Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old Today, 03:42 PM   #1
john_wtt
john_wtt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Weird Chinese JDRead e-reader, need help identity the equivalent model

So my friend just gave me this e-reader with a dead battery and it seems like the thing used Android and when I finally disassemble the thing, it seems like the thing is manufacture by Onyx. The motherboard got boox_jd_v03 marking and it seems like this one is manufactured in 2018. The CPU is a i.mx6 mcimx6l8dvn10ab CPU and apparently having 8GB of LPDDR2 ram (part number: nt6tl256t32ba-g0) and 8gb of emmc ? The model according to JDRead website is JDRead 1. The thing only have Chinese interface and does not have any option to change to English. I can't turn on ADB as there isn't an option to. I need some help in identifying the equivalent international version and somehow turn on ADB to backup the system of this device
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240722_192507966.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	209724   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240722_192502213.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	921.2 KB
ID:	209725   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240722_193950942.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	869.1 KB
ID:	209726  
john_wtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:46 PM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I don't know much about the old Onyx stuff. The RAM is 8 Gbit, i.e. 1 GByte.
That single core Freescale iMX6 processor is the same as the B&N Glow series from Netronix.

I don't see a conspicuous UART on this thing, but you might check the gold dots near where the power switch goes on. The dots by the USB and the eink connector are probably not anything. It's probably all 1.8V logic. If you have a terminal app you can stop it booting and make it run fastboot.

I wrote a utility for booting this if it becomes bricked (running off the iMX6 ROM bootloader) but you need a copy of the uboot and the Android boot image. See imxlink.exe in my sig.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 05:10 PM   #3
john_wtt

That 4 pins looks like it could be a possible UART pins, is it possible to check that using a multimeter ?
Old Today, 05:15 PM   #4
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Yes, a meter could give you indications.
Some consoles are only active in booting and not during Android.
Look for something that is at 1.8V normally and wiggles lower when booting.
You look for the TX out of the UART first, then see if you can find RX.
If there are 4 pins one of them is ground and one might be voltage supply, 1.8V or 3.3V
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:07 PM   #5
john_wtt

Also, what's the posspossibility of porting English to this Android image ?
Advert