's still inconsistent I'll have to return it.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2016, 10:02 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Did either of you contact CS at Amazon?
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:31 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
My Oasis lasted for 3 days before the battery ran out - and that was with the cover attached.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:36 PM   #5
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
My Oasis lasted for 3 days before the battery ran out - and that was with the cover attached.
Yes but what is the total reading time, the time you actually use the device? What is the level of light brightness?
Advert
Old 05-15-2016, 10:43 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
Yes but what is the total reading time, the time you actually use the device? What is the level of light brightness?
Light reading over a weekend. I didn't even finish the book before the charge ran out.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:57 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Sounds like the Oasis is a Dud!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:05 PM   #8
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't called Amazon yet. I want to do a little more testing first.

The sad thing is that I really do like the Oasis. Up until now my favorite ereader, in terms of size, shape, and weight, has been my six-inch Kobo Aura. My reasons won't make much sense I know but I just really like the Aura's proportions. It's not as tall and thin as other ereaders and somehow the shape makes it feel like a very old book. The Oasis is a similar shape (slightly more exaggerated) and the combination of shape and cover feels similarly old and pleasing to me.

I'll probably mostly use the Oasis in a case but I'd like to be able to use lightweight third party cases when I'll be carrying it around. Six hours reading time without the battery case would work for me if it were reliably six hours. Buttons and asymmetry don't matter much to me either way.

I've not had consistently good luck with Kindle screens. My PW1 is blotchy, although it didn't bother me too much. My Voyage is distinctly and annoyingly two-toned; I really should have returned it. I can see a slight color shift on my Oasis and faint light cones and shadows but it's really a very good screen. I hate that the screens are such a lottery; it makes me reluctant to do an exchange.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:45 AM   #9
dimm
dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis
I'm pretty hard reader. Reading about 3-4% from 800 pages book each day. On weekends more. English is my second language, so it takes me more time to read this than it would take from average american reader. WiFi enabled ans light on 17.

So, Oasis without cover attached lasts about 1.5-2 days. With cover it held for 8 days - more or less like my Voyage.

With this data one can easily see that Amazon's claim about longest battery life is sales pitch, to put it bluntly.
dimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:22 AM   #10
Julius Caesar
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimm View Post
I'm pretty hard reader. Reading about 3-4% from 800 pages book each day. On weekends more. English is my second language, so it takes me more time to read this than it would take from average american reader. WiFi enabled ans light on 17.

So, Oasis without cover attached lasts about 1.5-2 days. With cover it held for 8 days - more or less like my Voyage.

With this data one can easily see that Amazon's claim about longest battery life is sales pitch, to put it bluntly.
I think the problem rest on Amazon decision to split the battery in two parts, one at the device and another one at the cover. The battery at the cover can only be used for charging the battery at the device. It can't be used for powering the device itself and that's why in my case, the device shut itself down even though there was still 44% battery charge left at the cover. Had Amazon combined the two batteries in one unit, we wouldn't have this problem since the battery could then be used at its maximum potential.

Last edited by Julius Caesar; 05-16-2016 at 06:10 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:57 AM   #11
dimm
dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
The battery at the cover can only be used for charging the battery at the device. It can't be used for powering the device itself
I sure it's quite opposite. When you attach cover you see battery icon starts to display charge of cover and not charge of device. It means that now it treats it like single device. In my case it continues to work even if device itself was almost discharged. If it's not your case - maybe you have defective kindle.
dimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:15 AM   #12
disconnected
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimm View Post
I sure it's quite opposite. When you attach cover you see battery icon starts to display charge of cover and not charge of device. It means that now it treats it like single device. In my case it continues to work even if device itself was almost discharged. If it's not your case - maybe you have defective kindle.
Mine seems sort of random. I've been checking the meters periodically while I've been reading with the Oasis in its cover. Sometimes the numbers for the Oasis percentage will start going back up after it drops to the low nineties, but usually it keeps dropping down into the eighties before starting to go back up. A couple of times I saw it drop into the seventies and sixties while I was reading but I was too tired to keep reading to see how far it might drop.

I've also put the Oasis to sleep in its case and woken it up periodically to check the meters. The numbers were similar. I can't see any pattern to it at all.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:11 PM   #13
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I like the idea of the Oasis but I've been holding back from getting one because of worries about the battery. I like to read my Voyage without the cover around the house but the Oasis' battery is so much smaller that without the cover it'll go down pretty fast.

Typically a lithium ion battery gets from 500 to 1000 full charges, where a charge from half full counts as 1/2 charge, etc. It seems like without the cover the Oasis just might use up the battery's lifetime pretty rapidly. With the cover, at least if it works the way they say it does, it should last a long time but with the cover it's heavier.

I'm holding off on getting an Oasis till I have some reason to believe this isn't going to be a problem and my hopes aren't very high. I'd hate to pay that price for a short lived device.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:49 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Amazon needs to make a thicker Oasis with a single battery no battery in the case.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:12 PM   #15
Shinytop
Connoisseur
Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Shinytop never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon needs to make a thicker Oasis with a single battery no battery in the case.
They do, it is called the Voyage, an excellent device.
Shinytop is offline   Reply With Quote