Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old Today, 03:18 AM   #1
mattfr
mattfr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Blank pages in Epub when it is read.

I am just wondering if anyone has some words of wisdom about the blank pages issue in Epub readers? Is there anything in the code of the Epub you can add to prevent this phenomenon? It seems random on different Ereaders. No matter how clean the code is at the end of the section the blank page still appears when it is read with an Ereader. Thanks, Mattfr
mattfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:32 AM   #2
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Do you have a book you can share? If it is in copyright, you could scramble it before uploading.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 06:21 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Do you have any reason to believe Sigil lies at the root of your issue? Using Sigil to make a problematic epub does not necessarily make this about Sigil. Post some code samples and we might be able to rule Sigil out (or in). Otherwise, we're flying completely blind.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:29 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfr View Post
I am just wondering if anyone has some words of wisdom about the blank pages issue in Epub readers? Is there anything in the code of the Epub you can add to prevent this phenomenon? It seems random on different Ereaders. No matter how clean the code is at the end of the section the blank page still appears when it is read with an Ereader. Thanks, Mattfr
The problem comes in some programs when the content hits the bottom of the page. If the next page is another HTML file, then you could get a blank page.

This has nothing to do with Sigil.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:47 AM   #5
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
As JSWolf mentioned, it is more than likely some kind of overflow issue. Unfortunately, your coding could be perfectly correct but the reader device/app could be causing it's own issues...thus the randomness.

For example, if you have an image on a page that uses 100%, or 100vw/vh, that would be perfectly acceptable coding...But if the device/app calculates screen space and sets aside landscape for headers, footers, etc. the TOTAL area used would be greater than the screen...causeing the overflow and the extra blank page at the end.

As Diap mentioned, we can't troubleshoot any further without something to work with...example coding and what devices you are seeing the problems with would help.

Cheers!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 07:49 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
As JSWolf mentioned, it is more than likely some kind of overflow issue. Unfortunately, your coding could be perfectly correct but the reader device/app could be causing it's own issues...thus the randomness.

For example, if you have an image on a page that uses 100%, or 100vw/vh, that would be perfectly acceptable coding...But if the device/app calculates screen space and sets aside landscape for headers, footers, etc. the TOTAL area used would be greater than the screen...causeing the overflow and the extra blank page at the end.

As Diap mentioned, we can't troubleshoot any further without something to work with...example coding and what devices you are seeing the problems with would help.

Cheers!
I wonder if there is a fix for this if it is an overflow issue.

For an image, use a bottom margin of 0. For the last paragraph, use a class that gives it a bottom margin of 0.

Do you think these might work?
Old Today, 07:55 AM   #7
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have these same issues even with a zero margin set on everything, that's why I mentioned that it could be caused by the device/app itself rather than anything the coding does. Hard to tell without seeing any of the coding.
Old Today, 08:03 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I have these same issues even with a zero margin set on everything, that's why I mentioned that it could be caused by the device/app itself rather than anything the coding does. Hard to tell without seeing any of the coding.
I normally have blockquotes set with a 1em bottom margin. But when the blockquote is at the end of the chapter, I use a class to set the bottom margin to 0 so a blank page might not happen.
Old Today, 08:57 AM   #9
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

And that almost certainly helps, but the problem is still there even when ALL items have a zero margin. I’m pretty sure ONE of the issues is how (and in what order) the device/app allocates it’s reading space. That is completely independent of the coding. I’ll draw a picture of what I mean after I get home from work.
Old Today, 10:50 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
And that almost certainly helps, but the problem is still there even when ALL items have a zero margin. I’m pretty sure ONE of the issues is how (and in what order) the device/app allocates it’s reading space. That is completely independent of the coding. I’ll draw a picture of what I mean after I get home from work.
I use Bookfusion on iOS and the problem of the blank page does exist.