Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 03-12-2008, 06:43 AM   #1
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Question How should I handle an index in an ebook?

I work for a small, niche publisher. We have a steady seller that we're running low on, but it's not high enough volume to warrant going back to press with it. Given my zeal for ebooks, I've been given the job of turning this into an ebook as our first volley into the format.

This book, as most of our books, contains an index. I'm curious how others on the forum would prefer to see indices handled in an ebook. I'm reluctant to eliminate it entirely and rely on people using the search function. I've sold them on providing this book in non-DRMed Mobipocket and LIT formats, so whatever method I choose needs to work with this.

xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:16 AM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
For those formats you get very limited options: an inline-HTML TOC.
For mobipocket: put a link to the TOC at the beginning of the book, put the TOC itself at the end of the book (different xml file), and make sure that in the OPF file, the XML with the TOC is specified as such.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2008, 07:17 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I would leave the index out of the first draft because I have the feeling that it will take almost as much work as the rest of the book.

The best way to implement an index would be to link from the word in the index to where it is found in the text.If you do it manually, this could be a lot of work. If you can find a way to automate some of this process, that would be good.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:13 AM   #4
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'm not really looking for the procedure to create an index, I can handle that part. What I'm looking for is opinions on how you'd like to see indices handled in ebooks. I don't necessarily think that the pbook model is ideal for ebooks and I'd like to explore how an index might be retooled for ebooks. Should an index even exist in a format that has searching ability?
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by xianfox View Post
I'm not really looking for the procedure to create an index, I can handle that part. What I'm looking for is opinions on how you'd like to see indices handled in ebooks. I don't necessarily think that the pbook model is ideal for ebooks and I'd like to explore how an index might be retooled for ebooks. Should an index even exist in a format that has searching ability?
An index is useful as it is smarter than a straight search. An index is fine at the end of the document so long as there is a link to the index in the TOC so the user knows it exists and has a good way to get to it. TOC handling is not universal in that sometimes it cannot be found easily so placing it at the beginning as early as possible always helps. The Index could be anywhere after that since the toc can be used to skip over it.

An index serves the purpose of finding text but it also has topical uses and can even reference items that are implied in the text but no singe would will do. It can also be browsed by some users as a way into the document. Creating an index is a lot of work but does increase the usability of an electronic document as well as a paper one. Of course for electronic it should include links, page numbers are not very useful.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
As others have suggested, you can lhyperlink the appropriate words in the text. and jump to a separate index entry.

One other thought comes to mind. If you make your index into a dictionary, those entries could be called up by clicking on a word in the text of the book. Both Mobipocket Reader and MS Reader support multiple dictionaries. This would make things more integrated into the reading process, as opposed to jumping totally out of the ebook to a separate index.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:29 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenny View Post
As others have suggested, you can lhyperlink the appropriate words in the text. and jump to a separate index entry.

One other thought comes to mind. If you make your index into a dictionary, those entries could be called up by clicking on a word in the text of the book. Both Mobipocket Reader and MS Reader support multiple dictionaries. This would make things more integrated into the reading process, as opposed to jumping totally out of the ebook to a separate index.
This is exactly the opposite of any index I have ever seen. This is the definition of a glossary. An index jumps into the text not out of it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:01 PM   #8
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xianfox View Post
Cybook Gen 3 doesn't have search ability, I don't know how many other readers don't. It would require a linked index for the user to get any benefit.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:39 PM   #9
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
Note to self - take brain out of autopilot before posting to forums.

Yes, I was thinking about something else when I posted earlier. However, if anyone needs to do a glossary, what I suggested might be worth trying.

Autopilot engaged...
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:03 AM   #10
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
My wife took the USDA basic indexing course and is taking the advanced now --- an index is more than a collection of words, but a creative effort in itself if done properly, and it's well worth keeping it.

In an ebook which reflows there is the issue of what to use for the markers in the index to refer back to specific references when there's more than one --- my thought would be that the index should be re-worked so that each such marker is a unique word, so instead of:

hanging punctuation, 27, 37, 57

you'd have:

hanging punctuation
advantages of
implementation as an ``easier problem'' in TeX
support in page layout programs

Since one doesn't have the page count limitations of a printed book, the index can be much richer and more verbose.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote