Notices

Old Today, 04:57 PM   #1
galax
Enthusiast
galax began at the beginning.

Device: none
images per .xhtml file

Greetings,

Recently dealing with some images I had doubts how many should be included per page.

What's more convenient, filling the ereader RAM to the max with images in order to reduce internal storage I/O, or fill every .xhtml file with a fewer images?

With these two configurations, what would be a smoother turn page experience?

I am not to familiar with epub image loading and its optimal epub formating.

I'd be glad if anybody can throw some light on this matter.

Thanks in advance.
galax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:31 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You don't know what number of pixels wide & high a page is.
You don't know ereader/app ppi.
You don't know physical screen size /ratio
(Media queries only work on some apps and ereaders and platforms).

Epubs that work on any size screen reflow. A new file causes a new page.
Once the page is full, the there is a new page.

The user can change margins, relative line spacing (if there is no line-spacing) and relative font size, so there is no fixed number of pages for two people using the same ereader or same app on same tablet/phone.

Never include line-spacing. It will be automatically suit the font and size, and if not set, the user can change it.

It's only relevant for PDFs and so-called "fixed layout"/"Print replica" to decide on page content in advance, and they need a large screen and are not true ebooks.

Some ereaders will not display if a file is too large.

We test on 4.3" to 10.3" screens for any new kind of content.

Do not be concerned about I/O. In general the more files the better, and a new file starts a new page, so novels at least have a file per chapter. Comics might have a file per layout, so in some cases are one image per file.

Last edited by Quoth; Today at 05:37 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert