Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old Today, 03:06 AM   #1
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur
MrSlow&Steady began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
What's Better? AZW3 or KFX

So I have seen people debate these two formats. Lately I've been advised to switch to AZW3 and been doing so. But I also heard of KFX and now I am stumped about what to do. I am not sure whether to switch. I have already been partway through the process of converting around 3,000 MOBI ebooks into AZW3 and I really don't want to go through this again. And yet KFX is supposed to be better apparently? I am confused.

So what's better? Pros and cons of each?
MrSlow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:06 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The pros of KFX are mostly enhanced typesetting and hyphenation, also the option to set justification on the device. The cons - doesn't work with the FONT-RAMP hack and has a fixed minimum line height.

Personally I used AZW3 when I had Kindles, because the FONT-RAMP hack was essential to me, but it's very much a matter of personal preference.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 05:21 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
AZW3 (KF8) is probably a better source format for further conversion. IMO KFX is more a version just for putting on reading devices.

Last edited by pdurrant; Today at 08:06 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:53 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlow&Steady View Post
So I have seen people debate these two formats. Lately I've been advised to switch to AZW3 and been doing so. But I also heard of KFX and now I am stumped about what to do. I am not sure whether to switch. I have already been partway through the process of converting around 3,000 MOBI ebooks into AZW3 and I really don't want to go through this again. And yet KFX is supposed to be better apparently? I am confused.

So what's better? Pros and cons of each?
With KF8 (It's not AZW3), you can use the Hyphenate This! plugin to add in soft hyphens. Also you can use a font such as ChareInk6SP to reduce the line height. Also, you can edit KF8 eBooks in the calibre editor. You can also use negative L/R margins in HTML to reduce the wasted margin space.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:16 AM   #5
bustacap
PC Dev
bustacap began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Lenovo Tab M10 (3rd gen)
just keep em as epubs and when you upload them through amazon.com/sendtokindle theyll automatically get converted to kfx for most newer kindles that support it
bustacap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert