Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
42mm
42mm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Question is it possible to merge multiple text files looking like a magazine on kindle?

Hi,

Im new to Calibre and have a question. I tried to find a already existing thread covering this, but didn't succeed.

I'd like to do the following:
I've got a folder on my hard drive containing lots of text documents (.doc, .odt and such). I used Calibre's periodical function for automatically downloading news before and love it. Is it possible to somehow generate a file for my kindle looking like a magazine and containing all those text files?
I tried to do this by creating a catalog (looks exactly like i want it to) but I was unable to include the full text instead of only the small file format picture.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in Advance!
42mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
As you noticed, the content of the Comments field is added to Descriptions. You can optionally merge the contents of another field to Comments with the 'Merge with Comments' dropdown list.

If you were to copy the contents of your text documents into a custom column of type 'Long text, like comments, not shown in the tag browser', then specify that field in the 'Merge with Comments' field, you would have the contents of your documents in your catalog. Obviously you would lose the ability to navigate the text documents - they would simply be the text of the document presented in a continuous layout.

However, be aware that very large periodical files (the catalog is a periodical) on Kindles can have very poor performance. Give it a try.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert