Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-26-2023, 08:33 PM   #1
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Go 10.3, Boox Leaf 2
Boox Tab Mini C

After some pondering, I pulled the trigger and bought a Boox Tab Mini C. I was curious about the color aspect, but there were other good reasons to buy it, such as a good CPU and 64 GB of internal storage - things that Boox usually saves for larger devices. Mine came with a stylus and a magnetic case.

For those who aren't very familiar with it, the Mini C is a 7.8 inch display ereader with color capability. It offers 300 dpi for text and 150 dpi for color. The color won't compete with most phones or tablets, but it isn't bad. You can highlight text in various colors. It's a nice touch, as long as you don't expect OLED. The one down side is that colorful areas seem to have a little ghosting now and then.

The device has 4 GB of RAM and 64 GB of internal storage, and an unusually large battery for its size. I'm curious to see if that battery size translates into better battery life. The Mini C has (as far as I can tell) the same CPU as the Ultra C and the Note Air 2. If this is so, then it should be possible to root it - if I happen upon a reason for doing so!

I have been adding books, installing apps and charging up the battery. Everything seems to be running as expected. The Mini C has a solid feel but I don't find it too heavy for reading. It is heavier than my Leaf 2 is, but it is larger! Page turns seem smooth and quick.

I haven't used the stylus yet, nor have I listened to audio over the speakers. I'm only beginning to explore this device and to read with it.

Overall, I'm impressed with what I've seen so far.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 06:44 AM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
The Mini C has (as far as I can tell) the same CPU as the Ultra C and the Note Air 2. If this is so, then it should be possible to root it - if I happen upon a reason for doing so!
Yes/no. It would be good to double check if they have cranked up the security on this.
You can just try pulling the boot image with EDL.
If you have the disk space on your desktop it wouldn't be bad to make a full raw backup.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2023, 07:47 AM   #3
Pentam
Connoisseur
Pentam began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Tab Mini C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Yes/no. It would be good to double check if they have cranked up the security on this.
You can just try pulling the boot image with EDL.
If you have the disk space on your desktop it wouldn't be bad to make a full raw backup.
I can confirm it works.
Having followed the instructions for the Tab Ultra I could root my Tab Mini C.
Thanks @Renate for your tools...
Pentam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 09:25 AM   #4
SleepWithMachine
Zealot
SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: some ..
@downeaster59

thank you for your first impressions and stay tuned
SleepWithMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 12:51 PM   #5
Neuropsychology
Between pages
Neuropsychology began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H20
Arrow

What do you think of the color content? How is that at night?
Neuropsychology is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2023, 05:44 PM   #6
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Go 10.3, Boox Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuropsychology View Post
What do you think of the color content? How is that at night?
When you start up the Tab Mini C, the home screen is made up of app icons and book covers against a white (or whitish) background. The icons and book covers are in colors. Text and borders are in black. The colors look like pastels to me - not overly deep or rich, but still colors. They lend a nice touch to the display.

On websites, photos look a bit grainy, but everything else is fine. I wouldn't watch videos on this device, though it is possible.

The Tab Mini C has built-in lighting (as many Eink devices do). You can turn it off, but the contrast with the light off is not great. It's designed to work with the light on. That said, you can easily adjust the light with a "warm" and "cold" blend that is to your liking. The colors look the same at night as during the day.

Since many apps are not designed for grayscale Eink, having a range of colors may make it easier to read some app menus or find certain commands.

Overall, I find that the color content is a nice touch that adds to the device. Call it a touch of eye candy!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 07:04 PM   #7
Neuropsychology
Between pages
Neuropsychology began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H20
Nice, thanks!
Neuropsychology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2024, 06:29 PM   #8
Denodan1
Connoisseur
Denodan1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
After only a day Ghosting on Tab Mini C

Have only had my Mini Tab C for not even 24 hours, the next day turned it on the next day and on balanced mode which I use, Ghosting
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1000013378.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	210881  
Denodan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2024, 09:26 PM   #9
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Really bad ghosting can occur if there is incorrect sensing of the ambient temperature.
Does 6-7 normal (not big black-white-black) updates clear the ghosting?
In the past (and maybe today?) there was only battery temperature sensing.
Try using my UsbMode.apk (in my sig) and see if the temperature reported agrees.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2024, 03:01 AM   #10
Denodan1
Connoisseur
Denodan1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Seems Ghosting disappears when using it, something like 10 mins or 1/2 no Ghosting, only when first Turning on. I the afternoon today was warmer so ko Ghosting, turned it on this morning Ghosting then overtime Ghosting disappeared
Denodan1 is offline   Reply With Quote