Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-22-2023, 09:53 PM   #1
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Tag browser, Keyboard focus, Find and Rename

I have keyboard shortcuts for Tag browser->Find next match (Ctrl+Alt+F) and Tag browser->Give the Tag browser keyboard focus (Ctrl+Shift+T).

After giving the TB keyboard focus and entering something in Find, subsequent use of Ctrl+Alt+F finds the next item and underlines it, but it doesn't get kb focus. So, I can't press F2 to edit it, or press the ≡ key to get the context menu. But, I've discovered I can give it focus with the ↓ key... be good if it just got focus without the extra keystroke.

Once it has focus, I can press F2 or select Rename <whatever> to open the item for editing, but in the case of F2 the value is selected (i.e. fully highlighted for overtyping) whilst selecting Rename puts the insertion cursor at the end of the value for appending.

Why should there be an inconsistency?

FTR: I 'hate' the fact that F2 invariably assumes the user wants to overtype what's there. So, I wouldn't object to a calibre Tweak that controlled what happens after F2 is pressed in the book list, tag browser, category editor's etc... i.e. Overtype (default), Prepend or Append**. Ditto clicking or pressing Ctrl+F to edit the search box, when I press Ctrl+F it's normally to append an 'and' or 'or' term.

BR

**I have a vague memory that 30+ years ago such options were common - even on dumb block mode terminals.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 02:54 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
what's ctrl+alt+f the default keybind for that is full text search. As for the discrepancy, this will fix it: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...c8c611546ea364
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2023, 12:22 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The way F2 now works in the Tag browser, i.e. position the insertion point for append is also consistent with its behaviour in the Category editor

Which leaves the behaviour of F2 in book list cells out on a limb, it assumes the user always wants to over type what's there. Could it be made to behave the same way as the other two - i.e position the insertion point for append.

BTW: over the past week I've made use of the Undo delete popup on two or three occasions, it works unbelievably well. The books were restored and the book list was refreshed in the blink of an eye.

I assigned Ctrl+Alt+F to the Tag browser find next action years ago. I don't use calibre's free text search, I've been using Windows search and X1 on calibre libraries for years… and I see no reason to change.

BR
Old 05-28-2023, 11:05 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
. . .

Which leaves the behaviour of F2 in book list cells out on a limb, it assumes the user always wants to over type what's there. Could it be made to behave the same way as the other two - i.e position the insertion point for append.

It's in 6.18.1 folks.

BR
Old 05-29-2023, 12:21 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dont celebrate that was a bug All edit widgets now select their content which is standard behavior for this type of thing across most programs and OSes
Advert
Old 05-29-2023, 03:08 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Depends whether one views the book list as a spreadsheet or file browser. Because I edit in it, for me it's a spreadsheet. Pretty sure F2 in the spreadsheets I've used over the last 30-40 years open the cell with the insertion cursor at the end of the current value - i.e for append. Here's Excel after F2 on a cell with a value:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-05-29 152754.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	201751

Following your earlier response to this thread, F2 in the tag browser now opens the edit box for append. In the Manage category dialogues F2 on the key value does the same, but F2 in the Link column opens the cell in overtype mode .

I think there's a strong case to be made for consistent behaviour of the F2 key. Having it behave differently in different places for no apparent reason makes no sense to me. My preference would be to always open the edit box for append irrespective of what's there, or context. Maybe it could be a Preference.

It may also be the case that it matters less if a single click mouse click is used - you just click again at the end of the field - but after pressing F2 the equivalent is right arrow or End .

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-29-2023 at 03:34 AM.
Old 05-29-2023, 04:35 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

F2 now opens with everything selected everywhere.