Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-01-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Kindle and DRM will it change

As we know, the controversy over the TTS in the K2 has ended in Amazon adding a flag that can tell the K2 to allow TTS or not on a per book basis. What I want to know is how is this new flag going to affect the DRM? Is this going to make it so .azw files can no longer be liberated?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is this going to make it so .azw files can no longer be liberated?
I hope not. I guess if it does I'll be back to FW & BoB for files I can disinfect.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
if it does happen, all Amazon has to do is update the firmware of the k1 and k2 and voila, a new DRM that needs a new program to crack.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
Aybara
Aybara began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
They actually decided not to fight it in anyway and simply added a flag?
Aybara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
if it does happen, all Amazon has to do is update the firmware of the k1 and k2 and voila, a new DRM that needs a new program to crack.
And someone will and we'll all just keep movin' along.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I think the mobipocket format already provides for a read alowed flag. If not then a custom metadata (xmetadata tag) can be added. The OPF file is XML and it certainly looks to be extensible from what I see.

This won't change the DRM or file format at all.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:28 AM   #7
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I don't know if it would get cracked.

I mean look at topaz. There are some people playing around with it a bit but it's been around for over a year and we've not had anyone crack it yet (at least publicly.) Or look at LRF.

The problem is ebooks are still so niche that we don't have a lot of hardcore hacker types willing to do the grunt work to get through these.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:57 AM   #8
joshewah
joshewah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 & 2
People complained about DRM in the iTunes store, and I think it was basically the same situation. The people publishing the content are hard headed and stuck in the old ways of thinking. Now look at the iTunes store... they have all the music DRM free that once had DRM all over it.

It probably won't happen overnight, but I think its too soon to say it won't ever be removed.

On the iTunes store, first it was all DRM. Then it was an option for the people who owned the rights to have it DRM free, and now everyone is on board (even the large record labels people didn't expect to change).
joshewah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:45 AM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think the mobipocket format already provides for a read alowed flag. If not then a custom metadata (xmetadata tag) can be added. The OPF file is XML and it certainly looks to be extensible from what I see.

This won't change the DRM or file format at all.
It it is just a flag in the metadata then it is trivial to enable. So I assume that the implementation must use some encryption or put it in the book content.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote