Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-05-2020, 07:49 PM   #1
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Calibre changed my language in windows 10

I have the PC with Dual-Boot Windows 10 / Linux.
Calibre installed in both operating systems, I did not make any modifications in windows, but calibre changed to English. In Linux no problem. I already tried reinstalling Calibre and the language persists. What dou you recommend.
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:01 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For one, you can really mess up your library if you access it with different operating systems such as Windows and Linux. I suggest you uninstall Calibre in Linux and just use Windows.

As for Windows, just go into the Windows settings and change the language to whatever it is you normally use.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2020, 08:10 PM   #3
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For one, you can really mess up your library if you access it with different operating systems such as Windows and Linux. I suggest you uninstall Calibre in Linux and just use Windows.

As for Windows, just go into the Windows settings and change the language to whatever it is you normally use.
I have been using Calibre this way for over 10 years and had no problems. In any case I will uninstall Windows and use only Linux.
Windows I have it in Spanish and it only changes the language to English to Calibre, as if the Calibre translation did not exist.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:36 PM   #4
dunhill
Guru

I already solved it, false alarm !!
Run the welcome wizard and I was able to change the language to Calibre.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:53 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Preferences: Look and Feel is the other way to set Language
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2020, 08:54 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post
I already solved it, false alarm !!
Run the welcome wizard and I was able to change the language to Calibre.
To be honest, Windows is where Calibre is best run. Do not run in Linux as well as you can screw up your library.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:58 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
To be honest, Windows is where Calibre is best run. Do not run in Linux as well as you can screw up your library.
This is a crazy comment.

You do give loads of good advice, but running the NATIVE Linux version of Calibre on Linux is no more likely to mess your library than Windows 10.

You seem to use windows. Leave Linux advice to people that have been using it, deploying it and teaching it for over 20 years. Most ordinary users now have less problems on Linux (most seem to use Mint) than on Windows 10.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:35 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think USB (MTP) support has more problems on Linux, but that is NOT Calibres fault or a real issue if you pay attention to ONLY ONE at a time.
IIRC there is even a Calibre PI that ONLY supports Linux (and there is no Only Windows PI)

FWIW You can make W10 NTFS folders case sensitive (Google comes up with a number of tutorials), which should help with OS flipping users.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:08 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
NT since 1993 was able to have case sensitive folders and files on NTFS. It was win 3.x and Win 9.x/ME and FAT that's broken. Posix mode.

I only ever had an USB (MTP) issue with my new Android tablet, and only with Calibre. You have to unmount it or the filemanager has exclusive access. I was even able to access the iphone 4S on Linux (itunes only on XP) and the Palm PDA has a native USB client via the standard Software manager listing. I was curious. But I'm NOT going to read books on an 160 x 160 pixel screen. I'm boggled that there is a PDF viewer. The two kinds of PDB ebooks do work and Calibre and can do both sorts.

Creative Audio box and Wacom tablet just work. On XP, Win7 and Win10 the wrong USB drivers install.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:53 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I think USB (MTP) support has more problems on Linux, but that is NOT Calibres fault or a real issue if you pay attention to ONLY ONE at a time.
IIRC there is even a Calibre PI that ONLY supports Linux (and there is no Only Windows PI)

FWIW You can make W10 NTFS folders case sensitive (Google comes up with a number of tutorials), which should help with OS flipping users.
But making NTFS case insensitive could cause other problems. It's not worth the risk. Just stick with Windows and forget Linux when dealing with eBooks.

According to Kovid, Linux has the least Calibre users but the most support requests.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:16 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
But making NTFS case insensitive could cause other problems. It's not worth the risk. Just stick with Windows and forget Linux when dealing with eBooks.

According to Kovid, Linux has the least Calibre users but the most support requests.
Jon, for what it's worth, I have had very few issues running calibre under Windows or Linux. Mac OSX has been more of an issue at times.

Consider the number of Windows users that are running into issues with graphics drivers and QT 5. Given that Linux is even less homogeneous than Windows, it is not all that surprising that Linux users lacking the experience of say, eschwartz, when it comes to configuring calibre for a Linux distribution and those who insist on running an antique version of calibre since that is what the distro repository has are more liable to run into issues especially since my personal experience has been that for most graphics drivers, Linux is the red-headed stepchild.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:25 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
proportionally the most…

I haven't seen it said, nor seen any numbers, but I suspect Sigil's Linux support burden is similarly disproportionate.

The problems with Linux are a) as previously posted, it assumes every one is Eli Schwartz, b) it decided to get into the application software distribution business. In part at least, I lay the blame for the big-boys walled gardens on the advent of Linux repositories .

[pet peeve]Why can't ITC invent its own terms, repo has meant Repurchase Agreement since before Linus Torvalds was born, or his parents, or perhaps even his grandparents.[/pet peeve]

Stay indoors

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:12 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Think about it! Every dog has a variant of Linux because they think they can do it best
Just look at how many include the most current version of Calibre Nil

If they really wanted to serve, they would just bundle up the command line that Kovid has on the Linux page and have that available
Old 04-07-2020, 12:17 AM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
[pet peeve]Why can't ITC invent its own terms, repo has meant Repurchase Agreement since before Linus Torvalds was born, or his parents, or perhaps even his grandparents.[/pet peeve]

Stay indoors

BR
And here I thought it was short for repossession. As in the repo man took my car away after I missed a few payments.

For Linux, it just might be short for repository.

At least those two make sense. Shouldn't it be a repa or repag not a repo?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:37 AM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Google Ngram reveals Repurchase Agreement (1920) owns repo by right of first possession - repo man 1965 D

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote