Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-04-2021, 02:22 PM   #1
pamthereader
pamthereader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10thGen
Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) to Calibre... how?

I quote from an old post from 2010. The response was not helpful in sending questioner to some site that doesn't exist...so my question is this one again. HOW HOW HOW? And again THANKS

Oh please someone help! I'm trying to figure out how to get a just-purchased epub book from Adobe Digital Editions into Calibre so I can remove the DRM and read it on my kindle.. I've installed the DRM removal plugins.

However: If I try to "get book" from the download folder, all Calibre finds is an address for the book that doesn't turn into a book, despite plugins that were supposed to remove the DRM. I tried sending the file to my kindle, but that didn't work either. I'm also unable to "get book" from my ADE library, because ADE doesn't show up in the list of selectable things on my desktop and Calibre doesn't see it.
So how in the world do I get the book into Calibre in a form in which the DRM can be stripped and I can read it on my kindle?

Thanks, all you gurus out there.
pamthereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:09 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamthereader View Post
I quote from an old post from 2010. The response was not helpful in sending questioner to some site that doesn't exist...so my question is this one again. HOW HOW HOW? And again THANKS

Oh please someone help! I'm trying to figure out how to get a just-purchased epub book from Adobe Digital Editions into Calibre so I can remove the DRM and read it on my kindle.. I've installed the DRM removal plugins.

However: If I try to "get book" from the download folder, all Calibre finds is an address for the book that doesn't turn into a book, despite plugins that were supposed to remove the DRM. I tried sending the file to my kindle, but that didn't work either. I'm also unable to "get book" from my ADE library, because ADE doesn't show up in the list of selectable things on my desktop and Calibre doesn't see it.
So how in the world do I get the book into Calibre in a form in which the DRM can be stripped and I can read it on my kindle?

Thanks, all you gurus out there.
You are not going to get much in the line of answers here since detailed discussion of DRM and it's removal are disallowed.

Some general comments:

The file in your downloads folder would be a .acsm (Adobe content server message) file which tells ADE how to download the file. It is not a book as such. You will need to use ADE to download the book file.

What OS are you using? If Windows, from calibre's Add books, browse to the My Digital Editions directory in your Documents directory. Oddly, if I recall correctly, the same for Mac OS but not at a Mac now so not certain.

For more detailed help,check Apprentice Alf’s Blog.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2021, 04:38 PM   #3
pamthereader

Thank you, David. I shouldn't have just cut&pasted the question... because I do know the route...and wasted your kind reponse a bit there...but, I am using the **()& Big Sur. Not really so bad but it's just new to me yesterday from (High Sierra ..no less) so I'm getting adjusted. So. The question really is, how do I get to the ADE and choose the book I want to bring into Calibre. BEFORE Big S. I could download to an older SonyReader and pick up the AddBooks from that Folder/File. Now - I need another route...do you know one?
Old 02-04-2021, 04:41 PM   #4
pamthereader

...for I am really a luddite on understanding what's being called for w/in the +AddBooks button... as in SingleDirectory... I HOPED would be straight forward to take me to ADE and then I could select the book I wanted... as before..BigS. Alas - there is seldom an 'as before', Is there��
Old 02-04-2021, 06:02 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you, David. I shouldn't have just cut&pasted the question... because I do know the route...and wasted your kind reponse a bit there...but, I am using the **()& Big Sur. Not really so bad but it's just new to me yesterday from (High Sierra ..no less) so I'm getting adjusted. So. The question really is, how do I get to the ADE and choose the book I want to bring into Calibre. BEFORE Big S. I could download to an older SonyReader and pick up the AddBooks from that Folder/File. Now - I need another route...do you know one?
Have you already installed and registered ADE on your computer? If so, you should be able to download books by opening the .acsm files with ADE. Once they have been downloaded, you should be able to copy them to calibre using the Add books functionality.
Advert
Old 02-04-2021, 06:15 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
...for I am really a luddite on understanding what's being called for w/in the +AddBooks button... as in SingleDirectory... I HOPED would be straight forward to take me to ADE and then I could select the book I wanted... as before..BigS. Alas - there is seldom an 'as before', Is there��
The Add books or Single directory should give you the same results if you only add books from one directory as Add books will open at the previously opened directory.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:27 AM   #7
pamthereader

Good morning, David... where I am. Re your advice etc -- that is EXACTLY what I thought would happen..with ADE being the Single Directory but... nooo. It is not. That being said, it's good to know it SHOULD... any suggestions on where to go on this next?
Old 02-05-2021, 10:44 AM   #8
CathyA
Zealot
CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
1. Are you able to open the book and read it in Adobe Digital Editions? If not, you need to fix that first before doing anything with Calibre.

2. If you're able to see the book's text in ADE, then open Calibre and click on the Add Books button. When the Finder opens, navigate to Documents\Digital Editions (or My Digital Editions) and the book should be there.
CathyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 09:57 AM   #9
pamthereader

Thank you. That is exactly the step I was missing, Cathy... going to Documents/Digital Editions... solved my issue...

Best
Pam