Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-29-2008, 01:15 AM   #1
Knittingfor4
Knittingfor4 began at the beginning.

Device: Still Shopping
Just discovered ebook readers!

I thought everyone was reading on their computers/laptops! I told dh that was terrible, my eyes get so tired. Now I'm all pumped up I'm a full time mom to 4 kids under 7. I often only have one hand. It's kinda hard to hold open a book with only one hand while my baby wiggles around while she's nursing and my 2yr old is climbing on my lap for cuddles at the same time.

I'm posting in the "which one to buy" forum, and in the morning I'll continue browsing the site. I'm anxious to pick one and buy! Goodnight
Knittingfor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:16 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittingfor4 View Post
I'm posting in the "which one to buy" forum, and in the morning I'll continue browsing the site.
Well ... It depends.
If you are from USA, the path of least resistance is to buy Sony Reader PRS505. Or perhaps Kindle, if you would like to buy e-books from Amazon with one click from a device.
If you are from Europe and you have BIG budget for getting a reader buy an Illiad.
Tell us where are you from (just continent, or a region - like North America, or Central Europe, or Australia), how are you planning to get your books, what books do you like (each reading device supports different kind of DRM), how big a budget you have ...

The advice I can give you without knowing more is just:
buy a reader with an e-ink display.

I personally have Sony Reader PRS500 and I am very satisfied.

For list of devices see
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_devices
and
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
and of course Wikipedia ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-book_device
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2008, 02:17 AM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Welcome. And have fun with your decision
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
Knittingfor4

Hi, I'm in America, plan to use a computer to buy books, and don't care about price. I want to get what I will use. I've blocked out Kindle, but could be convinced I guess. Just don't need it's gimicks really and don't want to limited to just one source of books, even if it is amazon! I just read novels with text and no pictures. I'd like to be able to shop around for prices on books and use or convert formats so I have access to more variety. And of course it must have e-ink
Old 01-29-2008, 11:01 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I'd like to be able to shop around for prices on books and use or convert formats so I have access to more variety.
You have two options: a) buy MS LIT break the DRM and convert for whatever device you want, or b) buy MOBI and use Cybook or iLiad. Note that (a) can be combined with (b), so a Cybook gives you maximum flexibility. A Sony might be best with (a), but it lacks dictionary support.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Welcome to the Forum. I recently got a Sony 505 and like it a lot.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:04 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
No matter which device you ultimately choose, you will be limited to one native form of DRM. With the Kindle it is AZW and with the 505 it is BBeB. But you can purchase other DRM formats and convert so you have an even larger amount of eBooks available for your soon-to-be-new-device. The tools for creating eBooks for the 505 are quite good. We have Libprs500 and Book Designer. Both do a nice job. The Kindle has Book Designer, and the Mobi tools that Tompe created as well as Mobigen. So basically, either is a good choice from the standpoint of not really being limited to one DRM format. The 505 is about $100 cheaper though.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Be aware that all this "it can be converted" they talk about, means you have to have a PC. I myself am allergic to PCs, and only believe in Macs. This affected my decision about which device to purchase. [I'm waiting for a Kindle to be delivered....]
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:03 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddorfdeb View Post
Be aware that all this "it can be converted" they talk about, means you have to have a PC. I myself am allergic to PCs, and only believe in Macs. This affected my decision about which device to purchase. [I'm waiting for a Kindle to be delivered....]
I can convert just fine using my MacBook Pro. You do need Windows available (through Boot Camp, Parallels, Fusion) for some things to be doable though.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:05 PM   #10
Knittingfor4

Oh now I'm confused? Isn't Mac just one brand of PC? PC = personal computer right? It did when I was growing up Yes, I have a dell here at home with cable internet and a dh with a computer degree so I would think I'm pretty much set for whatever comes my way.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:29 PM   #11
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Oh now I'm confused? Isn't Mac just one brand of PC? PC = personal computer right? It did when I was growing up
Grumble, grumble. Yes, PC *USED* to just mean personal computer. Sorry, but some of us Mac people are sore at the usurpation of the term. IBM kinda named theirs "PC" and now the term means "Windows computer". At least, in general usage it does.

Yes -- maybe it's time for me to get a MacBook Pro. (drool, drool...) I haven't convinced myself of the need for that quite yet (specially with unpaid furloughs and layoffs coming up at work ). The Kindle is enough of a splurge in today's economy. But the Kindle will probably make a dual-boot Mac be the next item on my wish list! I'd love it! (Not really *against* Windows; just against single operating system software. Ignore my mutterings!)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:03 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Oh now I'm confused? Isn't Mac just one brand of PC? PC = personal computer right?
Now, Knittinfor4, it's not nice to tease the MacUsers.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:11 AM   #13
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Hi, I'm in America, plan to use a computer to buy books, and don't care about price. I want to get what I will use. I've blocked out Kindle, but could be convinced I guess. Just don't need it's gimicks really and don't want to limited to just one source of books, even if it is amazon! I just read novels with text and no pictures. I'd like to be able to shop around for prices on books and use or convert formats so I have access to more variety. And of course it must have e-ink
Then my recomandation for you is to buy Sony Reader PRS505.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:48 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddorfdeb View Post
But, if you want to be able to convert content for use on your Kindle, you will NEED Windows. So get over it and get a copy of XP and Boot Camp that sucker right onto your MAC.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:13 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd recommend a CyBook. Somewhat more expensive than the Sony yes, but has a number of features that the Sony doesn't, such as dictionary support, the ability to load any font onto it, proper font family support (ie "real" italic and bold fonts, rather than "synthesised" fonts), world-wide warranty, etc, etc. It really is worth paying the extra for over the Sony (IMHO).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote