Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-31-2016, 02:33 PM   #1
persiansphinx
persiansphinx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire 2015 7"
How do I sync changed files from my Fire to Calibre with Calibre Companion?

So I read my books on my Fire, using my laptop as a archive/backup base. I use Calibre Companion to sync my files. Is it possible that I can sync my files on my laptop with the highlighted, annotated ones that I have on my Fire, so the notes are backed up too? Most of my files are PDFs if that matters at all.

I've already lost about 15 hours of intense note-taking 4 weeks before my essays
persiansphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:19 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Sorry, but CC does not support automatically syncing book files up to calibre or syncing book files between devices. Annotations are even worse because they are often stored in some mysterious file that neither CC nor calibre know about, so even if CC could up-sync the files the annotations would be lost.

If the annotations are stored inside the book then with some amount of pain you can upload the book to calibre and replace the book in the library. Have CC connect to calibre as a wireless device, go to calibre's device view, right click on the book in question, and upload it to the computer. Then in calibre's library view go to the book in question, edit its metadata, then drag the book onto the formats list to replace the format that is already in the library. Yes, this is not easy. And no, it won't change.

Your best bet is to use a reader app that stores annotations somewhere in the cloud and depend on that for syncing. That won't get the annotations into calibre, but at least they are stored somewhere.

Another possibility is to do what I did when I was writing on my PhD dissertation: put the notes into a bibliographic manager. That way they are available when writing papers or studying. They won't be lost because they are separate from the book. This method also works when referencing (shock) a journal version of the document.

Last edited by chaley; 03-31-2016 at 03:22 PM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2016, 12:31 AM   #3
persiansphinx
persiansphinx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire 2015 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Sorry, but CC does not support automatically syncing book files up to calibre or syncing book files between devices. Annotations are even worse because they are often stored in some mysterious file that neither CC nor calibre know about, so even if CC could up-sync the files the annotations would be lost.

If the annotations are stored inside the book then with some amount of pain you can upload the book to calibre and replace the book in the library. Have CC connect to calibre as a wireless device, go to calibre's device view, right click on the book in question, and upload it to the computer. Then in calibre's library view go to the book in question, edit its metadata, then drag the book onto the formats list to replace the format that is already in the library. Yes, this is not easy. And no, it won't change.

Your best bet is to use a reader app that stores annotations somewhere in the cloud and depend on that for syncing. That won't get the annotations into calibre, but at least they are stored somewhere.

Another possibility is to do what I did when I was writing on my PhD dissertation: put the notes into a bibliographic manager. That way they are available when writing papers or studying. They won't be lost because they are separate from the book. This method also works when referencing (shock) a journal version of the document.
ok thanks. i use moon+ reader, ill look if i can use my cloud storage with that for storage. I hate writing notes outside of the book, unless the book is in physical format then its ok to write in my notebook i guess.

thanks for the answer!
persiansphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:44 AM   #4
gandoe
Enthusiast
gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.gandoe can eat soup with a fork.

Device: none
if using Moon+ pro, you can "share" your annotations (highlights, notes, etc) to another platform/application....this is exactly how I manage my booknotes, by sharing to Evernote into a specific notebook.

see here:
http://hubpages.com/technology/Best-...ts-Moon-Reader

http://www.anamardoll.com/2011/06/er...taking-in.html

you
gandoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:41 PM   #5
happylife
happylife began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung galaxy tab
see my thead for a possible solution

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=274631
happylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2016, 01:02 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by persiansphinx View Post
ok thanks. i use moon+ reader, i'll look if i can use my cloud storage with that for storage. I hate writing notes outside of the book, unless the book is in physical format then its ok to write in my notebook i guess.

thanks for the answer!
moon+ , with dropbox sync enabled, places an annotations file for each book into your dropbox, with file extension .an & it claims to reliably sync whenever you change book or exit the app. it writes a separate .po file per book for last page read.
I gave more details in a different thread on here, when asking if CC could access this stuff
my dropbox path to those files is
C:\Dropbox\Apps\Books\.Moon+\Cache

moon+ also offers a google drive sync which I have not yet tried.

those files are left in dropbox even if you delete the book from within moon+ or from within Calibre Companion
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:26 PM   #7
loviedovie
Addict
loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bookeen
Use Koreader+Syncthing+Calibre Folder device to sync across devices. This is what I do. Koreader creates a folder with proper data (reading stuff, settings etc) in the same folder as the book you read in Koreader. Then Syncthing syncs across devices.

You can use the folder device of Calibre to move books in and out of your Calibre database. Basically you mount the folder that is synced across devices on your laptop as a device.

However this method undos Calibre Companiion a bit, although you can still use Calibre Companion on your device to browse local and calibre repositories.

Last edited by loviedovie; 06-18-2016 at 09:32 PM.
loviedovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:51 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by loviedovie View Post
Use Koreader+Syncthing+Calibre Folder device to sync across devices. This is what I do. Koreader creates a folder with proper data (reading stuff, settings etc) in the same folder as the book you read in Koreader. Then Syncthing syncs across devices.

You can use the folder device of Calibre to move books in and out of your Calibre database. Basically you mount the folder that is synced across devices on your laptop as a device.

However this method undos Calibre Companiion a bit, although you can still use Calibre Companion on your device to browse local and calibre repositories.
See your other thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275346) for reasons you might not want to do this.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote