Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-19-2011, 08:20 AM   #1
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
(UK/ROI) Free John le Carré audio books

The Guardian are giving away free John le Carre audiobooks this week. The first three (The Honourable Schoolboy, Our Kind of Traitor and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy) are up already.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/seri...ree-audiobooks

It looks like you have to give a name and e-mail address to claim them.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Clara,Clara Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
The Guardian are giving away free John le Carre audiobooks this week. The first three (The Honourable Schoolboy, Our Kind of Traitor and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy) are up already.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/seri...ree-audiobooks

It looks like you have to give a name and e-mail address to claim them.
Nice catch, thanks.

I've just downloaded Honourable Schoolboy, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, and Our Kind of Traitor. They are the Chivers unabridged versions read by Michael Jayston. Nice.

1.2GB of good listening. I'm looking forward to the next 4 days.

Last edited by banjomike; 09-19-2011 at 09:57 AM.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Thanks alot it didn't wory them that I was from downunder all I had to do was give a few details to get an account and voila free audiobooks Thanks !
Warning the download is incredibly slow
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Also, although it says UK/ROI only, it accepts USA as a country and gives you a promo code.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
Thanks alot it didn't wory them that I was from downunder all I had to do was give a few details to get an account and voila free audiobooks Thanks !
AudioGo is always slow and always makes you grab it in huge zip files. I suspect the download speed will pick up in a few days (after this is over) and once in your library, you can download it anytime.
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Clara,Clara Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
On my UK 10 Meg connection it downloaded at 9.9 average. I suppose Aussieland is a bit further away.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Nice deal, thanks! Loving the audiobooks, now that I have a driving commute again.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
Gronk
Zealot
Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, PW2, Sony PRS 950, 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Also, although it says UK/ROI only, it accepts USA as a country and gives you a promo code.
But after I apply the promo code and get the total down to zero it reverts to full price if I try to continue. Am I doing something wrong?
Gronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #9
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
That happened to me a few times with one of them. I signed out of audiogo, closed the browser and tried again. Actually, with that one, I think it was "traitor," I also just deleted it from the cart and readded it manually by searching for the title and adding the unabridged mp3 edition to my cart and reapplied the code.
After that the others worked no problem.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:22 AM   #10
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
AudioGo is always slow and always makes you grab it in huge zip files. I suspect the download speed will pick up in a few days (after this is over) and once in your library, you can download it anytime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
On my UK 10 Meg connection it downloaded at 9.9 average. I suppose Aussieland is a bit further away.
Time of day may also have an impact. I downloaded Smiley's People today at 07:15. Average download speed was 30Mbits/sec, so it took a little under two minutes.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:19 AM   #11
koland
Grand Sorcerer

I'm getting 115 on one download and 90 or so on a second (and downloading a video and two Audible books at the same time).

At least their daily quota was reset, so you can try downloads again. If you do get blocked, you can always get them later, so long as they make it to your download library.

The fourth title, Smiley's People, is now available.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:16 AM   #12
avantman42
Wizard

Today's download is A Perfect Spy. I had an e-mail yesterday from AudioGo. It appears that their servers are struggling with the demand (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGo
Dear AudioGO Customer,

Our apologies for the difficulties many people have experienced in downloading the FREE John le Carré audiobooks as promoted in the Guardian newspaper.

The extraordinary response to the promotion, and the consequent demand for these downloads has placed immense pressure on our servers and many people have been unable to complete their download first time.

Please be assured that if you have successfully completed the checkout process and the download is showing in your download library on audiogo.co.uk then your downloads will be fulfilled. We will ensure that everyone who has completed the promotion sign-up and redeemed their chosen title will receive their audiobooks.

Although the unique codes for these titles are only valid for a week, once added to your download library there is no time limit for accessing your downloads.[/B]

If you experience difficulties downloading the files then please do try again after a small wait.

To complete your download please follow the steps below:
1 - Return to the AudioGO website - ( http://www.audiogo.co.uk ) - and log in to your account using the email and password you used to claim your download.
2 - Go to 'My Download Library'.
3 - Click on 'Download' next to your John le Carré title.
4 - Click 'Save' on the File Download window that appears.
5 - Select where you would like to save the folder. Your download will now commence and may take a while, dependent on your internet connection.
6 - When the file has downloaded extract the MP3 files from the folder.

You extract the files either by right-clicking with your mouse (on a PC) then following the instructions on screen or, if you are using a Mac, you should be able to open the folder straight away. You can then import the MP3 files to your player of choice. More information on this process is available on our Help page. ( http://www.audiogo.co.uk/help )

Once again our apologies and we do hope that you enjoy your audiobooks.

The AudioGO Team

AudioGO, St James House, The Square, Bath. BA2 3BH. Reg No: 1315795.
As Koland said earlier, as long as you get the audio book into your download library, you're OK. You can download it later if need be.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #13
koland
Grand Sorcerer

They are using a google app for the downloads - I only know due to the error I got the first day it was posted here, once they went over quota for downloads for that day.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #14
Gronk
Zealot
Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, PW2, Sony PRS 950, 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
Today's download is A Perfect Spy. I had an e-mail yesterday from AudioGo. It appears that their servers are struggling with the demand (emphasis mine):
What is the code we need to get it free?
Gronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:16 AM   #15
koland
Grand Sorcerer

You get the code after you sign up. Use a throw-away email if you don't want to chance getting an email from The Guardian.

Tags
audio books, free