Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
sarahmelissa
sarahmelissa began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Counting Tags

So I've spent the last couple of months chipping away at the tag metadata of all my ebooks. I've gotten it down from 5000 to about 350. I did a significant portion of it in the bulk tag manager, which has resulted in the problem of many of the books having too many tags (upwards of 10).

Can anyone explain to me how to create my own column that contains the tag count for each book? I've been trying to decipher the Calibre user manual for a few hours and my eyes are starting to glaze over...

I'd really appreciate a bit of help! Thanks so much
sarahmelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
atjnjk
Zealot
atjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Please read this (search for "count(separator)").
I think what you need is
Code:
{tags:count(,)}
Edit: I usually use Quick Search (the text box on the left column of the manual) to find what I need if I don't remember exactly where it is in the manual. In this case, I typed "count" and clicked the second link. Using more words, Quick Search for "count custom column" will give you the right link as the first result.

Last edited by atjnjk; 03-20-2012 at 07:55 AM.
atjnjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Create a column with type "column built from other columns". You probably want to set the "Search/Sort column by" box to "Number" so that you can use numeric sorting, and also searching such as #yourcolkey:>10.

Set the template to
Code:
{tags:count(,)}
For completeness, the above is a single-function mode template. The same template in template-program mode is
Code:
{tags:'count($, ',')'}
The same template in general program mode (runs faster than either of the above) is
Code:
program: count(field('tags'), ',')
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmelissa View Post
So I've spent the last couple of months chipping away at the tag metadata of all my ebooks. I've gotten it down from 5000 to about 350. I did a significant portion of it in the bulk tag manager, which has resulted in the problem of many of the books having too many tags (upwards of 10).

Can anyone explain to me how to create my own column that contains the tag count for each book? I've been trying to decipher the Calibre user manual for a few hours and my eyes are starting to glaze over...

I'd really appreciate a bit of help! Thanks so much
The Quality check plugin has a excessive Tag count (number configurable) check. Once the (count exceeded) results display, you can choose where to go from there
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
sarahmelissa
sarahmelissa began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
So happy!

Thank you all so much for your responses. I'm so grateful, I could hug you!
sarahmelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
code, columns, count, help needed, tags